TV makes Speaker Humm or Buzz

Koosh
I have a stereo TV (JVC) with L/R RCA connections to my JVC receiver. When I sswitch the system to TV audio, I get a humming buzz on the speakers, making it difficult to watch TV with the stereo.

Also, most of my high range is gone, and I get mostly bassy tones, hard to hear dialogue sometimes. I have a digital reveiver with 2 L/R speakers and not Center channel and 2 rear speakers with no subwoofer. My rears don't seem to put a lot of sound out either.
My digital DVD and Sony Playstation 2 sound ok, just not the TV.

One last thing, should I get a good center channel, or can I use the L/R speakers for phantom center? Is a center that much better? What's a good center to get? What are good L/R speakers to get for TV/DVD as well as CD music and mp3 playback?

Basically, audio wise I'm a mess and I dunno what to do, who to talk to, where to look. Thanks in advance!

--Koosh

Derek
I will assume you have the receiver setup with no center channel in its menu because the DVD sounds OK - sometimes a system will sound muffled when the center channel is setup on the receiver but not connected. Yes, get a center. It will make a big difference in dialogue. The quiet rears is normal.

You may as well look at the same manufacturer of your other speakers. Is sounds like you may be replacing them all. Listen to Energy, Athena, Paragugm and Mission. You can get an entire high-end system including sub for under $1000. JBL and Radio Shack make smaller, cheaper systems but you have some speakers - you will get better sound by adding to what you already have.

1. Are you using the fixed or variable audio-outs of the JVC. You should be using the fixed ones. The hum will still be there but hopefully will be so low that you wont notice it.

2. You may have a ground problem. If you have cable, try disconnecting it. Does the hum disappear? If it does you need to buy or make an F-adapter with the outer shield broken at one end. Some high-end surge-suppressor have them also.

3. Check all of your power cords. If one is plugged in backwards, you system will hum. Make sure the large lug isn't shoved into a small hole. Drag you fingernail across a cord where both lugs are the same size. The one with the ridges is the large lug.

4. Most televisions produce a 60Hz hum and a 15KHz whistle. If you are already using high quality RCA cables your television may simply not produce a quality audio signal. Try listening to TV though your VCR instead.

Hope this helps.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us