Please help a newbie DIY - cabling and hookup

Username: Thissusan

Post Number: 1
I have gone HD, blending some new equipment with some old. I got a new Sony KV-30HS420 TV, DISH 811 receiver, and Sony DVP-NS575P Prog Scan DVD player. I have an old Sony reciever, STR-DE845, 2 Paradigm front channel speakers, and 1 center channel (no rears). I mainly watch common satellite broadcast fare, and a DVD 2-3 times per month. I am looking for good quality coupled with simplicity of use.

Here are my questions:

1. I have the option of going DVI (on Dish 811) to HDMI (on Sony TV). Is there a compelling reason to do this, or should I use good quality component cables to connect these devices?

2. Am I right to connect the Dish 811 directly to the TV (either component or DVI), and the DVD player directly to the TV via component cables?

3. For audio, I assume quality would be improved by using my 3 Paradigm speakers over the TV speakers, right? How do I connect audio (from sat dish or DVD) so I can use my speakers... is the best choice fiber optic cable, or is there a smarter choice? I won't have rear channel or sub, mainly because I'm not much of a special effects person. I like hearing voices the best on TV or DVDs.

4. Lastly, would I gain anything substantial by getting a newer AV receiver?

If someone can help with this, thank you in advance!

Username: Jermdog

Post Number: 5
On number 1 - You really won't see a difference between component and DVI/HDMI. The only real difference is the number of conversions (digital to analog) the signal goes through. If you connect via component cables, then the DISH box will be doing the conversion. If you connect with DVI/HDMI, then the TV will be doing the conversion. If you know someone who can loan you the DVI/HDMI cable, see which one provides the best picture. I say "loan" because I know these cables are expensive... Usually $100.00. And, I'm not sure a store would let you return it if it doesn't work out for you.

On number 2 - Again, it has to do with conversions. But, it also has to do with conveinience. If I can remember correctly, your current receiver does not have component or DVI switching (no inputs/outputs). I'll touch more on this for #4.

On number 3 - A fiber optic or digital coax (looks like an RCA connector, but is actually a 75 ohm balanced connector) would be the best choice, assuming your receiver has these inputs (which I believe it does).

On number 4 - A new AV receiver would give you more options, like sound fields (DSP modes), more connections, possibly more power and more flexibilty to do other things in the future. If you had an AV receiver with component and DVI/HDMI inputs, you could connect you video sources to your receiver, and your receiver to your TV. This would allow you to leave your TV on one video source, and use your receiver to switch the between video sources. That can be a big or small conveinence depending on your preference.

A few other notes on your system: You really should consider getting a sub and surround speakers. Set up correctly, they can provide a great deal of impact to your viewing and listening experience, without overwhelming you. You should know, subs are not just for special effects. They can provide the bottom one or two octaves in music that gives it a "warm" sound. Remember, that setting things up correctly is the key to enjoying the equipment you have. Keep in mind that with a set-up like this, you will always have to turn on your receiver to have sound. You can have it both ways, if you wish by connecting RCA connections to your TV as well.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us