Newby Receiver Question

How do you connect a TV, DVD Player, CD Player and Surround Sound speakers to a receiver? It's something I've never done before and have always been slightly confused about.

Take a look at this Onkyo TX-SR600:
http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?s=0&g=10420&id=morephotos&pi=2&i=580TXSR600&display=XL

That's a large scale image of the back of the receiver.

Roughly, how would you go about hooking up the devices I just mentioned? I would guess like this:

- The TV goes into the Component Video 1
- The P.S. DVD Player goes into Component Video 2
- The CD Player goes into the Coaxial/Optical or White & Red connectors
- The speakers go into those octagon-shaped things

Is that all there is to it?

Thanks,
W

If you have a "HDTV ready tv" (ie. one that has component input) you want to use the component output from the reciever to the TV. If the tv is not HDTV, use the s-video monitor out.
Easy one.. the speakers do go into the octagon shaped thing. Onkyo is nice, they have color coded eveything.
P.S. DVD Player video goes into component input 1. Audio from the DVD, via a digital coax cable or optical toslink, goes into digital coax in or optical input 1, respectively. If your DVD has both outputs, choose the one with the cable that costs less.
Why have a seperate CD player, your DVD should be able to play CDs adequately?
Thats how I have mine set up.
Scott

So once you use Component Output from the Receiver to the Television, and in this case it is HDTV-Ready, every other device goes through the Receiver?

My TV has some pretty good inputs, but it looks like everything I have will be able to go through the Receiver ... which is great. That way I can still use the TV's outputs if I run out of room on the receiver, right?

Yes, run everything through the reciever. That way when you switch sources, say from DVD to vcr, both the audio and the video switch at the same time. If you manage to exhaust all the inputs on that reciever, my hats off to you, you can still put them into the back of the tv.

William
Cooooool!! I feel like a kid again!!

"Oh look at me! I'm making people happy! I'm the magical man from Happyland, in a gumdrop house on Lollipop Lane!" - Homer Simpson :D

Ain't technology great??
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us