Need help with home theater setup w/surround

Steve in Lakeland
IM GOING CRAZY TRYING TO FIGURE THIS OUT!! PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE HELP!

Ok, here goes. Ive got a HT setup that consists of Dish network satellite, Philips Magnavox tv, JVC VCR, Toshiba DVD, and Technics receiver. Up until a year ago it was all hoked up nice - everything worked fine, and I even got surround sound from my satellite to come through the speakers when watching HBO, NFL, etc...I had to move for a year and unhooked everything without labeling it cuz I thought I could figure it out again. Well, I was wrong. Everything works except for surround sound when watching satellite TV. I get surround when watching VCR tapes and DVDs, but when watching an HBO movie thats broadcast in surround, it doesnt come through my speakers. My satellite box is about 8 years old (dish network) and I cant figure out how to hook everything up the way I had it before. Ill give a rundown on all the connectors/inputs for each component.

TV:
ANT "B" (pip), ANT "A"
Monitor out (yellow, red, white)
unmarked (green,blue,red)
AV1 in (yellow, red, white)
AV2 in (yellow, red, white)
(1) s-video

VCR:
ANT IN
RF OUT
IN (yellow, red, white)
OUT (yellow, red, white)
MONO (Video, L audio, R audio) all gold colored on front of VCR

DVD:
(1) S-Video
VIDEO out (yellow) and (green,blue,red)
Analog (red, white)
(1) orange coaxial optical digital
(1) I-P selector switch (set to "I")

Satellite box (really old):
Satellite IN (threaded type)
TV set OUT (threaded type)
TV ANT/Cable in (threaded type)
AV1 (yellow, red, white)
AV2 (yellow, red, white)
(1) s-video

receiver (pertinent connectors)
DVD audio (red, white)
TV IN (yellow, red, white)
TV Monitor out (yellow)
VCR OUT (yelow, red, white)
VCR IN (yellow, red, white)

receiver also has dvd 6ch inputs which Im not surrently using, and NO s-video input.

Ive been switching cables around trying to find the magic combo I had before I tore everything down last year, but I just cant find it. Ill buy anyone who helps me figure this out a twinkie and a cup of coffee should we ever meet.

Thanks in advance
SLEEPLESS IN LAKELAND FLORIDA

Steve in Lakeland
BTW, I did a search and read a few of Dereks older posts in the "DVD to TV to VCR" thread but Im not sure that my components have the same hookups he was talking about (no variable connectors on tv or receiver, and the receiver doesnt have any aux inputs, etc)...

I REALLY want to hear tv shows in surround, and I know its possible with this setup as I stumbled into it the first time around...

Any help is greatly appreciated.

James Miller
Hmm...this might help...let me know if it works. Start with the source signal, the satellite. It comes from the wall and goes into your satellite box, which, you've stated, has both RCA connects (Red, White, and Yellow) as well as coaxial (threaded type) connectors.

Hook the satellite signal from the wall into the satellite system. Now you have two main issues you want to figure out...sound and picture.

There are actually several "right" answers, but here's what I would suggest because of the age of your equipment (I'd suggest getting a new receiver, honestly, and really good VCR's can be had for as little as $60. A new receiver will expand your options for sound and video quality and simplicity of your setup, because your receiver is supposed to be the brains/nervous center of the whole system).

From the satellite box, send the signal via coaxial cable to your VCR Ant in port.

Then take another coaxial cable and send this from your RF out port to your television set ant A (sorry, PIP isn't part of my equation).

Next, send a red yellow white from TV monitor out to receiver's TV in.

Okay, sound is setup from televsion and VCR is included. Now for the DVD.

Green blue red (composite video -- highest quality DVD video) from DVD to your TV's composite input (you said unlabeled).

Analog (red white) from DVD to receiver's DVD audio.

Now depending on your equipment, you will have to figure out which needs to be on, but I think this might work.

You now have the option of either using your S-Video directly from the satellite box(recommended) or a single RCA cable from receiver's TV monitor out to your TV's monitor out port. If you don't want sound from your TV set, and just use the stereo, then you won't need to worry about hooking sound into your set at this time.

