Confuse with Audio Output

Username: Indigoaven

Post Number: 1
Hi just want to ask which Audio Output is the best to use and has a better quality?

Optical Cable
Coaxial Cable
5.1 Ch audio out (5 RCA)
HDMI

Thanks

Gold Member
Username: Arande2

400dB could probably d..., SouthWest Mi... Too Many DBs...

Post Number: 1029
My personal choice would be Coaxial Cable, Optical being second, because of the jitter properties. If I had even more of a choice I'd probably use FireWire Ilink but that's in higher end audio equipment as well as other connections.

Platinum Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 12636
Different schools of thought on that one Arth. It all boils down to personal preference. They are all equally capable of hi fidelity, how your ears perceive them is a different matter.

Username: Indigoaven

Post Number: 2
Hi Guys,

Thanks for the reply. THe reason why I asked this is because I just bought a DVD Player which has all these audio output and a Receiver which has all the inputs as well. "So, I am some kinda confuse which one is better" & I don't want to buy all these cables just to experiment.

I know that Sounds Engineers know more of these things and can tell which one is better. Anyway, if you know any link/s regarding this matter, please keep me posted.

THANKS A LOT!

Bronze Member
Username: Usernamex

LondonEngland

Post Number: 44
Hi,

The coaxial and optical carry the same signal, and mean the decoder in the amp is doing the donkey work. You can use the 5.1 rca outputs to use the decoder in your dvd instead. Generally you'd only need this if you are playing DVD-A audio disks or SACD's though. Both these standards won't output through the digial connections for copy protection reasons apparently.

Between coaxial and optical, a spare cable would decide for me: ) Anyway, I believe coaxial is better for very long runs. If you use the coaxial connection make sure the cable is coaxial, and not just a spare rca cable. Optical is obvious good as it doesn't have RFI problems, but you can have issues if you try bundle up excess length etc (so the cable runs in a tight figure of 8 etc).

Also, since HDMI carries video too it might work out easier for video switching through the amp?

Mike

Platinum Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 12654
Sound enginers may know more but they do not necessarily know which one is better. Just pick one and stick with it. Jitter properties do not apply to short optical runs. I doubt anyon can tell if their audio has the jitters.

Bronze Member
Username: Usernamex

LondonEngland

Post Number: 46
"I doubt anyon can tell if their audio has the jitters" - I agree!

I have had problems with my optical out by having the cable in a bundle (make that cheap & nasty optical cable tied in a bundle). The sound would keep dropping, found a tip suggesting to run excess in a large loop instead and that fixed it.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us