Home Theater Planning

Hi guys,
I'm new to the site. I started surfing for info since I'm building a new house with a 18' x 22' home theater in the basement. My requirements are a 12 foot screen, projector (1500 lumens). I want suggestions for7.1 surround sound reciever with enough S video and component video inputs and outputs for DVD/CD player, SACD player, HiFi 6head VCR with progressive scan, front mounted inputs for sony PS2 and digital camera. The reciever should have THX EX capability with on screen display and a learning multibrand remote control. The DVD player should be progressive scan and capable of playing all types including SACD and burnt CD's and MP3. I dont care if it cant play laser discs. If it can play DVD RW also it will be a bonus. Also advise me about the prewiring (required guage etc). I hope some audio/videophile will help a total novice like me set up a dream home theater in my dream home. I have been to a showroom but the choice is limited and the counsellor is trying to sell me the products he carries. His prices are on an average $100 more per item. Also need advise on speakers. I'm assuming that a THX ready reciever will also have DLP II, DTSand DTS ES. Wattage on the speakers should be arround 100. My budget is not unlimited but will spend extra if I'm convinced that it will make a difference.
Thanks in ADVANCE
Dilip
PS I found reviews on ecoustics only upto year 2001. Most of the latest models are not featured. Any advise for alternative sites for review???
PS

How much are you wanting to spend?What you are describing is a 20k system,easy.Depending on your furniture setup,your screen may be too big for the room.Yes too big.I have seen some screens that just are uncomfortable to view because of the viewing angle.Its like sitting in the front row at the movie theatre.Its impressive at first,then it hurts your neck then your eyes.Rule of thumb that helps,decide where you want to sit in the room.Then how far the tv will sit from you.Then divide that distance by three.(in inches).That will be about the size of screen that is comfortable viewing.(screen measured diagonally)
Example:You are sitting 9 feet from your tv.Divide 9/3 =3ft or 36".So around 36"to 40"is about the right size.
Another thought:7.1 is a brand new format,it may take awhile to catch on.Most of the movies are 5.1Why buy something you may never use?
I ran 12 gauge wire all around,with extra wire for 6.1and 7.1 if ever I want to upgrade.
hope that helps.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us