If you get a new receiver, make sure it has plenty of room for expansion, S-Video and optical sound etc. Optical sound is a lot easier to connect than 5.1 or 6.1. My setup includes TV, DVD, VCR, Playstation 2, and digital cable...and all but the VCR use digital sound...the sound is earth shaking! Good luck!

Steve in Lakeland
Thanks James, just one thing I dont get from your response...

>>>Next, send a red yellow white from TV monitor out to receiver's TV in.

You now have the option of either using your S-Video directly from the satellite box(recommended) or a single RCA cable from receiver's TV monitor out to your TV's monitor out port. If you don't want sound from your TV set, and just use the stereo, then you won't need to worry about hooking sound into your set at this time.<<<<

the 2nd paragraph confuses me...the TVs monitor out ports are already being used (going to the receiver's TV IN ports). But I DO remember the single TV Monitor out port on my receiver being used when I had it setup before...

And I dont need anything going to/from the VCR in/out ports??? Or to the receiver's VCR in/out ports?

Now im really confused. Its so frustrating knowing I had it working before and just cant find the right configuration to make it work again. AARRGH!

James Miller
First off, disregard the second paragraph...it was part of another solution I was thinking of using. Remember, there are several answers which will work. My solution bypassed your receiver's VCR issues. If you want, you can move the VCR to be controlled by the receiver by instead coaxial direct from the satellite to the TV...the problem is, I don't know what your AV1 and AV2 are being used for...input or output signal. You have to get the satellite signal to your receiver somehow in order to get the surround sound. Tell you what...why don't you buy my Kenwood HTB-504 system from me (sans subwoofer and two main front speakers--for details on THAT story, read my post), I'll buy a new sound system and receiver, and we'll both be happy. j/k :)

Sorry about that...the thing is actually really confusing, which is why I recommended a new receiver. What's supposed to happen is the receiver is the brains of the whole system, and can readily take any signal in, and send any signal out. The problem is, rarely do any of us buy a TV, DVD player, Satellite receiver, speaker system, and receiver all at the same time. (I wish I had the funds to do so.) So the most vital portion is the receiver. Mine has 5 S-Video inputs, 1 composite input, 2 optical sound inputs, various CD/MP3/Cassette RCA inputs, you get the idea. It has enough to handle most I could send its way--given today's technology. The best way I could tell you to fix your system, without actually seeing it, is to draw a picture (here's the engineer in me).

Identify your source signals...in your case, you've got a DVD, satellite, and VCR signals.

Identify your outputs...in your case TV and speakers.

Now the trick is to get those signals to run together using the setup you have. It's SUPPOSED to happen where everything runs through your receiver. Hence, satellite to receiver, receiver to TV and VCR (to record television) and to the speakers. Then DVD to the receiver to the TV/Speakers. With your setup, I recommended sending the pure S-Video directly from your satellite to the TV, since you won't get as much signal loss with S-Video as you would with RCA, but you'll bypass the receiver............this is all very confusing, I know, but the best thing you can do is DRAW A PICTURE of each of your components and remember there are two portions of the signal you care about, audio and visual. Get them both someway to your TV, and then to your speakers.

Steve in Lakeland
James, you have no idea how much help youve been. I owe you a case of twinkies and a gallon of joe.

I finally found what I was doing wrong....I was running cables like this (yellow,red,white)

satellite's AV1 ---> vcr's IN
vcr's OUT ---> receiver's VCR IN
nothing going to tv's AV1 IN

Heres what worked:
satellite's AV1 ---> vcr's IN
vcr's OUT ---> tv's AV1 IN
satellite's AV2 (audio) ---> receiver's VCR IN (audio)

Thats it! As usual, it was something quite simple. I was overthinking things a bit and got all muddled.

One I read and re-read your responses again (slowly), it took me all of 5 minutes to figure it out.

Thanks again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This board rocks.

Derek
My March 27th post is exactly your system. Get that up and running. I wouldn't worry about S-Video, Dolby digital or 5.1 direct input until your outgrow them. Since all of your devices don't support these formats, there will be some additional switching involved.

I have a jbl take 2 and my receiver doesn't have a sub out or in in the back of it. Is there anywhere else I can hook it up to so I can get it working?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us