All Dolby Digital, not enough DTS

Bronze Member
Username: 1lakerfan

Post Number: 68
Why is that almost all movies have Dolby Digital but there is not that many that have DTS? Is it a money issue, or what?

Bronze Member
Username: Usernamex

LondonEngland

Post Number: 71
One reason is probably space, By the time you add extras, previews and other commentaries, or different languages... A DTS soundtrack is a lot bigger than Dolby digital (you'll notice if you use DVD shrink), and since DD is the standard (de facto or otherwise) you can't drop DD in favour DTS, you'll need both to offer dts. Its a shame, I generally find the soundtracks that really grab me are DTS. I thought the war of the worlds DTS sound was very cool, I remember playing it back latter wondering why it was so flat, those large guns didn't sound right, all that breaking glass wasn't the same and it was the DD soundtrack.

I also wonder if the disks with DTS didn't put as much effort into the DD version and that's why they aren't as good?

Platinum Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 12832
Licensing and support.

Bronze Member
Username: Cugine

San Jose, CA USA

Post Number: 27
I'm with you guys. I love DTS! Watching Gladiator in DTS = absolutely amazing. I wish more movies came with it.

Gold Member
Username: Samijubal

Post Number: 3295
DTS uses a lot more disc space as already stated. It uses twice as much space as DD, and since all DTS discs also have DD, that's triple the space that DD alone uses.

Gold Member
Username: Arande2

400dB could probably d..., SouthWest Mi... Too Many DBs...

Post Number: 1113
Time for HD DVD or Blu-Ray then...

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12878
No it isn't...you are missing the point. This is not about blu-ray or hd-dvd.

Bronze Member
Username: 1lakerfan

Post Number: 73
So that does that mean the majority of the Blue ray movies should use DTS?

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12880
Not necessarily, when blu-ray and HD-DVD came out so did Dolby Digital Plus and DTS-HD.

And as I wrote before, licensing and support. Your preference is irrelevant.

Gold Member
Username: Arande2

400dB could probably d..., SouthWest Mi... Too Many DBs...

Post Number: 1123
Interesting...

Bronze Member
Username: Usernamex

LondonEngland

Post Number: 72
The first review of a Toshiba HD-DVD I read made an interesting point about DTS over Dolby Digital... The dvd player would transcode the newer generation Dolby sound formats (DD+, true-HD) into standard DTS (at max bitrate I think) to supports old receivers presumably at the highest possible quality.

• The PCM signal is converted to standard 5.1-channel DTS and fed to the player's digital outputs, where it may be accessed and decoded by any pre-pro or receiver with DTS capability.

"What was that, you ask? No, that's not a typo. Bizarro world comes to the audio side. The HD-A1 (and the HD-XA1 as well) provides a conventionally decodable 5.1-channel DTS signal at the player's digital outputs, derived from the HD DVD's original Dolby Digital+ tracks after conversion to PCM! "
http://www.ultimateavmag.com/hddiscplayers/506toshibahd/index1.html

Gold Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1358
­
"...provides a conventionally decodable 5.1-channel DTS signal at the player's digital outputs, derived from the HD DVD's original Dolby Digital+ tracks after conversion to PCM!"

It's only right since due to its higher bitrate, DTS sounds better. It's about time DTS is getting some payback after playing second fiddle to DD all these years. I have only seen one DVD without DD. That was the Eagles "Hell Freezes Over" DVD, with PCM and DTS only.
­
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us