Help needed for Xbox setup with receiver

Username: Jon61277

Post Number: 3
I've got several questions here about Xbox and my surround sound receiver. I've seen there are 2 AV packs you can buy for Xbox: the Advanced AV pack, and the HDTV AV pack. It appears that with the Advanced, you can get a digital audio output, and a S-Video output; with the HDTV you can get digital audio output and component video output.

Currently I do not have HDTV, but I do have a TV with 1 component input (currently used for DVD), and 1 S-Video input (currently used for satellite). I could see myself upgrading to an HDTV in the next 1-3 yrs, depending on how quickly prices drop.

Also, my AV receiver has 2 digital optical inputs, both are being used for DVD and satellite.

Here are my questions:

1. What do I need to buy to be able to also plug the Xbox digital optical into my receiver since I only have 2 slots and both are in use now?

2. Is there anything I can do right now to run both the Xbox and DVD component output into the 1 slot available on my TV? If there is anything available, how much does that cost? Or I am better off just using S-Video for the XBox video output to the TV?

Any advice is much appreciated!

Bronze Member
Username: Scotty2hotty

Chicago, IL

Post Number: 57
1. Something like this:
http://www.connectxpress.com/product.asp?cat_id=1206&sku=27027

2. Not sure...

Silver Member
Username: Joe_c

Oakwood, Ga

Post Number: 103
you might wanna try this, I know its more money but the problem with a splitter is that some units feed a digital signal when they are idle or even off so a splitter wouldn't work. I have used one of these and was very pleased with the results, plus it takes care of all of your problems.

Silver Member
Username: Joe_c

Oakwood, Ga

Post Number: 104
http://www.digitalconnection.com/products/video/1154a.asp sorry forgot to place link

Username: Santora

Post Number: 10
From what I've seen the optical and component are about equal. Given the fact you are probably moving around your XBOX a lot optical would NOT be my first choice anyway- much more fragile. Additionally the vast majority of xbox games aren't really taking advantage of the technology the same way HDTV broadcasts are- I used a DVI connection at one point for my xbox and couldn't notice a difference on anything I played. On the other hand the difference between optical or component and RCA is pretty big.
Anytime you add another piece of equipment into the input/output loop you can change the quality and it's unpredictable. Example- I have a 20 year old cable TV splitter made by Fischer that works great and a brand new high end one with gold plated blah blah blah and I returned it the same day because the picture looked horrible. Go with component.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us