HT-650 Speaker Wire Questions

hi there, i've just placed a money order for my first htib, a new onkyo ht-s650. i have a ps2 for a dvd player, and picked up a optical cable today. my question is this:

i've read a billion reviews and comments from sites and forums (i've never even HEARD the onkyo system, i purchased it totally from reviews and customer feedback, aswell as comments in forums) and a billion people say the speaker wire that comes with it is total crud.

i live in canada, and thus, had to plunk down $860 on this system, (ordered off of ebay, $140 for shipping) and that's just the system and an optical cable(amx optimum optical cable). i've already broken the bank just to get the system, and it seems from customer reviews like i'll still have to get replacement speaker wire and a better sub cable aswell, which is frustrating.

we have a store here called 'just hi-fi' and they have a few different kinds of speaker wire there. my problem is, they price at 20 cents a foot, 80 cents a foot, $2 a foot, and like $18 a foot. all the speaker wire was made by tara labs, except the 20 cents a foot stuff, which was made by techni. i talked to the saleperson and he said i shouldn't bother buying anything less than the $2 a foot cables because i won't notice a difference with anything less from the stuff that comes with the system. if that's true, is this the same case with the sub cable included? i'll need about 100 ft. of speaker wire, and i don't have $200 (i'd be asking for the sub cable and replacement speaker wire as a x-mas present from a friend, so the only cable i could get is the 20 cents a foot stuff) to spend of speaker wire alone, and if the 20 cents a foot stuff is the same as what comes in the box, then i could just ask for a nicer sub cable from my friend instead. advice?

by the way, the sub and optical cables are some 'amx optimum' brand. are they any good?

Cable Guy
Matthew,

First of all, congratulations on getting the HTS650. You'll be happy with it even though you have yet to even hear it. The included wires are indeed crap.

The sales guy is giving you a "sales guy line" by telling you that you need to spend $2 a foot on cable. Instead of going by price, look at the thickness of the wire (or gauge). The included speaker wire is something like 20 or 22 gauge (very thin, and that's what makes it bad).

For this system you'd need wire no thinner than 16 gauge (smaller numbers are thicker wires). Anything thicker than 12 gauge would probably be overdoing it for this system. It doesn't matter what brand it is, as long as you get thicker cable than what's included, and you'll notice a big difference.

For my HTS650, I'm running 12 gauge cable for the front three speakers (left over from a previous car stereo installation), and 16 gauge for the surrounds (27 cents a foot, Monster Cable S16). I got an Acoustic Research 12 foot sub cable ($15 at Best Buy).

All of these make a big difference in the quality of sound. You can't even compare it to the wires that are included with the system.

Thanks Cable Guy! I already have the AMX Optimum 3.3 ft. optical cable, and i'll be sure to talk to the sales people at just hi-fi, and see if the 20 cents a foot speaker wire is at least 16 guage. if it is, then i'm in business. but does anyone know anything about this 'AMX Optimum' stuff? i'll end up getting a sub cable from them aswell if no one posts any objections. i hear that the monster cable stuff is pretty sweet, too bad i don't have the money. i'll be replacing all the cables (sub, optical, and speaker wire) with monster stuff when i get the cash, but for now, i just want stuff that will be that much better then the crud that comes with the onkto system.

Anonymous
They sell 16 gauge speaker wire at Radio Shack and Home Depot.

I understand the Monster cable is oxygen free, which means the copper won't rust/deteriorate from time and moisture, but you do pay a premium.

Anonymous
I picked up some 14 gauge speaker wire and had it cut at Home Depot yesterday for 18 cents/foot. BTW, not to be the bearer of bad news or anything...but if you bought your system off of Ebay, you probably have no warranty. You might want to check the Onkyo website to see if whoever you bought it from is an AUTHORIZED Onkyo dealer. If their not, you have no warranty. Good luck.

Jack Beggs
Sounds like you payed a little too much... i just searched the net and found the onkyo ht-s650 for $499... you could have afforded some pretty damn expensive speaker wire with that extra $300... shoulda searched Cnet

Anonymous
Mr. Collins paid $860 in canadian money not U.S. since he lives in Canada!

Anonymous
Mr. Collins, you do realize by getting it from ebay you have nullilfied the warrenty, unless it was an authorized dealer.

What is the deal with big big speaker wire??You put big 12 guage speaker wire on it when the power cable for the whole system is only 14-16 guage. I havent ever seen bigger than 12 guage on an ac power cord, i think how can there be more current coming out than whats going in? same goes with car audio people put 1 and 4 guage power and ground but is it really needed? i got all round memphis speaker cable at 16 guage, subs,speaks and surround. it works fine,is bigger better?

The doctor
Hey guys, I need HELP, what's the difference between the oxygen free cables and the regular ones, which is better, I bought a 50' oxygen free copper cable for 9.99. ( car speakrs' cable)

I have another question, is there a difference between the car speakers' cables and the home speakers' cables? can I use the car cables for my onkyo system ?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us