HD signal problems

Username: Hddog

Brooklyn, NY Usa

Post Number: 1

Video Processor Problem 963t
I am having a problem with video signals run through a Sherwood Newcastle 963t.
With the source video either DVD (progressive scan) or HD cable, when the scene is very bright and active, like an explosion in a sci-fi movie the the video signal scrambles and may even drop out completely if the scene continues. I do not believe the monitor is the problem (Zenith C34W37) as the problem does not exist when I bypass the 963t and go direct into the monitor. I have sent the 963t back to Sherwood and they say it checks out ok, but the problem persists. Any thoughts? }}

Platinum Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 11844
What cables are you using for video feed? Are you using component video cables meant for video signals or are you using regular RCA patch cables?

I have seen some video problems when regular RCA audio cables are being used for video feed.

Brooklyn, NY Usa

Post Number: 2
the cables are true component video. Since the problem does not persist when I go direct to the monitor I am inclined to believe the problem lies somewhere in the receiver.

Platinum Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 11845
I tend to surmise that as well.

Another thing that may mess things up would be the receiver's "video rec output". The circuitry may sometimes activate the material's macrovision anti-copying protection. Your best bet may be to connect directly to the monitor.

Gold Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1227
Any receiver in this price class should be able to pass any component video signal uncompromised, particularly when the mfr. claims wideband "HDTV-ready" component inputs and output. "Wideband" should be defined as 10Hz - 100MHz, and that should be the case here although I was unable to confirm that on this particular unit.

Are you sure that all the component cable sets are OK? Have you tried switching them with others?

It's hard to believe that a simple component passthrough could be flawed on this receiver, but this certainly is not impossible.

Brooklyn, NY Usa

Post Number: 3
I believe the cables are ok. The same distortion occures with an HD chanel (cable tv source)that I pass through the receiver. Do you have any idea what may be significant about the signal when the picture is very bright? Does bandwidth change as the character of the picture changes? This is the only condition I can isolate that seems to create the problem.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us