HDMI questions

Username: Flyinelvis

Manchester, Ma Use

Post Number: 1
Howdy...I have a Bose Lifestyle 28 system connected to an LG RU42PZ61 HDTV through a Scientific Atlanta 8300HD DVR. I've had the LG with digital cable service for a few months and while sometimes I'm happy with the picture, sometimes I'm not. I recently read that if I'm not using digital cables I'm not getting true HD. The TV and the box have HDMI connectors but I'm currently hooked up using grey male-end connector cables, three to the TV and two to the Bose system. I have no problem paying for digital cables if I will get a better picture. I have the set wall mounted and while taking it down and restringing is a pain I'll do it on a heartbeat for the improvement. Can anyone give this rookie tips on optimizing my system? I'm also wondering if I'm getting true surround if I'm not using digital cables to the Bose system. Thanks in advance for any help!

Bronze Member
Username: Praetorian

Post Number: 35
If your using the component video inputs, your getting HD, your not getting the digital audio, though, through analog l/r inputs, just stereo.

You will not get true surround from your very expensive HT system from your cable box anyway, becasue it only has analog-in's, but (obviously) as it is an all-in-one player/reveiver, you are getting 5.1 for your movies.

Username: Flyinelvis

Manchester, Ma Use

Post Number: 2
Thanks for the info. I'm quite satisfied as you say with movies, HBO, and music DVD's. So if switching to HDMI won't improve the picture quality, why purpose do the ports serve?

Bronze Member
Username: Praetorian

Post Number: 38
Well, you WILL get digital sound from your cable box HDMI out to your dvd player/receiver if IT has an HDMI-in, I don't think yours does, but a lot of receivers "nowadays" do.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us