Coax to 5.1 conversion

hi,

my receiver has 6 inputs for 5+.1 channels (older receiver so does not take in coax/fiber in), but my dvd player has only a digital coax output. Is there any way to convert the coax the 6 discrete signals to plug into the 6 inputs of the receiver ?

Thanks
gprad

krok
I have the same problem, so somebody please answer this guy!

krok
F*** it! I'll just buy a new receiver then :)

Anonymous
The problem is that you don't have a decoder in your DVD or receiver. The DVD just pumps out the DTS, Dolby Digital, or THX signal without decoding it into the 6 discrete channels. Most receivers on the market have the decoders built in.

In essence, I think you have to buy a new receiver4.

krok
Fair enough.. Any suggestion on what to buy, to a decent price. Around $300...

Anonymous
I just bought the Kenwood HTB-205 from CC for $249 it comes with 5 speakers + 1 sub. The sub is a passive sub though (The Kenwood HTB-505 has a power sub) It works for me as I live in an apartment anyways. I have everything hooked up to it and it has a auto signal detect so it adjust it's self to the proper setting (DD, DTS) I have my dvd player plugged in using the optical cable. Had it for a couple of weeks now and I love it.

Anonymous
I have heard that Kenwood HTB-205 is being discontinued.
If you are really looking only for a receiver (and not HT speakers), then there are a lot of choices.

Onkyo, Denon, and Pioneer.
I personally like Pioneer VSX-D811S.
Best Buy had it on sale for 299.99. You can get it for less than 280 at eTronics.com or Soundcity.com

I have my reasons for liking pioneer -
it support 6.1. channel, is ready for future format like 7.1, supports DTS-ES (not just DTS), supports Dolby Dig-EX (not just Dolby Dig),
has lots of in/out jacks, has 100W X 6 channels, pre-amp out for sub.
Since this receiver is 6.1, you can connect an additional pair of back surround speaker or back sub-woofer.
Cnet.com has reated this receiver very good.

CHTFan
There is another way around. Buy a DVD-Audio capable player (like Pioneer DV-656A) which has DD, DTS decoders and 6 channel outputs. Connect them to receiver's 5.1 in using 6 rca or more expensive dvd audio cables. You get Dvd-Audio without throwing old receiver away. Can be done around $200 total.
I would try to test this out before buying though.

Anonymous
So if I understand that correctly, you are saying I can buy dvd player with a 6Ch output and connect it to a 5.1 receiver though the 6Ch dvd input and get DTS-ES and DD-EX sound? Without a back center speaker.

CHTFan
Not the ES and EX sound, just plain DTS and DD. (I am not familiar with pioneer receivers, so can't comment on them.) To my knowledge, receivers with good ES or EX from Denon, Onkyo or HK will cost above $400, not what I'd consider. As my name implied, I am a Cheap Home Theater Fan.
DD and DTS is good enough for most folks, just my opinion.

Anonymous
I hear you there. I think they are discontinuing the HTB-205 since they are pushing the HTB-505. For under $300 I'm happy with it. Until I can get my own home, I don't need to more powerful a.k.a more expensive HT setup's.

Anonymous
I took almost 2 months to decide on a HT system and settled for Pioneer HTP-725DV, which comes with VSX-D811S receiver.

I went to the extent of buying two different HT systems one from BB and other from CC. one was from KLH, another from Sony. I even compared the sound quality of Onkyo and Denon at BB, and finally settled on Pioneer. I must say that I am thoroughly enjoying my new Pioneer HT system.
For about $600, I now have a component HT system, which has lots of room to expand and connect future formats.

You can get the receiver VSX-D811S, alone for under $290.

I live in an apartment, and I cannot even run this monster at 1/3rd of it's power as my neighbors start feeling the punch this monster packs.

I would recommend people to take time and compare the output, sound quality, in/out options, future format compatibility, and expansion slots at various stores like Best Buy, and Circuit City.
Also spend time comparing your selection on the web, and read their reviews on cnet.com or consumereports.org.

After this research you would definitely have narrowed your choice down to 2 or 3 models, and that's when you can use the tiebreaker of how much money you want to spend

Anonymous
So you recommend the Pioneer HTP-725DV over the much acclaimed Onkyo HTS650? Is one more user friendly then the other?

Anonymous
I would definitely recommend Pioneer. But it's your money, so make sure you check the two out at a store (Best Buy and others), before taking anyone's word for it.

Pioneer receiver's Remote too is user friendly - I control all basic functions of TV, DVD, cable (can even control satellite TV)- all with one remote.

Anonymous
Like you, I also live in an apartment and want to know if I shell out thayt kind of money ($600) will I be able to enjoy either the HTP-725DV or HTS-650 without getting the boot. You know I dont want to buy one of them and half way through a movie have the fuzz knocking on my door. Only to turn it down and be able to enjoy the surround sound.

Anonymous
One thing I found nice with HTP-725DV, is that the receiver VSX-D811S comes with a Midnight mode.

Pressing one button on the remote suppresses any loud noise/sound and keeps the dialogs balanced.

You may want to read full specs of the receiver or this HT model HTP-725DV at crutchfield.com
These people have the best site when it comes to getting detailed information about a product.

URL:
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-rYUtaOL0KK3/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?i=130HTP725D

Crutchfield's prices are high, but their return policy is great. I would not buy anything from them if I'm dead sure on what I would keep and would not like to return it (if I can find a better price say at etronics.com).

Do comapre the options available on the receiver.

Anonymous
Thanks for the advice. I will check it out.

Anonymous
How do you feel about the Panasonic SAHE-100 digital receiver?

Anonymous
It's good, but somewhere I read that SAHE-100 receiver or one from this line of receivers is being discontinued by Panasonic.

Always try to compare the specs of the receiver you are considering.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us