I returned my HT-S650 for a Yamaha and paid the $100.00 difference because of

Anonymous
horror stories from the purchasers of the Onkyo HT-S650 last year.

Once it is used extensively and runs out of warranty you are on your own for repairs.

OnkyoOwner
Can you please be more specific as to the HORROR stories you are referring to?
There is no history of these receivers breaking or being in the shop for repairs. I've had the Onkyo HT-S650 since mid-September & other than the minor LFE problem it's a fantastic
system. Clear crisp sound from the speakers.
There is nothing better for the price. Plus Onkyo is working to resolve the LFE channel problem.

Anonymous
Yep, same experience as Onkyo Owner here. For 500 it is a fantastic system, lfe issue or not. And Onkyo is working to fix the lfe issue - which is apparently on one production run. Not all have the problem. If you have a problem with Onkyo, please describe it in detail. Otherwise you seem like a troll just trying to get attention because school let out early. :)

Grimace
What the hell are you guys, on Onkyo's payroll or something? I have the HTS650 and it has the LFE defect. You wouldn't be so quick to recommend the HTS650 if you had the problem. Tell me, how many units are produced in one production run. Is that insignificant?

If you read back on other message strings, there are heat problems associated with the HTS650. I personally have not experienced that problem, but other people have posted stories about bringing in their units for repair and not getting them back for months.

Why don't you guys stop being Onkyo cocksuckerrs. I would be pissed if someone recommended a product to me and after buying it, it was defective. No, not all of them are defective, but who would want to take a chance and deal with the hassle? I wouldn't and neither would you.

Anonymous
Grimace, I think these people are in denial.

OnkyoOwner
Grimace-
If you have read all the posts related to the "heat problem" on the Onkyo--it can be fixed easily & cheaply by upgrading to better speaker wire - (cost me $19 to do this)
Besides, I DO have the LFE glitch & I will wait until Onkyo resolves the problem. Their reputation & integrity in the home theater field is dependent upon their resolving this to their customers' satisfaction and I am sure they will.
I would strongly advise anyone who is considering this Onkyo system to run the THX optimizer test to make sure any unit they buy does not have the LFE bug & buy from a local dealer where they could return the unit if it has the bug.

Anonymous
Sorry Grimace, I'm the guy with the same experience as Onkyo Owner. I DO have the lfe glitch. Even with that glitch it is heads and shoulders above kenwood when used in mode 1. I do NOT have a heating problem, maybe because I used 16 ga. cables from the get go. Am I recommending it now? Well, if you can exchange the receiver in the event of the lfe glitch to get a "good" one, definitely. I would NOT recommend anyone get this online. Am I happy? Not about the lfe, but without this system I was willing to do without any since the other systems I listened to at this price range sounded awful. Onkyo made a mistake. I will not prejudge until I hear whether they will make good on it. If you think other systems sounded better, good for you. Get one and enjoy! I'll stick with my 650 until Onkyo figures out what to do.

Anonymous
Why spend your hard earned money on a product
(HT-S650) that the maufacturer knew was defective
and pushed onto the store shelves anyway hoping that people were dumb enough not to notice. Reminds me of Firestone and Ford.

Anonymous
Let's see Onkyo talk their way out of this one.
First they try to tell you 22 gauge wires are 16 gauge, now this.

Anonymous
HT-S650 heavy use owners are going to find out about a year after their warranty expires just what a dud this system is. Expect to spend between $300.00 to $400.00 at that point.

Anonymous
Why spend your hard earned money on a product
(HT-S650) that the maufacturer knew was defective
and pushed onto the store shelves anyway hoping that people were dumb enough not to notice. Reminds me of Firestone and Ford.

the infected one
replies to above 3 posts:

First of all .. I doubt that Onkyo knew about the defect and pushed the product out on the shelves regardless.

When did Onkyo try to tell us that 22 gauge wires are 16 gauge wires?

I guess whoever posted this owned a HTS-650 three years ago (before they were even in existence) and is now spending $300-400 in repairs. So we should all expect after the 2 year Onkyo warranty and a year after that we'll be having problems?

Trolls please report to your mommys and take a nap.

Anonymous
I do believe this entire thread is in denial.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us