BOSE Acoustimass 10 III / KEF KHT2005.2 / CELESTION AVP305

Username: Gandrian

AthensGR

Post Number: 1
Hello !
Which of the above speaker packs do you recommend me to buy ? Does anyone obtain one of these speakers ?
I'm waiting for your comments.
Best regards !!!
----------------------
gandrian@panafonet.gr
----------------------

Bronze Member
Username: Two_cents

Post Number: 54
George,

Go with the Bose speakers if you enjoy overpaying for mediocre products. They sound muffled and constricted compared to the KEF speakers.

Get the KEF speakers if you enjoy getting a high quality product at a bargain. These speakers create a very convincing sound for movies, and to a slightly lesser degree, music. I have not heard any speakers these size that sound better. Don't let the size fool you. They can play surprisingly loud without distortion (unless they're playing in a very large room). If you get the KEFs, they have a long break-in period. So don't be alarmed if they don't sound good right out of the box. The longer you listen to them, the sweeter they'll sound.

I have not heard the Celestions so cannot comment on them.

Good luck with you speaker choice.

Silver Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 411
I have to agree with Two Cents, the KEFs sound amazing, better than Celestion. Can't even compare to Bose
cheers

Bronze Member
Username: Monolgoue

Post Number: 21
Skip the Bose

Username: Jaggu

Post Number: 16
Everbody knows that the new Maybach from Mercedes-Benz is the best new luxury car around. It is fitted with the finest materials on this planet. For their audio requirements they choose to fit Maybach with Bose equipment. If Bose sucks so much, then why did Mercedes use Bose in their most expensive car.

Silver Member

Post Number: 420
marketing and brand name perception. You already believe the Maybach is "the best new luxury car around". Chevrolet also uses Bose, and Dodge and Toyota...almost all luxury cars has that selling point, does that mean it is the best???
BMW uses Blaupunkt, Lamborghini uses Alpine so what. You are using faulty analogy. Automakers don't spend a lot of time on audio, they go out and see what will sell.

Anonymous

Berny: The Post by Jaggu looked to be a simple question to me of why Mercedes would install a Bose application on "they're" most expensive car if it was inferior audio ?
No where did that post imply that Bose was the best, nor did he refer to any luxury car being the "best" but only one car of one manufacturer being "it's" most expensive.
From his simple question you in return put a personal spin on his intentions and challenge his question as "faulty analogy" and imply his belief is the Mercedes Maybach as being the best luxury car on earth ?
Your posts with Bose references seem to be guided by negative agenda more then personal experience. Are so many of the vast majority who are happy with Bose suppose to be wrong just to support your opinions about Bose ?

Silver Member

Post Number: 609
Anonymous,
There was no question in Jaggu's, or is it your post? Read it again. It started with a statement as if it is a fact "Everyone knows..."! Who is this "everyone"?? There's faulty logic in the very beginning of that sentence.
I have never said that Bose "sucks so much", I have had the Bose experience, and I have heard better for a better price. I still have Bose equipment, in my children's game room I am using the Accoustimass and I still use Bose 802 S3 for karaoke. The 901s and 401s I had to really sell and give away, they just lack the dynamics and clarity of the Axioms, the Athenas and Definitive Technologies that I currently play with.
I am glad that you are happy with your Bose, more power to you and if it makes you feel better...You are not wrong and I don't need your support on my findings and experience about Bose. They are not opinions, if that is not clear enough, they are my experiences.

Silver Member

Post Number: 610
"If Bose sucks so much, then why did Mercedes use Bose in their most expensive car. "--Jaggu

Sounds more like a rhetoric, but I answered it anyway:-)

Username: Skober

Faribault, Mn Usa

Post Number: 4
When I look at some of these forums I'm really amazed at how personal individuals can get with their beliefs and opinions.
From a audio perspective there is such a "varied" degree of what one finds good listening within themselves. Our ears sell the deal and brand, name, specs and all that means nothing when it comes down to it. We all want to make the better choices according our personal preference thus why we ask for input and info.
SOUND is as subjective as can be from one set of ears to another, and what I might find pleasing and affordable in the thousands of choices might be the minority or majority.
The battle lines formed from opinion towards a product or manufacturer seems wasted energy in my mind.
The best way to help a fellow audiophile is to recommend and remain silent to mfg/product negativity, after all if you don't support it's not a recommendation than is it !!
Personal facts, findings, what ever are all opinions and are all subjective forms of information for the rest of us to process before our ears ultimately make our own personal choice.

Getting personal over "audio" guidance or for any other forum gets old to see all the time. :-)

Silver Member

Post Number: 612
Sure it gets old, but how can you provide "audio guidance" without personal experience in the field?

Anonymous

I share the same sentiments as Stu I guess. You ask for some direction or resolve to your decision making and some take it as if its a life or death thing to prove one over another.
There are very few experienced/educated people that will just give you their top two or three choices within your criteria and just tell you to listen to them and decide for yourself.
Those few are very refreshing when you do come across them. Your not getting some personal position or agenda shoved down your throat because some guy self proclaims himself an expert in the field baffling you with BS that means nothing to the average individual listener.
I think thats where we lose it cause the average guy wants help with his decisions without the rocket science approach and personal digs at others opinions offered up, or at the person themselves.
Good sound gets misrepresented by best sound to often. Best sound is personal preference no matter what you use as facts or how experienced you are as Berny says he is. The buyer always decides with his or her own ears and really does not want a techno education. They want simple hassle free choices to guide them. Thats where your expertise or experience is welcomed. With your knowledge give me your two or three preferences and leave it at that.

