Digital audio output vs. optical cable output

My new DVD player w/ progressive scan has both and optical and digital coax output. My receiver has only the digital coax in for DVD's. Does the optical give better sound than the digital coax or vice versa? My receiver has an optical input which I use for CD's but when I tried to hook up the optical from the DVD, I didn't have any DVD choices DTS,etc. from the receiver. So that is not an option. It seems to me optical is the way to go but that's going to require getting a new receiver.

Derek
When correctly connected, Coax and Optical should be exactly the same. Bandwidth isn't and issue, error correction (when connected correctly) isn't and issue. Distance, say over 50 feet might lean toward optical but who does that? Optical cables can be miles long compared to copper's hundred of feet for the same amount of signal loss. Optical cable can be fragile and cannot be taken around corners too tightly or pinched. For all intents and purposes though, it doesn't make a difference which one you use.

Now, having said that, there are a couple of situation where one MIGHT be better than the other. They both fall under "defective equipment" though.

1. The CD data, though optical, is converted to a electrical signal. To create an optical signal, this electrical signal - essentially the coax signal, has to be convered to optical by a laser-diode. You could theorize that an optical signal could not be superior to a coax signal because it is derived from the coax signal. I would not worry about it though.

2. Optical connections do not carry grounds. In a pooly designed system an optical connection COULD produce less hum because there are fewer ground paths. The music to the decoder would not be any better but a crappy amp could add hum to an otherwise pristene music signal just before it got to the speakers. This hum would be faily obvious though.

I wouldn't worry about it. Use the coax.

I am thinking about buying a DVD/VCR Combo unit. Does anybody have any advice as to which unit would be good to get? Are these units just a scam?

I have a typical receiver (Yamaha RX-V995) with one set of analogue 5.1 channel inputs (RCA-type plugs to a center, sub, 2 front and 2 rear). Problem is I have two devices requiring this input: a Sony SACD player and a JVC DVD Audio player. Does anyone know of a switch box or 2-into-1 coupler that will allow me to plug two sets of analog inputs into the receiver?

Cam Johns
doesn't your JVC DVD player have an optical or coax output for the sound? if so, and assuming your amp has the correct input you don't need to use 5 separate cables to do this.In fact using a Coax or Optical cable provides the best quality of sound so you should do this anyway.

Anonymous
What type of cable do you use for digital audio output from the dvd player to your preamp?

I use the Samsung DVD player Model DVD-M108. May I know that any audio quality difference connect an optical cable to the AV receiver which has the optical jack ? At present my Stereo amplifier just spoilt. I need to purchase a new AV receiver. Most of the shops in my place advice me to buy the normal AV amplifier and use the standard RCA cable to interconnect to produce Dolby Prologic Effects. I need the DTS effects by watching DVDs. Is there any diffference of Dolby Pro Logic and DTS ?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us