Help with Audio connections (Digital/ Analog)

Chris
I was looking at high-end DVD players and receivers today. What offers better sound quality from a DVD, 5.1 analog output(one for each channel) or the digital optical output?

Thanks
-Chris

Greg Lee
For the special case of playing 2 channel music through just two speakers, and assuming the DVD player has better DACs than the receiver, analog. For playing DVD-A or SACD, with few exceptions, you need to use 6 analog connections. Otherwise, digital (either optical or coaxial).

Greg is right. The key here is your receiver. It you paid more than, say, $700 for it, it probably has better DA converters than your DVD player. If you paid less than $400 for it, the DVD player probably has better converters.

The real truth of the matter is that all other things being equal, you'd have a tough time telling the difference.

Anonymous
Hi All
Can I conect digital and analog same time??

Greg Lee
Dear Anonymous, Yes.

Anonymous
I just bought a ddw840 home theater in a box. My question in the instruction booklet they show hooking up a dvd with analog and coaxial, a)what is the best hookup and b)can you hook up both type of wiring at the same time?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us