Harman Kardon AVR 340

Username: Pynkfloyd

Post Number: 3
Hi

I'm just looking for some opinions on Harman Kardon receivers (specifically the AVR 340)

Username: Agentsmith

Post Number: 6
I'm wondering this too... The Pioneer 1016, Pioneer elite 80, Denon 1907 and AVR 340 (and 240) are all in a price range close to each other...

The only thing I'm curious about is how the quality control REALLY is. I've heard that HK's failure rate has run a bit high, but I don't know how true that actually is. To me, that is a big factor. I don't like being stuck with lemons.

I've heard a lot of people swear by HK's sound, but I know something like the panasonic 1016 has more features for the money.

I'm very interested in what the pro's and cons are for the lower end HK's...

Post Number: 7
I've done some research and from what I've seen.. specs wise the 435/445/635/645 offer a good sized jump up in sound quality + power. A 435 will probably cost you the same, and it will give you better audio than a Pioneer 1016 (at least according to most people's opinion)... The 435 lacks HDMI though, while the 340 and the Pioneer do not (I personally have no need for the receiver to do Video).

I'm not expert, but this is what my research has revealed. Of course, you should try listening to the unit yourself.

Bronze Member
Username: Tommyv

Rowlett, Texas

Post Number: 53
if you plan on using HDMI its a good idea to have a reciever with HDMI. HDMI has a higher bandwith than coax/optical and can support higher resolution sound tracks.

Username: Peeb

Oklahoma Usa

Post Number: 9
I would prefer the HK, but I need the HDMI, so I'm planning on getting the pioneer in the near future (see thread on 'obsolete-proof $400 receivers').

Post Number: 8
I wasn't aware that there was any need for higher bandwidth digital audio connections... Would you happen to have a link or some information on the benefits of using HDMI for audio?

Bronze Member
Username: Tommyv

Rowlett, Texas

Post Number: 55
well i was reading an article about the Toshiba HD DVD player and the author reffered to it
http://www.hometheatersound.com/equipment/toshiba_hda1.htm

also in www.hdmi.org in the faq they talk about HDMI having uncompressed digital audio and support DVD Audio(1.1) and SACD (1.2). i believe with optical and digital coax there is some compression of the digital audio involved

Post Number: 10
I've done some research and it appears you are right... Dolby TrueHD apparently only works with HDMI connectors at this point.

I'm actually a little suprised. I'm guessing pressure from the music industry might have something to do with the exclusive use of HDMI. The coax cables used with your normal cable tv can easily pull up to 40-50 Mbps, over 50-100 foot runs. The coax cables commonly used with digital audio transfers are not much different (actually a higher quality i believe). There is no reason why a coax connection couldn't pull 18 Mbit... It would probably require a revision of the coax connector standards, but that would be completely internal..

Since the industry has a vested interest in HDMI, I have a feeling they won't do that...

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
On closer inspection, I haven't found a receiver that actually does the new dolby formats... It will probably show up in the next generation of receivers, but I couldn't find anything that supports it yet. It looks like for now, everything is being downconverted to regular dolby digital...

Username: Prohomeautomation

Baton Rouge, LA US

Post Number: 1
I have put in gobs of the HK stuff and have not had one lemon. Always a pleased customer, and always sounds killer. I haven't seen a whole lot of need for the HDMI switching in my customers receivers because if they are bargain shopping for good deals, chances are they don't need the HDMI video switching. Why not plug the video straight into the TV and take out the middle man.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us