How do I determine positive/negative?

Username: A_marley

Post Number: 1
My house is wired for 2 surround sound speakers, but the wires are not marked positive or negative. I hooked up my speakers, trying both wire combinations and they work both ways. I can't hear a difference in the sound either way. Will it hurt my reciever/Amp if I have them hooked positive to negative? Is there a way to determine which wire is positive and which is negative?
Any help is appreciated.

Platinum Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 12562
Check the wire closely and you may find a subtle difference on one wire. Some are marked with a line, different colored bare wire or imbedded with a different colored wire, some have writing on only one side. Check again.

Bronze Member
Username: Usernamex

LondonEngland

Post Number: 39
I'm sure berny is right, otherwise you'll have to try work out by the sound of your test tones whether your speakers are in phase or not.

There is a good setup test that includes testing phasing on the star wars and indiana jones dvds.

Mike

Gold Member
Username: Thx_3417

Bournemouth ...

Post Number: 2820
Berny

Is positively correct I do not detect any negativity in his truth.

Once you have determined which end is which get some masking tape or installation tape and apply it around one of each end of the cable to indicate this is the positive end.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us