Rear Speaker Stand Considerations (onkyo 650)

Anonymous
So the basic gist is that rear speakers are to be placed slightly above ear level, both speakers pointing towards each other, yes? That being so, rear speaker stands should be between 36" to 46" inches high I'm gathering. Does anyone know the type of mount the s650 uses? I thought these looked pretty sharp and had the right weight limit, just wanted to know if the mount was right and if the price is acceptable. If I can find something affordable and sturdy at Best Buy or something, that's cool, too. http://www.btech-usa.com/bt10.html

Anonymous
The rear speakers should be from 2 to 3 feet above your ears when sitting down and one foot behind you with the speakers aimed at each other not you. Keep them at least two feet out from the back wall and 8 to 10 feet apart.

Anonymous
Not "slightly above ear level"; but rather slightly behind your listening position, far above ear level.

I've mounted my surrounds on the side walls about 8 feet from the floor. The side walls of my room are close enough, so I didn't need stands. Mounted using the keyhole mounts on back of speakers.

The distance between your l/r surround speakers should be wider than the distance between your front l/r speakers.

Anonymous
So the speakers have keyhole mounts? That's what I'm trying to determine, really. I haven't bought the system yet, but I'm trying to determine in advance how I'm going to arrange it. I've got the basic surround layout patterns from the Dolby site and a few other places, I just needed to know suggestions for stands for the speakers. I'm renting and moving within the year, so mounting them is kind of useless.

Anonymous
I screwed right into the back of the rears with wall mounts .. they do have keyhole slots but I wanted a more heavy duty mount. I have them about 8 feet up from the floor, slightly behind the listener with a very slight angle down and inward. Just a matter of personal preference but I find this sounds best in my room.
Don't bother with stands, you'll never get them high enough and the speakers are so large it'll look "clumsy"
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us