HDMI from Direct TV Rec to TV, but can I use Digital audio to receiver?

Username: Donbet69

Post Number: 1
If anyone can help I would be deeply grateful....

I want to connect my HDTV receiver (Direct TV)with HDMI directly to my LCD TV (LG). This connection would be used for everyday television watching. However I would also like to be able to watch select PPV movies and such through my surround system.

Can I just use a digital coax cable out from my HDTV rec to my A/V rec in order to "listen" in Surround? Or do I need to hook up video component cables along with the audio?

As for my DVD player, it has component connections with digital and optical audio outputs. When my son (5 years old) wants to watch spongebob does he have to go through surround mode?

It looks like I will be buying a bunch of freaking cables very soon. I just want to know what is my simplest way to do this.

Silver Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 618
Can I just use a digital coax cable out from my HDTV rec to my A/V rec in order to "listen" in Surround?"

Yes

"Or do I need to hook up video component cables along with the audio?"

No

"As for my DVD player, it has component connections with digital and optical audio outputs. When my son (5 years old) wants to watch spongebob does he have to go through surround mode?"

Hook up the analog R/L audio line outputs directly into the same TV input the component is going into. Your son will hear sound from the TV's internal speakers....but would have to switch to the TV's DVD input before playing spongebob.

Best quality/price on cables, go to http://www.monoprice.com/products/department.asp?c_id=102&CartID=&style=

5 to 7 business days for delivery, depending on where you live

Username: Donbet69

Post Number: 2
Thanks John,

I had a long drawn out discussion with somebody at Circut City and found out the best way to set my system up is just as you described.

I guess I was overcomplicating things but I am glad I did not need too many extra cables. Bad enough my wiring cost as much as my surround system.

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 4846
How in the world did your wiring cost as much as your system? I hope you did not get caught up in spending too much money for your cables.

Username: Jayro

Post Number: 1
Need assistance......as I am totally frustrated! I have a Bell 9200 (Dish 942)PVR connected to Hitachi 42HDT52 plasma. I only had the HDMI connected for a month and then 3 weeks ago the HDMI failed. I have a Samsung upconverting DVD with HDMI connected to the TV also and it is working fine on either of the 2 HDMI ports on the TV. I have tried every combination with the HDMI cables from the 9200 (the original unit and a replacement they sent me) but no success to get the TV to show a picture (it only works previously and now with the Component cables) I have spent 5 hours on the telephone with Bell and Hitachi (implementing all the combinations they have suggested) but they are not able to help. The TV came on only in one instance when I changed the resolution (via the 9200) to 720P and then to 1080i but had no sound and then would not return when the TV was shut off. During this trying of all combinations the sound came on once, but no picture. I have also tried the other resolutions and aspect ratios with no success.
Thank You for any assistance
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us