Cannot get surround sound to work

Anonymous
Hello,

I have a complete Sony surround sound system, which I do not have the owner's manual to. I cannot seem to get the surround sound to work properly. When switching surround sound modes on the receiver either the center channel will come on by itself in one mode, or in another mode the center channel will turn off and the 2 front speakers will just come on, etc. The back speakers are not coming on at all. I ran the sound test and all speakers seem to be working just fine.

I am not an expert but my guess is that I don't have the RCA jacks hooked up correctly. Right now I am running RCA's between the receiver and the digital cable box. Can someone give me basic hookup instructions or a diagram, etc.

Thanks in advance,
MM

Its a Sony STR-D665
5 speaker surround sound system. Please Help!!

Rob Xiaou
Unless you are using 6 RCA cables (one for each channel), you're not going to get surround sound from your cable box. To get surround sound, use digital coaxial audio cable, or optical audio cable. But make sure your cable box supports either one of the cables. Have you tried watching a DVD with surround sound audio tracks?

Derek
Actually "Surround" only requires 2 channels. Dolby Digital 5.1 requires six analogue or one digital connection.

For simplicity sake, stick with 2 channel analogue from your VCR, DVD, Tuner, TV and cable box and something should come out of all 6 speakers if you have the Sony set for Dolby Pro-Logic. Any of the other fake surround modes can have unpredictable results like the ones you are having. The back speakers do no always obviously come on. There typically has to be something encoded in the source audio for them to play.

Hope this helps.

Hi i've a Kenwood KRC 365 attached with a Sony 222 Amp and 1 Pioneer 12 inches woofer wth 2 kenwood speakers fixed in a box. but i'm not getting a surround effect. plz tell me wht else do i eed to attach wth it.

Anonymous
Hi I have a Sony Surround sound system but i have a problem wih my rear and center speakers. When I do a tone test only my two front speakers and my Subwolfer are reconised my the system and therefore make a noise. I also have 6 RCA cables and it's a Sony DHC-FL5D 6 speaker surround sound Hi-Fi system. Please Help!

Anonymous
Here is the manual http://www.iq.sony.com/srvs/sosdocs/default.asp
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us