New system for $2000?

Anonymous
If you had roughly $2000 to spend on a surround sound system that will be used for a wide range of music AND dvd films --- What would you suggest? I would like to stay with a small sized speaker, but after hearing the pros and cons of bose...well, need I say more.

I've had someone suggest:
Jamo Speakers w/subwoofer (white) 121
Pioneer VSX-D711 A/V Receiver
Pioneer CD/DVD Player 5 disk DV-C36

I have researched these components on the internet, but does anyone have any real experience with Jamo speakers and/or the Pioneer products? Are there better options out there?
I could sure use some help. Thanks!

Anonymous
Oops, forgot to put down that the model # of the Jamo Speaker System is A510PDD.

Anonymous
Well, everyone will have their own opinion, but I was in a similar situation for the price range (except that I already had a DVD player).

I think that the small Polk 6700s are nice. I almost went with them because of all the sales going on right now. But I think that the small speakers just don't sound as good bookshelves (I am far from an audiophile).

There are a hundred companies to go with for bookshelves: Polk, Paradigm, JBL, NHT, etc. The hardest thing is that when you listen to speakers side-by-side, you can hear differences and you get a preference. Definately listen to all the speakers you can. And the better sounding speakers always were higher priced.

I ended up with 4 Monitor Audio B2 and center, Velodyne 10" sub, and the Onkyo TX-SR600 receiver. I was able to keep this under $2k. I didn't find many reviews of the Monitor Audio (though the reviews were good), I just happened to walk into a local store that sold them, and I really liked them. You could also get the B1 for the rear speakers to lower the price a little too.

Enjoy.

Marantz sr-7300 and Energy encore speaker system. You will thank me later !!!!! It is about $2100

Dan
I work for a company that sells Jamo,Polk and Pioneer. We have that package set up and running, It sounds great!

po
Look at the Outlaw 1050 receiver (www.outlawaudio.com). It gets absolutely rave reviews, product of the year etc. They're only $499 and have very very good sound quality. Better hardware and sound than Onkyo SR600 for same price. Much better sound than then Pioneer model you mentioned.

For speakers, check out this link and get this package

http://www.soundcity.com/product.php?id1=HOME%20THEATER&product_id=11923

NHT is occasionally offering this package deal for $999 and the speakers are top top notch.

Use the $500 left and get any decent DVD player and you're set.

At least get the NHT package. Best deal out there right now.

-po
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us