Setting up my A / V Receiver

Username: Rhariv

Singapore

Post Number: 1
All,

I have a problem in setting up my AV Receiver. I have an Onkyo TX-SR605. I connected my DVD player (Philips) video and Audio in to the AV Receiver and connected HDMI cable from AV Receiver to my TV. My TV is Panasonic 37 Inch LCD, HDMI Ready and has 2 HDMI inputs. My problem is that i am getting Video but not audio. Am i missing anything. Please help.

I tried changing in my T.V digital and analog input to HDMI, assigned it in AV and tried everything as per manual. Please let me know if i need to do anything more.

Bronze Member
Username: Cclashh

Post Number: 27
It sounds like you need to attach audio output from the DVD to the Receiver using Digital Coax (orange) or optical cable. Is this what you are asking? The HDMI to the receiver just acts as a swith nothing else. It does not supply sound to the receiver. Dou have trusurround -a 7.1 setup on the receiver?

Singapore

Post Number: 2
Hello Jeff,

I connected from my DVD player to Receiver using the Yellow, White and Red cable only and did not connect using the Digital cable. Do i still need to do that connection using the Digital input?

From AV to T.V i am connecting using HDMI. Is that not enough? I am able to get picture in my T.V set and not sound. The AV Receiver will not get this signal and convert to the respective HDMI to T.V?

Please advise.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 29
Let me explain the difference between the different types of output you can have. I will list them in order of quuality starting from the lowest.

Video:
Red/White/Yellow (standard A/V) -Lowest Quality (analog)
S-video -Good (analog)
Component -Better (analog)
DVI -Better than component (Digital)
HDMI -Best (uncompressed digital)

Sound:
Red & White Standard audio -lowest (analog)
Digital Coax -Better (orange RCA type connector -digital)
Optical -Best (digital)

To understand the difference in video outputs I would google it as it is way too involved for me to explain here.

You should use the best output that you have for any device you are working with so if the DVD has component output then use that. If it has HDMI then use that. The only way you would use red/white/yellow would be if that is all that dvd player has and that is unlikely.

Let me try to explain how a Surround sound receiver works. First, it only processes sound so to setup the sound coming from the receiver you will connect the component (dvd or otherwise) using one of the above listed methods for sound. The preffered method would be digital coax and or optical with optical being the first choice. You need to do this in order to have the ability to decode Dolby Digital 5.1 or DTS 5.1. Using the red/white you will only get Dolby Pro Logic.

The rest of the inputs and outputs on a receiver are just there to act as a switch for your components so the video signal you send thru the receiver is merely passing thru the receiver to the TV to give you a picture on the TV. For example say you have 3 HDMI devices and only one HDMI input on the TV but the receiver has 3 HDMI inputs and one HDMI output. In this situation you could connect the 3 devices to the reciever and then connect the HDMI out to your TV and use the receiver input selector to select the device you want to see a picture for on the TV. You should be able to understand from this example that where video is concerned the receiver is just a switch. Connecting an HDMI cable to the Receiver will not give you sound from the receiver but will give you sound from the TV itself. Again to get the sound from the receiver you will have to connect the sound output from the component to the receiver using digital coax or optical.

Username: Joemac88

Ormond Beach, FL

Post Number: 1
Jeff,
Novice here and can see you know your stuff. Would you provide me with the proper setup on my equipment? Assuming I have all the wires:
Vizio 46" HD (Every connection possible)
Onkyo SR304
Generic but newer DVD player
Directv HD-DVR
Built in surround with wall mount clustered connection.

Thanks in advance

Joe

Bronze Member

Post Number: 30
Joseph, be glad to. I need to know what the best outputs you have are on the DVD, and Directv HD-DVR box. You can determine which are the best based on my last post.. Also more importantly than having all possible inputs on the TV how many of each type of input do you have on the TV?

Singapore

Post Number: 3
Jeff,

That was a wonderful explanation. To give you more detail let me give you what i have and what i have done. You can tell me what i have done wrong and provde some corrective actions.

My T.V - Panasonic - TX-37LX75M (37 Inch LCD) HDMI Ready.
My DVD Player - Phillips progressive scan Divx player.
AV Receiver Onkyo TXSR605 7.1 support that has True HD, Dolby and DTS.

Now i have.
1. 1 Component Cable.
2. Monster Cable for Audio (White and Red types) and Video separate. Usual ones Yellow, White and Red cables also i have.
4. 1 S-Video Cable.
5. 1 HDMI Cable.

As per AV Receiver manual they had asked me to connect all the output from DVD or Cable Satellite to AV Receiver. Make HDMI Monitor ="Yes" so that all input to AV Receiver is converted to HDMI and connect only HDMI cable to my T.V.

