Subwoofer selection dilema

Anonymous
I am trying to decide which subwoofer to purchase, and have narrowed the choices to Velodyne HGS 18 series II, Revel 15B, and the new B&W 850. I am trying to match it with my B&W 803's. I am currently using the B&W ASW 3000, which has worked out nicely, but I am looking for more low end detail and punch. I am leaning towards the Velodyne based on what I have read. Anyone out there have any thoughts or ideas on which subwoofer you would recommend?

Tough call. Do you have the opportunity to listen to them side-by-side, or is that impossible?

Perhaps more than anything else, your room acoustics play a huge role here, too. So if it's conceivably possible, can you compare them in your own listening room?

My own bias: When in doubt, go with the Velodyne.

Anonymous
Billman,
It has been a tough call, and unfortunately I am not able to compare them side by side. I might be able to get the various shops ro allow me to demo them in my house to make the final decision. Hopefully they will all allow me to do that. If not, then I probably will go with the Velodyne.

Jeremy
Have you considered the Pardigm Reference Servo-15?

RAVE reviews from Sterophile and not a bad price ($1750 retail).

Al
Have you listened to the Super Cube 1? If not, I think that you will be surprised at how close it is to the HGS 18 at a much less cost.
In a recent magazine the SC1 was compared to the HGS18 and they found little difference.

jayel_dmz
Of the three subs under consideration, the Revel B15, without auditioning, would narrowly be the best choice. On specs alone, it plays louder and lower than both the Velodyne and B&W, and has the most comprehensive onboard equalization of the three. According to the reviews on Ecoustics, there is no room or system in which the B15 could not succesfully be incorporated into.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us