Differing HDMI Standards (With Fewer Spelling Errors)

Bronze Member
Username: Tunasalad

California US

Post Number: 54
First of all, let me apologize for the gross spelling error in the title of my last post, and yes it took me two days to see it.

Anyway, it was time to start a new thread, although I would appreciate a respones to my last post...

What is the difference between HDMI 1.1, 1.2, and the all new 1.3? If I was considering a device with 1.1, would there be any reason to not get it? If there is a difference, how much is it "worth" in dollars?

Thanks, Stefan

Platinum Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 12592
One of the reasons why I do not recommend receivers with HDMI features. No standardization. A lure for consumers.

Bronze Member

California US

Post Number: 55
Berny,

I am sorry to admit that HDMI has enticed me with all sorts of fancy gimmicks and features.

I would really appreciate it if someone knew the specifications of the different standards. Lastly, I was reading "The Perfect VIsion" and they said the the PS3 was a good buy. But that's not my question. My question is they also said that the PS3 supports HDMI 1.3, which is weird, because I heard from my local store that no current tv supports this standard and the dongle isn't even the same size. One of these two people has to be wrong, which one is it?

Thanks, Stefan

Gold Member
Username: Samijubal

Post Number: 3256
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDMI#HDMI_1.0

Gold Member
Username: Hawk

Highlands Ranch, CO USA

Post Number: 1104
Stefan:

My friend, you need to think about what you are saying before you say it. The Perfect Vision is exactly right that the PS3 supports HDMI 1.3. Why? Well, because Sony needed a new standard to accomodate everything they wanted to put into the PS3, and the older standard, HDMI 1.2A, did not accomodate their needs. One of those issues is video bandwidth--HDMI 1.3 supports 1440p, something no other product supports. So Sony took their revised spec to the HDMI coalition and after a few months of discussion, it was adopted as the new spec.

Now, you also report that there are no tvs that support HDMI 1.3. Well, that is equally true! Why do you think one person has to be wrong? The two statements are not mutually exclusive (the PS3, after all, is not a tv!). Sony prepared the 1.3 specification expressly for their PS3, but it was not formally adopted until August of last year. The tvs you see in the store today were designed well over a year ago and production began early last summer. It's called "lead time" and it is a significant part of any manufactured product. I have seen tvs and HT receivers currently in stores with HDMI ports that support 1.0, 1.1, 1.2, and 1.2A--but there are NO products, other than the PS3, that support 1.3, at least not yet. I expect Sony will have the jump on everyone else (since it is their spec), so you might just see Sony tvs with 1.3 support possibly around the late summertime, but it may be later. A few others may get some product out by the end of this year, but entire product lines will not get converted until next year. Even then, all they will tell you is that the product has HDMI support, not that it is 1.3 (too much info for a consumer in their minds). Needless to say, I am pretty skeptical of the electronics industry as think think the consumers are fools.

Finally, the plug for HDMI 1.3 is larger than all older specs because there are more leads within the cable itself, so no 1.3 cable will fit into an older socket. 1.0 through 1.2A are all the same size, but as I recall, 1.0 only supports 1080i, and 1.1 through 1.2A will support 1080p. As Berny said, there is no standardization--right now it is merely a marketing gimmick for the industry. If you are hooked, it is because the gimmick has worked. Here, have some more kool-aid . . .

Gold Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1335
­
Gentlemen, I hardly feel compelled to be the HDMI apologist around here, but there should be some clarification in the interest of fairness and accuracy.

1. As David's wiki-link states and HDMI's own site maintains, HDMI has always supported 1080p from the git-go, that is version 1.0 in 2002.

http://www.hdmi.org/about/faq.asp#q6_3

2. Besides the PS3, there is at least one other product available supporting HDMI 1.3. Toshiba, hardly a Sony co-conspirator, released their new HD-DVD player HD-XA2 (December '06 $999) which sports HDMI 1.3 support.

3. I find it difficult to believe that Sony was the sole author of the 1.3 specification. I will not try to argue against it, but some corroboration would be nice, not to mention very interesting.

4. The connector for HDMI remains the same for all versions, even for 1.3. There is more than enough reason for some confusion on this issue:

First, there are two different connectors for HDMI, which are called Type A and Type B. As wiki states:

The standard Type A HDMI connector has 19 pins, and a higher resolution version called Type B, has been defined, although it is not yet in use. Type B has 29 pins, allowing it to carry an expanded video channel for use with very high-resolution future displays. Type B is designed to support resolutions higher than WQSXGA (3200x2048).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDMI#General_notes

Second, there is a new mini-HDMI connector that will support 1.3. It has the same 19 pin configuration of its larger brother. It is simply a miniature version intended to be used with smaller devices, such as cameras.

Third, there will be a simple grading system regarding the guaranteed performance of each and every HDMI cable. The first, called "Category 1" will be capable of standard HDTV signal transmission, or in other words suitable for version 1.2 and below. It is certainly unclear as to whether all but the longest runs of Category 1 will have any problem whatsoever with 1.3 compatibility. The second, "Category 2" is supposed to be certified for the greater bandwidth demands of the new 1.3 specification. But apparently this "certification" is nothing but a joke. The bottom line is that the HDMI cable marketers can label their product any way they want. I can just see the management and staff of Best Buy salivating---"Yes sir! You must have this $200 certified Category 2 1080p HDMI 1.3 Monster cable! If it doesn't say 1080p 1.3 certified, it ain't gonna work!"
What's poor Joe 6-pack to do?

http://www.bluejeanscable.com/articles/certified-hdmi-cables.htm

Again, let me emphasize the fact that I refuse to be an HDMI shill. There's been more than enough screw-ups and confusion with this digital interconnection system, both with the HDMI organization and with the implementation of HDMI by the audio/video manufacturers. (For some juicy details on this subject, see "The Perfect Vision's" article "What's the deal with: HDMI-- Latest from the inside" January 2007 Issue 74.)
­

Bronze Member

California US

Post Number: 56
Hawk

"My friend", I would like to point out to you that this is forum was designed for the purpose of asking questions. If everyone was as smart as you, then I'm sure there would be no need for such a place. Let me just say that I in no way claim to be intimately familiar with many issues surrounding consumer electronics. That is why I asked the questions that I asked in this thread. In 20-20 hindsight, it would have been prudent of me to ask myself a few clarifying questions with regards to my real question, but, I did not. I would like to thank the people who have helped me, even when I did not ask the best questions. That was my impression of the way this forum was supposed to work. Anyway, thanks to Berny, David, John, and everyone who has been personable and accomodating.
That Kool-Aid comment was completely unneccesary.

Stefan
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us