Speakers for Marantz SR-14EX

Username: Icehawk5

Post Number: 4
My DVD set-up is now fixed and I'm enjoying my 5.1 THX Ultra Marantz.

I am upgrading my other components as needed and was wondering about speakers. I currently have Infinity RS-525's in the front and my choice of Infinity RS-1's or Klipsch SS-1's for the rear. I have a Boston Acoustics VR500 sub. I do not have a center channel speaker and have simply subsituted one of my extra surrounds for testing purposes.

The infinity's are nice (in my inexperienced mind) and were purchased 10 years ago, when they were considered very upscale in the retail stores.

I have a choice between trying to match with an Infinity RS center channel from E-bay, or some other acoustically similar model, or doing away with the bunch and starting from scratch.

I've been offered an older set (less than 5 years old)of KEF reference (all five speakers) for about $2,800 Cdn. While I'm sure they would be nice, I'd like to hear suggestions from the audience that would match my receiver.

The room is 22' by 22' and carpeted, with a large screen TV providing a large dead space.

The system would be 75% HT and 25% music. I also anticpate upgrading my DVD player to something capable of SACD and/or DVD-A, in which case the system may get more use for music.

I would consider the $2,800 to be around my maximum tolerance for additional cost.

Thanks

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us