Soundproofing/Insulation

Anonymous
I am, in no means, a millionaire. I own a townhouse and I am expecting little ones soon. However, I am planning on converting my basement level into my home theater area.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can soundproof the room reasonably? I have been looking into sound dampening insulation and sound baffles as well. As I understand it, baffles dont really block the sound so much as absorb it.

Any ideas?

Anonymous
I don't have the specifics yet on exactly HOW to accomplish this (still designing my own basement HT) but if you have the space available and can afford to build a "box inside a box" to isolate your HT area completely from the surrounding walls & ceiling, that would be optimum. With a little forethought/planning, you should be able to significantly reduce or possibly eliminate sound transfers from the studs/walls/ceilings, etc., in your HT to the rest of your home. You won't have that "tha-thump, tha-thump" througout the house from the bass sounds coupling with the rigid structures of your townhome. If you build a plywood platform (2"-4" high) for the floor (assuming concrete slab) and isolate that from the walls (acoustical foam normally does the trick), that also allows bass frequencies to be decoupled from the rest of the house and keeps them in the HT room. An added benefit of this is that you also will feel the bass more as the sound reacts with the plywood platform, giving you a definite vibration simulating large sub-woofers in movie theaters (I still think you'll need to have sub-woofers in your system though--this is only an added "good deal" if your room and budget can support it). Hope this helps.

Check out this site
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us