Silver Member
Username: Two_cents

Post Number: 215
I don't know what the fuss is about. A guy asked opinions about three speaker systems. Berny and I gave our opinions.

Too often people who buy a Bose acoustimass system buy it without listening to other systems because of the brand name ("Hey if Bose is used in the Maybach it has to be good.")

I think there are other speaker systems out there, including the KEFs, that are better than the Bose and often less expensive. That's my personal opinion for someone who cares to ask. At least, that might encourage a prospective Bose buyer to look at other options. If he does and decides Bose is the best speaker system, more power to him. What do I care? We're only here to help people make a more informed decision.

Anonymous

Two Cents I think you just proved the above point. Recommendation is what the poster asked not opinion. They are two very different responses as you stated your opinion towards the product you were not intending to recommend which I believe was the issue here. Bose NOT being the recommendation would automatically "deter" the buyer away as you stated desire to do. Supported recommendations are much more welcome than trying to educate or quote "inform" others to better decisions as oppossed to addressing those you dont recommend. Maybe I'm missing something here but I see nothing about KEF or even Celetion, but a whole lot of attention to Bose and the prospective buyer ? Just my Two Cents "Group Hug"

Voice Of Reason
Unregistered guest
Wow. What a bunch of nerdy technophiles. None of you seem to be able to spell or use proper grammar. It really doesn't make for a very influential recommendation. For the record, Anonymous: Why would someone have a higher opinion of a product and then recommend another?

Voice Of Reason
Unregistered guest
Wow. What a bunch of nerdy technophiles. None of you seem to be able to spell or use proper grammar. It really doesn't make for a very influential recommendation. For the record, Anonymous: Why would someone have a higher opinion of a product and then recommend another?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1058
Voice of Reason, next time, try to offer something constructive, not insults and name calling. It is more productive!

Unregistered guest
Ok bose really is junk. It is very commong knowledge on ANY audio forum. They have plenty of marketing tricks they use to make wanna be audiophiles think there the best. Just go to a search engine like www.google.com and type in bose and see what comes up. Go down the list and dont click a site that sells or promotes bose. Find a forum. I GAURANTEE you everyone agrees that there garbage. A marketing gimmick. Put a high price on things and people automatically think there atleast somewhat good. Then seperate your speakers in the stores from the other speakers and set the bose up better than the others and ride on a brand name. There are many FACTUAL pages out there with real measurements. Yes sound quality is kind of subjective to your own oppinion but anyone into sound quality agrees the most important thing is to stay true to the music and what the artist wanted there music to sound like. Speakers only job is to reproduce sound. They should not change the sound. I will leave you with one more fact. Bose spends more on marketing than ALL OF the other high end brands COMBINED! Search google and dont read biased pages that sells bose. And dont read pages that have reviews by anyone. Find a page where it is audiophiles talking about them.

In the audiophile world we call bose "blows" and bose stands for "buy other audio equipment".

You were marketed. Face it.

TJ Guy
Unregistered guest
Johnybass you have good points there. As subjective as sound is, the reality is that there are rules/physics that govern design. Bose is known to have broken so many "Good Audio" rules in persuite of their ideal that it's laughable.

Bose is is famous for the old "hey lets produce speakers that have no mid/low and low frequency response and then make a module that makes all of those mid and low frequencies so non directional you can't tell which speakers they come from"....it fills in all the low end detail and in the process destroys things called "image" and "sound staging". They are smashing little things...and I think we all want to think they will sound good but they don't. Now I hear you...you might have heard them and thought they where great. But once you compare them to almost anything else the defficiencies become apparent.

While subjectively you might like the sound....to beleive they sound really good in light of the entire industry would be like me showing you a Chevette and telling you it's the best car ever. You might believe it if you have never seen a car before.

Anyhow this is not meant to insult anyone, but just stating well known facts. If you decide to keep thinking bose is a good option then buy all means buy them, you will likely enjoy them....just never make the mistake of walking into a high end audio shop and listening to anything else.....granted that could be said about any speaker purchase under $10,000 :-)

***Why would someone have a higher opinion of a product and then recommend another?***

While not the best start to a post, I give him points on this statement. Opinions are as opinions does....if all you have ever heard is Bose and you love your bose you would be an idiot for not telling your friends about your bose and how great they are.....no matter the brand. However any purchase is tempered by research and dilligence. We are trying to help people out here and our opinions are part and parcel to this end.

I would rather accept the "opinion" of someone who has heard most every type of speaker. as divergent as sound tasted are at the low end, you will find that at the high end peoples opinions of good sound get closer together not farther apart. You would be hard pressed to listen to a $175,000 dollar speaker system and say it sounded good, only to find someone else say it didn't. It's like a pyramid, the the more expensive (closer to the hig end) the closer peoples subjective listening patterns mesh.

PS yeah yeah yeah...sorry for the spelling ;)
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us