HDMI Video Isolation

Username: Anthonyvin

Post Number: 3
I have a Yamaha Receiver with 2 HDMI in's and 1 HDMI out's. Currently, my computer DVI out is connected to one of the HDMI in's (DVR/VCR2 source) and my DVD player is connected to the other. The HDMI out from the receiver is connected to our 40" LCD. Our cable box is connected to the receiver with a component video cable and a Dolby Digital Audio cable. The audio from the computer is connected to the receiver through the MD/Tape source. I am able to play music from the computer, CD player or tuner on the receiver and watch video from the cable box through the receiver to the LCD. When either the DVD player or Computer video is selected, though, only that corresponding audio can be heard. Is there a setting to isolate the audio or video going to the receiver through the HDMI inputs? Can I watch video from an HDMI input and listen to audio from a strictly audio source, simultaneously?

Bronze Member
Username: Tipstir

Post Number: 87
That depends on your Yamaha and if it has that type of feature?

Post Number: 4
What is "that type of feature?" The receiver we have is an RX-V2600. When I select either the DVD or DVR/VCR2 source (which are the HDMI inputs) and then select MD/Tape, Tuner, or CD source (which are strictly audio inputs) the video from the DVD or DVR/VCR2 goes away. When I select the cable box source (a component video and dolby digital input) and then select MD/Tape, Tuner, or CD source (which are strictly audio inputs) the video from the cable box remains. I've been told that it's because the HDMI carries both video and audio on the one cable?

Gold Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1206
I've been told that it's because the HDMI carries both video and audio on the one cable?

I think that's close to the right answer. Your receiver upconverts component video (and it is video only, no audio) to HDMI and sends that signal to the TV. At the same time the receiver passes through any other audio only input selected. However, when one of the HDMI inputs is selected the receiver is irrevocably programmed to decode only the digital bitstreams (audio and video) present only on that HDMI input and nothing else. I doubt if there's any way around your dilemma, particularly since you most likely have only one HDMI input on the TV.

Post Number: 6
I was afraid that was the case. :-(
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us