New ht system

Username: Itsjon

Post Number: 1
I'm planning on setting up a ht system and would like some advice on brands of speakers and a reciever. Actually, as far as the receiver is concerned I'm pretty set on the Harman Kardon avr 635. I can get one for around $400. Is there any reason this is a bad deal or bad reciever? What brand of speakers should I get to go with it? I'm looking for a 5.1 system for now, maybe upgrade eventually. I have looked at the definitive, athena, and aperions, but only online. Haven't actually ever heard any of these. What speakers would sound best with the HK? I'm looking to spend $500 or so on the two main front speakers at first and then buy more later. Thank you for any advice in advance.

Username: Itsjon

Post Number: 2
Guess I left out some important info. My room is 15x20, I don't mind buying used speakers )infact the Harman Kardon reciever I was looking at is used), I do prefer floor standing speakers/bookshelf (not the small satellite type). My total budget is approx $1500. thanks

Gold Member
Username: Hawk

Highlands Ranch, CO USA

Post Number: 1088
jon:

Nice choice on the receiver--it will do fine. Now, I strongly recommend that you get your three front speakers at the same time. These speakers need to be "voice-matched"; that is, they need to be so closely matched that the three speakers will project a unified soundfield in the front that is seamless. So, if you were to stretch your budget just a bit your could match your H/K receiver with a pair of Athena Audition AS-F2.2s for $400:

http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=ATHASF2%2E2

along with an Athena Audition AS-C1.2 for $150:

http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=ATHASC1%2E2

you would have 85-90% of your HT system.

Now, if floorstanders are too big for your room, another good speaker setup for that receiver might be a nice pair of standmount speakers like the Monitor Audio B-1s or B-2s, along with the B-Centre. This can be had for $425-525 for the three speaker, depending upon which mains you choose.

Finally, another speaker that I think works really well with your receiver are Totem Acoustics. I really don't know which speaker to recommend since I don't know what your local dealer will likely charge for Totems (they can vary widely between dealers), but I have heard Totems driven by H/K receivers, at length and it is a wonderful combo.

I have not heard Aperions in awhile, but I think you can certainly try them and see if they work for you since they have a 30 day in home trial. My recollection is that they are pretty good speakers and a good match for the h/k receiver.

Now, the Harman/Kardons can be had on ebay, where H/K sells their refurbs under the name of harman kardon Direct. These have been fully repaired and come with a warranty. Refurbs have 1/20th the return rate of new products, so you are more likely to get a good unit, but protected if you do not. The MSRP for a 635 is $1299, but you should be able to get one for 50% off or more, so watch for them on ebay. Here is one auction I found as an example:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Harman-Kardon-AVR-635-7-1-Home-theater-receiver_W0QQitemZ150 083573907QQihZ005QQcategoryZ67799QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us