Sony KDF-E50A10 analog issue

Username: Sonywill

Post Number: 1
Hey, all. This past weekend, my wife and I picked up our brand new Sony KDF-E50A10 50-inch Sony rear-projection HDTV. We set everything up with our RCN (cable company) DVR box, and while the high-def channels come in beautiful, the analog stations are showing one of the worst pictures I've ever seen on a TV.

Is there a workaround for this so that we can experience our analog channels better? I mean, I'm not asking for them to be in high-def, but a little bit closer to what they looked like on our old 27-inch JVC tube TV would be nice.

Any and all advice would be appreciated.

Will

Jay L
Unregistered guest
William,

Welcome to the unperfect world of HD. Whats happening has a long explanation, but I'll shorten it for you. You are being sent two signals from your cable company, Hd and Analog, the cable box you have takes the analog signel and converts it to a digital signal and then to the tv.

The problem with analog is that it picks up interference (noise) along the way. The box sees this noise as a part of the actual image. It then has to put this somewhere so it converts the noise into the image leading to the worst picture ever.

There are a few things you can try to help with this. One check all your cable connections from outside the house to the inside. If you can, bypass splitters and do a straight conection to the box. Check the cable ends make sure they are secure and of good quality. Doing this will help prevent noise from entering the cable.

I also assume you are using a componet or dvi/hdmi connection from the box to the tv. You might try adding on a composite cable (Yellow,red,white) and watch your analog stations with this connection and your digital/hd with the other connection.

The last resort is to split the signal before the box. Send one to cable to the box and the other to the tv cable input. You can still use the box and see analog and hd, but then you can tune your tv over to the cable input and watch analog there. This will improve the picture, but you will lose your guide, menu and ondemand.

The Sony does have a guide in it that will pick up show info and titles.

Good luck!

Jay
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us