Need some help

I am still using my old college bookshelf system for audio. About three weeks ago, I started pumping my TV audio through the system. Needless to say, it doesn't sound so hot. I'd like to improve my audio, particularly from my DVD/Digital Cable sources. I've researched endlessly at this point, but can't seem to get an answer to this basic question: is it possible to get acceptable 'near-surround sound' using just a few components?? I have a small living room; five speakers and running wires all over the place just doesn't appeal. I've heard of different companies that offer solutions to my dilemma. Bose makes a simplistic all in one system (321), but the reviews I have read have urged consumers to stay away. Harmon and Kardon makes a receiver (AV 125) with VMAX which supposedly gives a surround feel with just two speakers, but I can't find any opinions on that idea. Can any one offer some good advice???

Derek
Dolby Pro Logic has provisions for 2, 3 and 4 speakers as well as the normal 5 [main] speakers. That's 2 front only, 3 front only and left and right front and rear (called Phantom [center]). You will have to check any equipment you considering by going through its menus before you buy. Usually the menus items for speaker setup will say something like this

Rear surround = Large, Small or No ?
In your case that would be No.

This is not Dolby Digital. Though there is a Dolby digital 2.1, it's closer to Dolby Surround Pro-Logic with a seperate subwoofer channel.

There are also some proprietory decoding meathods like the Bose. Give them a listen. At the extreme I seem to remember Pioneer making a complete surround system that sat on the top of the television. It looked like a thin, wide center speaker, had a decoder and a remote. Klipsch, Cambridge Soundworks and Logitech make 2.1 systems that include the amp and decoder.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the info Derek. I am looking into a Cambridge system...
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us