My AV Receiver has 2 HDMI Inpus and 1 HDMI output.
My T.V has 2 HDMI inputs.

Now i connected Monster Cables (Normal audio video ones) From my DVD to my AV Receiver In (Audio) and In (Video). Similarly i connected my Yellow, White and Red cable from my Cable to AV Receiver In (Audio - White and Red) and In (Video - Yellow).

From my AV Receiver HDMI Out i connected my HDMI cable to TV HDMI In in the first one. Tried with 2 also.

Changed the settings in AV for Monitor HDMI = "Yes". Now i am getting only Video and not Audio.

Now, do i need to connect the Digital coax also from DVD to AV Receiver. That cable i don't have i need to buy one. I have connected my audio in anyway (Monster cable), does it make any difference?

My DVD player and Cable set does not have S-Video support but i still have the cable.

What else do i need to do or buy?

Please advise.

I am pasting what is said in the AV Receiver manual down below
"With the HDMI Monitor setting set to Yes (see page 47), video input signals flow through the AV receiver/AV amplifier as shown, with composite
video, S-Video, and component video sources all being upconverted for the HDMI output. Use this setting if you connect the AV receiver/AV amplifier's HDMI OUT to your TV. The composite video, S-Video, and component video outputs pass through their respective input signals as they are."

Please also give me the best combination with whatever DVD or Cable and other equipments i have so that i can buy the respective cables if necessary (Coaxial or Optical).

Regards.
Hari

Bronze Member

Post Number: 35
Give me some time Hari. I will let you know exactly how to do this but please don't give up and stop checking this topic as I will need to invest some time to give you the best way and I don't want it to be wasted so keep checking. I don't mind doing this I enjoy this stuff :-)

Bronze Member

Post Number: 36
Hari, I need to know exactly what outputs your DVD and Cable box have including sound and video. Just look on the back of the devices and tell me what they say. If you are not sure what they are tell me anyway.

Singapore

Post Number: 4
My DVD has Yellow, Red and White holder for Output and RGB component outputs. Apart from that one Black Digital output.

Cable has only Yellow Red and White Outputs. No component and digital outputs.

No S-Video and HDMI in both.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 38
Joseph McCormick If you are looking for my reply its in the thread called "Help with New Setup" because that is where you replied to me last. I forgot to address you by name but my reply is just after your last one.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 41
Hari, to get the results you are looking for you will want to connect the dvd sound using an optical cable so you will need one of them. I will explain how to do this later. You will want to connect the video for the dvd using the component cable you have. With the cable box you have only one choice yellow/red/white which will be analog. I have a couple of questions before I can proceed. When you are trying to get sound from the receiver are you selecting the input you attached the dvd or cable box sound to using the input selector on the front of the receiver? You can tell what input you used because it will be identified on the back of the receiver where you plugged it in. Do you realize that you are not getting high def from your cable? Is this because its not offered in your area?

Singapore

Post Number: 5
Sorry for a late reply. Timezone problem. I am in Singapore and HMDI is coming up soon here. Still Digital is available. I have just bought a Optical Coaxial cable for Digital Input and Output and connected to my DVD Digital output (Black one) and AV Receiver Digital Input (Black one). I did not connect the Component out put to my AV from DVD but the yelow usual one. I have several inputs in the name of "Cable, TV, Stellite, DVD, GAme,TV and so on". The input i chose was DVD for DVD. Plugged my PINs in that Input area after choosing DVD. Then my HDMI out from my receiver goes to HDMI In of T.V. When i choose i get the picture immediately but not the sound.

Singapore

Post Number: 6
Hello Jeff,

I heard from one of the shoppers that the HDMI connect to T.V upconverts only Video and not Audio. Is it true? I mean connecting using Audio Video and Component cables as described based on my settings and connecting to T.V using HDMI.

Regards.
Hari.

Platinum Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 14397
Yes it is true. Upconverters deal only with video and not audio.

Singapore

Post Number: 7
Does it then mean that HDMI cable is used for Video only and for Audio we still need to connect the speakers with the A/V Receiver. Can't we here audio from TV with only on cable connecting from AV Receiver to TV, which is HDMI.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14421
You misunderstand.

It is true that HDMI is a one cable solution for transmitting both audio AND video, but just because it upscales video signal does not necessarily mean it will do the same with audio. So what it is doing is just passing the audio signals along and not doing any processing whatsoever. The audio processing is done via the receiver.

What kind of audio upscaling are you expecting?

Singapore

Post Number: 9
Hello Berny,

My T.V is 1080i (HDMI Ready). What would be the upscaling for Audio. I have bought Mirage speakers and connected it to the Onkyo Receiver and now i am getting sound from Speaker but still not getting from T.V. Do i need to buy any specific HDMI cable with Audio or all supports Video only. I hear HDMI also supports Audio.

