2.1 out of the needed 5.1

ac
I decided to purchase my HT system in parts, opting for higher cost items and a slow build over time rather than a HTIB system. Now I have 2.1 out of 5.1 sound with two front speakers and a sub. My old bookshelf system has a pair of speakers with some sort of proprietery wiring. Two different sets of what appears to be generic speaker wire runs out of the back of each speaker, i.e. each speaker has four wires. I assume that this is beacuse the receiver unit powered two different speakers housed in the same same speaker box. Perhaps a bass unit and a tweeter?? My question is this, can I splice in addtional speaker wire to the proprietry wiring and use them as temporary surrounds??

I would try to figure out EXACTLY what those wires are. First--if you can't open the speaker cabinets without too much trouble, then trash them. Even if you buy some old used stuff, it'll be a cheap upgrade and far less riskier than what you're dealing with now.

Do you have a feel for what quality level you're dealing with? Are these some older exotics that would definitely be worth the trouble? Or are they torn from a boombox or something like that? It still seems odd--even speakers designed for bi-amping would have some sort of connection terminals or binding posts, and bi-amping isn't required--just optional. Hmmm. Even if that IS the case, what would be "proprietary" about that? It's just wire.

You have to be 100% sure you're wiring everything in parallel. Mix serial and parallel, and you've got a short circuit--you could damage your receiver/amp.

ac
AB: I think you just wrote the magic words "damage my amp." On that alone, I'll try to figure a different solution. How will ProLogic II sound in 2.1?? My system is on order, and as I sit around and twiddle my thumbs I'm trying to decide on different sound combinations. The Denon reciever (1603) I purchased claims a virtural surround mode for 2 channel, but I'm skeptical. Also, should I run my sub in parallel with the front channels to ensure I get LFE, or use the separate sub out?? And thanks for the advice, greatly appreicated...

Derek
I've seen speakers like yours on shelf systems. There will be one set of wires for the tweaters and mids and another set for the "Super Woofers". Are these from a shelf system like and Aiwa, JVC or Panasonic?

You can get awound this by listening to each pair of wires, adding speaker clips to the back of the speakers (requiring opening) and adding an external cross-over. You better know what you are doing though, making sure you don't short something or drive the impedence so low as to damage your new amp. You are better off getting new speakers since the speakers are usually the weakest link in shelf systems.

Hope this helps.

ac
Derek-
You hit the nail on the head, it is a Panasonic bookshelf system. I strongly suspect that the top set of wire powers a tweeter/midrange. The lower set powers a "subwoofer." I cannot claim to be an expert, there doesn't seem to be an easy way to open the speaker boxes, and the whole system is worth less brand new then my amp. I figure I better skip it. But, how will Pro Logic II sound in two channel?? By the way thanks (as always) for the imput!!

Hawk
ac:

Get the center channel speaker first--it is more important than the surrounds, anyways.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us