Dolby Digital or DTS on Onkyo HT-S650??

Anonymous
I have a question about selecting the best sound mode on the Extended Version of LOTR-the dvd offers DTS 6.1 or Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround. Since the system is only 5.1--will I be missing something by selecting the 6.1 DTS mode on the DVD?? Which mode is better? The Onkyo seems to be choosing Dolby Digital by default (I'm connected via optical cable).
Thanks for your help.

Sooteal
Anonymous-
I posted this same question on 12/31 regarding selection of sound mode for the Onkyo HTS-650 for this same DVD. I ended up listening to it with the 6.1 DTS and could not tell if anything was missing. It sounded awesome!!

I was wondering if any HT experts out there will respond and explain in "not too technical" terms the difference between Dolby Digital & DTS sound.
Which to select when given the option?
THANKS!!

Anonymous
I am expecting my Dolby Dig EX, DTS ES, 6.1 channel pioneer VSX-D811S sometime tomorrow and i have LOTR DVD lying in front of me.

I will see how it sounds and will definetly update the thread.

Anonymous
allways choose DTS when given the option.
DTS gives you a better sound and channel separation because of lower comression of the audio signal.
You need a DVD player with DTS and you have to turn on DTS in the dvd players setup menu.
Also receiver must have DTS decoding.
Throw in the DVD and select dts in audio options
and enjoy the show.

ps the receiver will display "dts" or "dolby digital" to let youknow which signal it is using.

Sooteal
Thanks Anonymous for the reply.

So.... I will not be missing anything if I chose DTS 6.1 even though the Onkyo is only 5.1??
Will the five speakers still pick up the sound which would go to a 6th speaker?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us