I would like to have your opinion and view on Mirage Nano Sat 5.1 speakers. How is it basically?

Regards.
Hari.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14536
You will not get any audio upscaling. There is no such thing.

If you want the audio from your TV to be processed by your receiver, you need to connect the audio output from your TV to the receiver.

I like Mirage speakers, and I think that they handle HT very well.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 42
Berny, does that HDMI 1.3a upconvert really improve the picture?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 43
Oh and there is all kinds of audio upscaling just not what he is expecting :-) Dolby Pro-logic for example tries to upscale stereo to 5.1 My Onkyo has like ten audio upscaling options.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14540
That is not upscaling, that is just sound processing. And it's been around for a while but I have never heard called upscaling until now.

HDMI does not upconvert, that is the job of the DVD player or the receiver. It improves the picture a little bit, it resamples the imaging and sharpens it a bit.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 44
I am not sure how you define upscaling then. Maybe I misunderstand. I would think that if the sound is trying to be "processed" to something more desirable than what it is that it would be defined as "upscaling." Here are webster's thoughts on this; "to improve the quality, value, or rating of", "To raise to a higher level; upgrade." In my example I think that webster's definition applies unless you think (Berny) that the vast array of improvements that decoders "process" stereo to are not upgrades, improvements, or a higher quality of stereo that is.

I also think you are a little confused on your use of the word upconvert. I totally disagree with you on this as well. How can taking the lowest quality composite signal and converting it to the highest quality hdmi signal not be considered an upconversion and if it is not one then Why Bother?? You are taking a word that does not really even have a legitimate definition and telling everyone else that only your definition is correct. I do see the comparison you are trying to make but it is at best narrow minded!

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14573
Dude, you are getting too caught up in semantics. We just did not use the term upconverting or upscaling in audio. We just use the term "Audio Processing". Dolby labs did it with the pro-logic, noise reduction, etc....then there's DTS, ....so on and so forth. They already have the capacity to process stereo signals and turn it into something else, be it bad or better or what have you, it just was not termed "upscaling audio or upconverting audio" to DTS, Surround Sound, ProLogic, Tru Surround, Stereo Expand....

A prime example would be the older TV sets that have SRS or some other form of sound processing that gives the illusion of audio improvement to the consumer. Since it is an upgrade...could they then ,market this processing as "upscaling or upconverting stereo signals to surround format"?

And relax...no one here is beholden to my definitions and I do not remember laying claim "that only" my definition is correct...legitimate or not.

Maybe I was not clear that I have never heard it called audio upscaling before.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 45
You are right about it being semantics. In fact that is exactly my point. I still think that your aproach to this is narrow minded. You are a little caught up in techno-speak and you did make the statements that my statement that it was upscaling or upconversion were incorrect. I was merely pointing out that point you are making applies in a sense but does not disqualify my statements that the processing that you describe are an attempt to improve the sound and therefore qualify as upscaling. The converion of lower forms of video signal to higher forms of video signal are conversions and are in an "upward" direction therefore the application of the word upconversion is acceptable. Just because dvd players are described as upconverting 480p to 720p, 1080i, or 1080p does not restrict the word upconversion to just that application and I think this is where you are confused. Please tell me if I misunderstand? -Thanks! for the interesting conversation :-)

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14576
Yes you misunderstand. :-)

Bronze Member

Post Number: 46
Ok, now that is a little unfair :-) Please elaborate...

Bronze Member

Post Number: 48
Hari if you are still here where are you with your setup now...?

Bronze Member

Singapore

Post Number: 11
Guys,

I was enjoying the fight :-)) please go on.

My setup is done but still i am getting audio only from my Speaker connected to my Onkyo A/V Receiver. Only HDMI cable is connected to T.V from my Receiver set. Trying to find out what needs to be done to get the audio from T.V also along with the speakers. Please help to throw your ideas.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 84
You will have to connect the audio output on the cable box to the audio in on the AVR using standard analog audio cables (red and white.) When you want to hear this sound change the input selector on front of the AVR to the input you used on the back of the receiver. You should hear sound. Make sure that the digital input for the input you used is on the blank setting. If it is set to optical or coax you will not hear sound...

Bronze Member

Singapore

Post Number: 12
Jeff,

Yes i did everything. I had mentioned it in one of my postings earlier all connections i had made. My connection to T.V is HDMI only. Initially i was getting Vide only and no Audio. Conencted Digital Coax to A/V receiver from my DVD. After connecting the speakers to my A/V receiver i was able to get sound from speakers but not from T.V.

Regards.
Hari.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us