5.1 but only two cables

Username: Futureman22

Post Number: 1
I'm sure this is the simplest of simple questions, but it has always bothered me that I have 2 cables (rca) running from my DVD player to the receiver and yet it is magically decoded into 5.1? Is this true, or does the decoder fabricate the other 3.1 signals? Is there a better connection choice to get "true" 5.1 sound? The optical perhaps? Maybe I just don't get it.

Bronze Member
Username: Jdsaenz1

Post Number: 24
If your DVD and receiver are connected by rca cables, the receiver is most likely providing a simulated 5.1 effect, maybe with Dolby ProLogic or ProLogic II. If your DVD has an optical out, and your receiver has an optical in, then the use of this type of cable is the best way to go. This will give you a truly 'digital' sound; the receiver can process the 5.1 or DTS surround information on the DVD.

dtscitizen
Unregistered guest
I also have a similar question.
AV receiver has 5 analog input (5.1) but no digital input (no dts decoder) and it connects to the dvd player 5 analog output (5.1). dvd player has dts/dd decoder and has digital output.

Can I get a truly digital sound when watching dts or dd 5.1 dvd on this ht system?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 37
I think it's the same as the aforementioned concern: the sound may be ProLogic. But, out of curiosity, what brand and model are your receiver and DVD?

dtscitizen
Unregistered guest
Thanks for you reply.
I have a pioneer dvd player but I forgot the model as I am not in my room now. I am using the internet in internet caffee so I will check it when I go back to my room.
AV receiver is sherman (i think it is from germany) and cheaper one so it has no digital input.

I have some questions.
What about the sound comes out from the 5.1 channal outputs of dvd player when playing the SACD or DVD-A?
Are these two sound formats not a truly digital sound?
Why should we use direct channals inputs/outputs instead of using digital coxial/optical which will give the truly digital surround sound?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 40
From what I've read online, SACD and DVD-A are both digital formats which utilize multi-channel sound (like DD and DTS for movies). I'm not 100% on what decoding is going on when playing these types of discs, but I assume that the digital output needs to be used in order to reap the benefits of the multi-channel (5.1) sound. Let me know what models your equipment are for the previous concern.

Anonymous

actually only top of the line Sony, Denon (maybe others) allow SACD and DVD-Audio to be output digitally. Due to copyright concerns by the industry, only proprietary digital connections (Sony's limited firewire, Denonlink)are available to output digital DVD-A/SACD. With both sony and denon's equipment costing about $3000 a piece.( and you have to have both their flagship DVD player and flagship receiver for them to work) ALL other players output DVD-Audio and SACD by the analog (RCA) outputs. Depending on the equipment some DVD players decoding technology is superior to that of the receiver being used and in that case it is better to let your DVD Player decode the signal(analog 5.1 out). all that matters is that the signal was decoded by a DD/DTS decoder somewhere in your system (DVD player or Receiver) and whichever piece of equipment has the better DAC's (Digital-to-analog convertors) is the one that should be used for decoding. Sorry its a little wordy but I hope it helps.

Ed Sullivan
Unregistered guest
dvda and sacd is decoded by a dvda sacd player and outputed via the 5.1 analog outputs it uses what is called "advanced resolution" or sumthing to that affect which is a lossless encoding/decoding codec and is at a sampling rate of 192khz for stero and 96khz for surrond at 24bit depth as for the prologic concern you are not gettin a TRUE 5.1 sound you are getting a 4.0 signal consisting of left right center and mono surrond which the reciever decodes because the entire 4 signals is matrixed into the 2 channels and then reproduces it in the old dolby surrond way my suggestion would be either to look at ebay or some more obsure electronics store to find a dolby digital/dts decoder as not many companys make thes and it would take the digital from your dvd and turn into a 5.1 analog signal you cold use for your reciever

balu
Unregistered guest
Iam having a home theater with 5.1 channel satellite speaker .I recently bought a DVD player with Coaxial out. But my home theater is not having an Coaxial Input, it is having an 6pin output (For front 2 speakers, Rear 2 speakers,1 surround speaker, 1 center speaker).Can any one suggest to connect 6pin outer to Coaxial Input.

xj
Unregistered guest
...Why doesn't surround sound work on all my satelite channels, especially my high definition channels. On my high definition channels I can't initiate super surround sound, a button on my remote. I get a message from my receiver saying it only works for 2 channel etc. The center speaker and the rear speakers have hardly any sound. The manual says that multi channel coding will not work with pro logic 2 or matrix. Why is this.

Bronze Member
Username: Usa2k4

Post Number: 75
@balu, to use the direct 5.1 connection, your system or receiver must have 5.1 inputs (six RCA jacks for 5.1 input) and your DVD player must have 5.1 output. You can't connect 5.1 output from the DVD player to the 5.1 output on the receiver nor can you connect the coaxial out from the player to the 5.1 in on the receiver. The digital coaxial jacks are for digital signals and the 5.1 jacks are for analog signals.

Username: Natish

India

Post Number: 6
When u r( to everyone) using onboard decoder of the dvd player take the 5.1 o/p of dvd player and connect the rca pins directly to the receiver muti-channel in's of receiver/amp.u still get the DD or Dts surround without the bass management.U can't get Dolby prologic music or dts neo:6 thro multi-channel in's.
U have 2 change the settin in the dvd player analog o/p from 2-ch to 5.1ch and delay time for the surrounds(if available).

