Av receiver not working with regular TV

I just got a Denon receiver and hooked all my stuff up to it (tv,dvd,cable,tivo,vcr) but only the dvd is working with the surround sound everything else comes out the tv speaker. when on tivo or tv the receiver says it has it on dolby digital but nothing is coming out of the SS speaker.

Derek
See my two long posts in "Home > Discussions > BBS > Home Video > DVD Players > DVD to VCR to TV to Stereo hook up" for instructions.

Nothing should be coming out of your TV speakers.

Which Denon do you have? I have 2 and might be able to help you.

Mike P
I have a denon avr-3803 and even though I can get audio either out of the center speaker or the two fronts I cannot get 5.1 surround sound from anything on TV, only when I play a DVD. I watched a Showtime presentation earlier in the week that said it was presented in 5.1 but still could only get center channel. Is this a limitation of my cable(Comcast) provider? I have digital cable. Thanks.

I have the AVR1700. I hooked everything up this weekend per the manual and I can't get a picture on the TV or sound, nothing at all. This really sucks. Are there any AV techies in the west suburbs of Chicago that can help me, I will pay top dollar. Thanks

By the way I have Tivo, DVD, cable box, VCR. I did not hook up the cable box to the receiver, its crappy and old and don't need it, the VCR I put into VCR1 and the Tivo into VCR2. My DVD player is in the shop so didn't hook it up. I used the fixed output from the tv into the TV input on the receiver. No picture or sound through the receiver on the TV/Video1 or Video2. It sounds like it is trying to output to Video1.

Derek
Vince

See my two long posts in "Home > Discussions > BBS > Home Video > DVD Players > DVD to VCR to TV to Stereo hook up" for instructions.

Too bad I just left Chicago on vacation (I'm from Chi'town). My old house was in Oak Park and I have a brother in Aurora.

Anyway

The key to hooking all of this stuff up is to do things one at a time. If something doesn't work, don't move on and once something does work forget about it and move on - it will prevent you from being overwhelmed. There is a third long post in that forum that starts withe the simple stuff (Cable to VCR to TV) start there. Take your successes one at a time.

You also must tell the Denon how many and what size speakers you have AND engage Dolby Pro-Logic II to get 5.1 from all sources (like the TV).

Hope this helps and let me know how it turns out.

I live in Warrenvile, right next to Naperville, small world. I will take your advise and take it slow. I figured I could hook everything up and power up and walla! nothing is that easy. I will let you know how it all works out.

I did set up the speaker sizes but after that are some weird setups, steps like 8 through 12 I think and the up down does not change the option for those steps. I think those are the steps for letting the receiver know what I have hooked up to that coax. I will play with it more unless you can advise.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us