New system questions: Marantz receiver w/Def Tech speakers

Bronze Member
Username: Kozakid

USA

Post Number: 14
Today I purchased a Marantz SR5500 A/V receiver ($550) and a Definitive Technology ProCinema 60 speaker system ($650). That's what was recommended by the salesperson. I also bought six Ethereal cables ($289), and a pair of speaker stands ($100) which I may or may not use. Perhaps it would be better to mount the two surround speakers. Anyhow, I'm wondering if I got an okay deal. (I'm sticking with my year-old Samsung DVD player which has a DVI jack. I was told I could buy an HDMI converter for it.) The installers should be here in a day or two, so that will be an extra expense ($75 per hour, per installer).

I'm also concerned about the size of my room. I have a 14' x 23' living room with one side open to the kitchen/dining area. Will the speaker system be adequate, both for the receiver and for the size of the room? I read a Def Tech 60 review which stated that it was a good system for an apartment or for a small room.

I would greatly appreciate hearing from anyone with helpful comments or suggesions. Thank you.

Silver Member
Username: Chitown

Post Number: 636
Well you certainly overpaid for cables. You don't need $289 worth of cable unless somehow you are wiring the whole house. Did the salesman tell you that unless you got these cables you wouldn't be able to get the best sound?

Bronze Member
Username: Kozakid

USA

Post Number: 18
I told the salesman I did not want the same expensive Monster Cables which I had bought and later returned to Best Buy. So he sold me the Ethereal cables instead, with no mention about sound quality. At that point I simply trusted his judgment.

When the installer came he told me I needed only five cables, so he deducted $75 for the one he took back.

Here's the price breakdown:

(2) Digital Cable, 2m $22 ea.
(2) Comp Vid Cable, 2m $75 ea.
(1) Subwoofer Cable, 3m $20 ea.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us