Newbie --> NEED HELP for 5.1 Surround Sound

Username: Iamerica

Post Number: 2
I'm looking to buy ceiling speakers and a subwoofer to have installed for my master bedroom, which is 15 x 20.

I'd like to spend $1,200-$1,400 by purchasing a set of ceiling speakers for a 5.1 Dolby system. I'm looking to spend $200 to buy a subwoofer for the bass of my system also.

1) Can anyone recommend which ceiling speakers to purchase?

2) Can I just buy 5 of the same speaker? Or do I need a specific "center channel" speaker? I'm totally confused about this.

3) Can anyone recommend a good subwoofer?

4) Can anyone recommend a good 5.1 head unit with HDMI output for my television?

Any help would be really, really, really appreciated as I'm trying to purchase this soon to surprise my wife for our anniversary.

Thanks!

Bronze Member
Username: Drgroovee

Portland, OR USA

Post Number: 16
Hi Ali,

I hope I'm not too late with this response!

There are a lot of well made, good sounding in-ceiling speakers available. I can't mention brands because I work for a speaker company and that sort of action is rather taboo, but I can say that you shouldn't have any problem finding a set of four in-ceiling speakers, sub and a center channel for well within your budget.

I did want to comment on a couple of your other questions, though:

A dedicated center channel is always strongly reccomended. I'd say roughly 80% or more of the information on a DVD disc is coded for the center channel. It handles all of the dialogue and a good amount of effects are anchored there as well. A dedicated center will offer particularly good vocal reproduction so that the dialogue is easy to understand- something that inwall and inceiling speakers aren't all that great for. Also, since the speaker is projecting this information into the room, you'll hear it much better.
Bear in mind that in-ceiling speakers project sound at the ground, not out into the room. The addition of aimable tweeters help some, but proper positioning of an in-ceiling system is key to getting the best results.
As for receivers, there are many that support HDMI now, even at the $250.00 level, believe it or not. I'd take a look at the Onkyo TXSR-604, 703 or 803 or the ever-popular Denon AVR-2807 or Pioneer Elite's line. Knowing exactly what you need the receiver to do for you would help with a more specific receiver reccomendation.

Caleb Denison
Aperion Audio
Home Theater Guru

Bronze Member
Username: Mvanmeter

KY USA

Post Number: 72
check www.partsexpress.com and www.mcmelectronics.com

both have a good selection of in-wall speakers and systems. check both for special sales and current circulars
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us