Please help with my first HT

Bob Tinkers
Hello All!
I'd like some advice on a proposed HT setup.

-My budget is $1500
-I want only a 5.1 setup
-My room size is 13x26 w/ 9 foot ceilings and hardwood flooring
-I live in a small town so my options are quite limited. One stereo shop (Paradigm dealer) and a Circuit City.
-This will be used roughly 60% for music (2 channel) and 40% for movies
-Like everyone else, I'd like the best bang for my buck :)

Speakers Main: Paradigm Monitor 7s (or Monitor 5s)
Speakers Surround: Paradigm Atoms (or Micros)
Speakers Center: Paradigm CC-370 (or CC-270)
Speakers Sub: to be purchased at a later date if I go with the Monitor 7s, otherwise possibly a Paradigm or Velodyne (I
haven't given it much thought)

Receiver: Onkyo TX-SR600 or H/K AVR-225/325 or something similar

A few questions...

1. Will the above receivers effeciently drive the Monitor 7s without the use of an amp?
2. Can I run a 5.1 setup on a 7.1 receiver?
3. Will there be any problems using a CC-270 with Monitor 7s instead of the recommended CC-370?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Bob

Derek
Sounds like a VERY good system. You shouldn't have any problems.

If you are not afraid of mail order, do some research on HSU Research and SVS. I have heard the $500 HSU VTF-2 and it's a match for subs costing twice as much - even the Velodyne. I haven't heard the SVS but you may want to look into them.

1. Yes.
2. Yes.
3. No. Dialogue is the most important part of 5.1 but you are saving a little money and the system will be used mostly for music.

hello,
i'm also looking into setting up a home theater and wanted to know which receiver is better:
integra dtr 7.3 vs the yamaha rxv 3300- feature for feature, and how important is the upconversion, and the ethernet connection on the integra, vs the sound quality and benefits of yamaha's lsi floating chip and dsp tech?
also which do you think is the most future compatible- meaning which will last me for a long long time.

o h yeah, also how are the klipsch synergy speakers with these receivers?

thanks in advance

GET THE KENWOOD HB-505 AND USE THE $$$ YOU SAVE FOR A NICE VACATION.

Another EXCELLENT receiver to check out is the Marantz SR7200. Great reviews and amazing specs--110W across all channels, incredibly low distortion, and superb 192-bit D/A converters. Also does COMPONENT video switching. Gobs of inputs and easy interface. A friend got a remanned one at www.accessories4less.com for $499 and it's been fantastic. (I'm not pimping a dealer here, just wanted to let you know.)
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us