New Room Setup - Advice

Username: Eldorado

Post Number: 1
Hi all, I've recently purchased my first house and it is currently being built, only foundation has been laid so far.

I have picked the 2nd floor family room to be my home theatre room. It's in an L shape form, lets see if I can draw it out here and label basically where things will go and sizes:

Hmm... ok, won't work, cuts out all my spaces! Attatched a text file instead

Here's my equipment, only the TV will change in the foreseeable future:

Sony 36" Wega
Yamaha HTR-5660 Receiver
Pioneer DVD Player (older model)
Polk Audio RM6200 Satellite Speakers
Polk Audio PSW202 Subwoofer

Now just looking for help/advice on what I can do with this room. I'm not too happy with the wall size the TV is against, I'm looking into possibilities of making it wider by at least another foot, but this would cut into a bedroom that's on the other side of the wall, but I'm not too concerned about it. Also thinking on putting all my components into a wall unit that would also cut into the bedroom, like a mini closet. If anyone has alternative suggestions, I welcome all!

Here are my questions, although I still feel a bit confused about what I want to ask.

- Sound proofing between walls, definately an issue with a bedroom to the side. What would be the best way to deal with this? SP Insulation do a good job?

- Speaker wire. My in-wall cabinet idea for the components won't happen anytime soon. I'm mainly concerned about the back speakers. I'm confused on where on the back wall I should place the wall outlets for the surround speakers. Speakers I have now will be wall mounted, and probably any in the future will be as well. Should I figure out where exactly on the wall the speakers will be, and plan to put to outlets directly behind them? I would like to do this to eliminate seeing any wire at all, but not sure how to figure out spacing + height for the speakers
I also want to be open for upgrading to 6.1 sound (or 7.1) So a possible centre back outlet would probably need to be done

- Any recommended types of speaker wire + wall outlets to use?

- Is it a waste of time to put speaker wire behind the wall with outlets for the fronts + sub?

- Position of sub, any recommendations on where else to put it?

I have more questions on how to set this room up, but just can't put it all together and blurt it out.. and recommendations are much appreciated! I guess I just need to get a working plan in order, and figure out exactly what I need and where I need it.

thanks!
text/plain
familyroom.txt (1.2 k)

j. vigne
Unregistered guest
Have you consulted a shop to get help with this design? That would be best to avoid hassles in the future.
As far as the wall is concerned, have your builder do a double stud arrangement. Use 2X6 for your top and bottom plate and 2X4 for your studs. Alternate the studs so one is to the front of the plate the next is to the back and so forth across the wall. Any good builder should be able to figure this out. You will place the dry wall only on the studs that face the side of each room and therefore there is no physical connection to each side of the wall except the top and bottom plates. Put insulation (r19) in the wall space and you will have to spend way more money to get better isolation than that. Make certain all doors and windows seal tight. Put your front plates on if you are certain the system arrangement will never change. Pick a spot for your rear speakers if the same is true for this location. The exact location will vary depending on your seating position and whether you choose direct radiator speakers or dipole/bipole types. A good dealer can help here, too. Buy the cables and plates the dealer recommends. Avoid future problems. Read some of the other links in this site to get ideas for your remaining questions and a link to how to set up your subwoofer.

Anonymous

Those cons are in the Houston area. Crusing in a Naviator and using a magazine with photos of what they are selling. 2 guys 1 girl.

Bronze Member
Username: Feot

Texas USA

Post Number: 15
I live in the Houston area (not currently in a Navigator!) and sell, setup and install Home Theater/Home Automation Systems in the Houston and surrounding areas. If you'd like, we can make arrangements to look at the area and can give you my advise on ideas and contacts to speacialized sound proofing companies. I recently wired and setup an architect's home on the north side and his sound proofing was very well done.

Look forward to help,

Shelby

Unregistered guest
hey ive also gt setup problems ive got everything setup where they are supposed to be but how do i put the speaker wire "in" the wall so i cant c it?? thanx

J. Vigne
Unregistered guest
You cut a hole. Cut two if you want to "c" it again.

stink
Unregistered guest
Also you can use 2 sheets of sheetrock on each side of those walls for more sound proofing. Or if your using tounge and grove put 1 layer of sheetrock behind that.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us