5.1 or go for 7.1 and pay the price?

I'm in the market for an AV receiver and all the businesses that I have been to try to sell me something different to the other, some say go for the 5.1 channel amps and ignore the hype on 6.1 & 7.1 others are saying that I need to get 7.1 now and not waste my time with anything else. Have looked at Harman Kardon AVR5000 Onkyo TX-DS787, and various Yamaha and Denon 7.1. Please help, Confused and dilusional!

Matt
save your money and byuy a 5.1 reciever now. Then if you want to add 7.1 later; just buy a new reciver once prices come down.

Agreed. It would be better to spend the exra money in other areas of your HT setup. Also 7.1 would require a fairly decent size room.

How is it possible to save money by buying something now, only to spend more later for the same component, albeit with different features? Even if you bought a bottom shelf DD 5.1 receiver for $300 now, only to buy a 6.1 or 7.1 receiver for the same price later(not likely, but I'll follow your premise), aren't you still spending $600 in the long term? In which case, you can get a 6.1 or 7.1 capable receiver for that price now. I don't see the point. Even if you sold receiver A to help pay for receiver B, I think your savings are very minor, unless you have a sales pitch that would put Microsoft's ad department to shame.

My vote: go get the 6.1 receiver now -- you can certainly find top brand names/performers for reasonable prices if you dig.

I'm afraid I'd have to agree with Marc on this one. Spending more money later doesn't seem like a smart way to shop. Sure, if you're positive that you're never going to be interested in anything more than 5.1, then go ahead and buy one and save a few bucks... but if there's any chance you may want to expand at anytime in the future, then set yourself up for that expandability now.

A decent 7.1 channel A/V receiver isn't all that much more expensive anyway. You can get a 6.1 receiver such as the Denon AVR-2802 for $550 to $600, or the Outlaw 1050 for $499 (www.outlawaudio.com), and a true 7.1 receiver like the Denon AVR-3802 for around $750. The Outlaw has been critically acclaimed in numerous audio articles, and few find fault with the sonic splendor of the Denon products.

If you want a quality home theater you're going to have to spend that much anyway... sure, you can get cheap junk for $300 or $350... but if you want real fidelity and excitement you don't want that stuff!

Marc has it right, Get a 6.1 descrete (avoid matrix) that way you have backward compatibility with 5.1, and you can use the 6.1 movies that are already out (ie: star wars episode 1) you will not spend too much more if any more in the long run.

Isn't money now worth more than money later?

This is a guiding economic principal in my life. :)

Anonymous
buy the jvc 8020 5.1 reciever with the preamp output for 6.1 and 7.1. When ready buy the preamp or powered bakc speakers and you are on you for super surround sound. Peace to your wang

Greg Lee
Anonymous says: " buy the jvc 8020 5.1 reciever with the preamp output for 6.1 and 7.1. When ready buy the preamp or powered bakc speakers and you are on you for super surround sound."

I agree with that. Another possibility is Kenwood VR-6060 or VR-6070. Both have pre-outs for one back surround and an amp that can be used either for a back surround or for an unpowered sub. The VR-6070 has an extra pre-out for a back surround, so when you attach a stereo amp and two more speakers, you have a 7.1 system. A good use for the spare amp is bass shakers. If you happen to have an old receiver around, you can use that as an amp for back surrounds, when you get around to buying the speakers.

I think the Pioneer DSX-811S also has two pre-outs for back surrounds (but check this).
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us