First the receiver, then the...

Username: Xsound

Myrtle Beach, SC United States

Post Number: 1
I am beginning the long and enjoyable process of setting up HT. Receiver first, then the speakers. Looking for some input.

Probably 65/35 Theater/Music. Receiver Budget $1000 (maybe $1300). Local dealers (outside Circuit City and Best Buy) carry Yamaha rx-v line, Pioneer elite, and Denon.

DSP section is important as it will serve as pre-amp in a couple of years, before moving to the bedroom to anchor that system. THX is not a must, though I constantly battle my inner-gadget-tweak. Component Video Upconversion is pretty important. Definitely need something musical.

I was a strong lean to the rx-v2400/2500 or the avr-3805 until I began reading some more about the pioneer elite line. I like the power of mosfet. dark horse would bprobaly be the hk630. Back in the mid-80's worked for a company that sold HK, but really thought they had sort of disappeared. ( I don't love CC or Best Buy). though I have some preferences, speaker choice will come after the electronics. I wouldn't want realelitefan to chastise me for mismatching my pieces!

I really value image and soundstage ( I currently have a pair of MA 700 Gold mkII), to the point that I am toying with the idea of trying out one of the Magnepan Ht set-ups when I go for speakers, though I realize that they are probably too power hungry and possibly to much of a load for the receivers listed above.

I am not adverse to net purchasing, thoug I prefer to support my local shops. I am <2Hours from Charleston, SC which seems to have some decent shops. Myrtle Beach unfortunately is just a bit bleak on the hi-end sound scene.

Username: Xsound

Myrtle Beach, SC United States

Post Number: 4
I can get my hands on a Pioneer elite vsx-45 for around $450. It is a demo model. Is that a good deal? don't see much on that model on the net.

Username: Parker

Post Number: 3
$450 for a thx certified reciever isnt bad at all.

2076_4155_35072%2C00.html,http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pna/product/detail/0 ,,2076_4155_35072,00.html
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us