So for playin DVD-A or SACD in surround,u don't get encoded signals(multi-ch) from optical or coaxial.For SACD,if ur players have i-Link(IEEE 1394) out u can connect to i-Link in's of AV receiver.They r avl only in high end Rec/Players.

Old Fashion
Unregistered guest
DECODING OF ABOVE

When you are (to everyone) using the onboard decoder of the dvd player, take the 5.1 output of the dvd player and connect the RCA pins directly to the receiver muti-channel input of receiver/amp. You still get the DD or Dts surround without the bass management. You can't get Dolby prologic music or dts neo:6 through multi-channel inputs.
You have to change the setting in the dvd player to analog output from 2-ch to 5.1ch and delay time for the surrounds(if available).

So for playing DVD-A or SACD in surround, you don't get encoded signals (multi-ch) from optical or coaxial. For SACD, if your players have i-Link(IEEE 1394) out you can connect to i-Link inputs of AV receiver. They are available only in high end Rec/Players.

Unregistered guest
I have a DVD player with digital output, adittional I have a 5.1 System with analog inputs only. What device do you recommend to convert the digital output to analog? in order to use my 5.1 system. Thanks!

kinglenario
Unregistered guest
nice...my question was about the bass management. i'm really glad it doesn't have the bass management in the dvd decoded signal on the analog outputs of the dvd play. that way i won't have to get a 5.1 speaker switch.

for everyone that is using the analog outputs for dvda or sacd, you should purchase a bass management crossover for proper playback. martinsound makes one. it basically crosses over everything below 80Hz 1/3 octave @ 10dB per octave for the main speakers and above 80Hz 1/3 octave @ 15 or 10dB per octave for the sub. more of a roll off for the sub so that it's non directional.

Unregistered guest
I have an Altec Lancing VS3151 which has 3 output pins(green, black,and orange male pins). My dvd has five pins(female) to connect to the stereo. how do i proceed? Which of the dvd slots should be used to connect the stereo? or should i use the two rca pins from the stereo? again the question is where to connect? how will i get the best 5.1? please suggest

PD
Unregistered guest
I'm using both a Digital Coax (from my HDTV Cable box) and optical from my vcr. I also hear about an other newer option. Which is the best and what are the advantages/limits.

i-link Idiot
Unregistered guest
Old Fashion (or others...) I have Yamaha RX-V2500 A/V receiver with optical inputs and Yamaha DVD-S2500 player with i.link (optical?) outputs. Am I going to have to connect 6 RCA cables to enjoy DVD-Audio and/or SACD, or will the optical connection provide the multi-channel sound? [Am I asking the question correctly?]

Unregistered guest
I am running my HTS through a dvd/vcr combo unit. Right now the dvd and vcr run through DVD analog. Would I get any better sound if I get a digital coaxial and optical adapters to hook up. Also, I can't run the sound of my tv through the HTS when I am taping something on my vcr. Does anyone know a way around this?

armchairmanoftheboard
Unregistered guest
I see some excellent questions and answers here. I am not sure what to beleive sometimes and I think the owners manual or electronics manufacturers website is the best place to look.
IE: I have read that no extra bass decoding or equalization is necessary with the DVD-A or SACD if all the speakers are FULL range. All the bass goes to all the speakers.
A DVD player with 5.1 analog output is decoded in the DVD player and then passed to the 5.1 analog input of the receiver. The sound is essentially the same as an optical or coax digital cable from the DVD to the receiver, but the decoding is done in the receiver instead of the DVD player.
XJ, maybe the Super Surround is only used on a 2 channel source to expand the soundfield and it is not utilized with a true digital signal that already has 5.1 capability. Keep in mind that a signal can have a signature of 5.1 but really be a stereo sigal from the TV telecast provider and that may need fine tuning like other settings
OK there's my 2 cents.
1 money saving note: A lot of people spend $100 on a DVD player and then $50 on a digital cable. Try the cables at Wall-Mart, $15 for a 6 foot optical (digital is on or off, it works or it doesn't and your receiver won't care if the 1 or the 0 is a highquality one or zero.) $18 for a 9 foot component video which is essntially just 3 rca phono plugs.

think
Unregistered guest
I Have a LG TV and am trying to play sound through my htz - 77dv 5.1 Pioneer surround sound system from tV channels. Is this possible?
Help Needed.
Thanks

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 4140

Doesn't sound like it.

Dragothalas
Unregistered guest
Novice user here. I was given a MTS 2006p, which has the following on the back of the power sub.
RCA (red and white) LINE IN
RCA (red and white) LINE OUT

Speaker wire terminals - 8 of them...of those...
4 labled HIGH LEVEL IN... of those...
2 are red and labled L and R
2 are blacka nd labled L and R

the 4 other SW terminals are the same except
they are labled HIGH LEVEL OUT

whiche leads me to this... I have 5 speakes, what the hell am I missing???

I have a DVD player with RCA out, which I get Sub with if I plug it into the LINE IN, but I have 5 speakers and only 2 pairs (L and R OUT) of out terminals...

Maybe this is simple to you guys, I hope so.

Thanks

Gold Member
Username: Paul_ohstbucks

Post Number: 1566
You're missing a receiver.....

Connect the speakers, DVD player, and sub into your receiver.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us