Archive through August 11, 2004KEGGER94
Archive through July 17, 2004John A.100
Archive through July 06, 2004John A.100
Closed: New threads not accepted on this page

Silver Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 316
Good golly Miss Molly, somebody finally answered the diacritical marks question. Thanks 2¢ for that. Must go now, I'm late for my kolnoscopy.

Gold Member
Username: John_a

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 3083
I can't see how Word helps: you have to get your extra-asci characters into Word in the first place, Señor.

It is a question of choosing your character set, Larry. Modern computer keyboards have the same letters as typewriters, and these include the letters in the local alphabet. So you can choose, say, a German keyboard mapping. However, the easiest thing to do is stay with an English keyboard mapping, if that is what you happen to have, and find the combination of keys you need for any non-English character. This will depend on your computer and operating system.

For example, on a Macintosh, you can get most of the most common non-English characters by just pressing the "alt" key, either as well as, or followed by, the "standard" key. That gives almost everything, and is how I wrote "Koln". You follow "alt + u", which gives "ü", quickly with an "o" to get "o". It could work for Windoze, too: they stole pretty well everything else.

BTW, pretty well the whole of the rest of the World is mystified by "@" which was never on their typwriters, and is still not on their keyboards. They have to do strange combinations of keys just to send an e-mail. They also call "@" funny things, not understanding it is just a symbol for "at". I think is is called a "snail" somewhere, and a "cinnamon roll", or similar, in Swedish.

I lost count of the number of times I tried to explain that a dozen eggs @ 1p each costs a shilling; you don't even have to think about it, it is just like moving the decimal point to multiply by ten, They look at you as if you are from another planet.

How old I feel!

BTW amongst various items for me, in room 101, is a computer display with the words "Valkommen til UNIX".

Gold Member
Username: Larry_r

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1058
John A. - thanks, am still trying to do this without cut-paste from Word, which seems a lot of work for a chat-session! (grin)

So - I FINALLY figgered out how to do it a little bit simpler - I call up "Character Map," then select whatever letter/mark I wish, and hit "copy." Then I go to the forum headings, click on "Edit," then "Paste" and on it goes. Sigh. Still a lot of work - but easier than doing the Word thing - and if I'm using that o-umlaut several times I can just hit "paste" again at the proper places. Out of luck, of course, if I'm doing several marked letters! Then I go back to the C.Map and start over. Sigh.

Working on it, and may find something even easier. Koln - there, I did it!

Thanks, all, for the comments. . .

Silver Member
Username: Ojophile

Take the Eh Train

Post Number: 311
Here's a partial list of accented characters that I use from time to time. I keep it in a file called symbols.txt --- plain text.

Cut, paste and save as plain text using Notepad or any other plain ASCII text program.

a
a
a
-- the cedilla as used in most Portuguese words,
e.g., meditacao, coracao, etc.

-- used mostly in German, I think?
-- the Spanish n as in El Niño
Symbols

º - degree as in 25º Celsius (I wish!)
¥
¢

©

£

If you prefer, I'll send it to you via e-mail. Send me a quick e-note and I'll reply. Let me know. Hope the above helps.

More on diacritical marks:
http://www.m-w.com/mw/table/diacriti.htm

Must go back to work. I'm doing technical support for two months. It sucks!

Also, I've been listening to a bunch of interesting CD's lately, but unfortunately, am too tired to post my impressions.

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 3085
That is another way to do it, Don.

There is also a simple key combination for each of those characters.

It is interesting how the 26-letter alphabet plus odd symbols such as "@", "$" and "&" became "asci". The rest of the World had to find ways of transcribing that to render their own alphabets and symbols. Also, odd asci characters acquired whole new meanings.

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1059
John A. - yes, there is a key combination for most of those marked letters - but it will work in Word - but NOT for the forum. Tried and tried, but nutting. Nada. Nope. Sigh.

I'll try Don's suggestion - sounds interesting!

More anon. . .

Silver Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 317
Yes, John A., Microsoft's Word program has hundreds of symbols in it. But I don't know how to call them up when writing a simple post on this forum, without writing in Word first. There's £, ¢, qué pasa?,€, ¼, ½, ¾, ..and many others. But, I'll try to follow Don's suggestion.

All our ancient typewriters have always had "@" on their keyboards, and since you brought it up, there must be a story of @'s existance.

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 3088
The symbols are produced by a character set, and not specific to any one computer program. Word is probably just giving a familar route to access them, a palette or whatever. You can type them in in anything.

Certainly you can type the symbols you give, JOHN, directly into the "Post" box, which is just a field on a computer screen. They may not render as you wished in the preview, or in the final page. "View Source" for this page to see how they have to get translated into HTML!

I think "@" is just a stylised, handwritten "at", rather like the treble clef in musical notation is just the letter "G".

My point about typewriters was that only English ones had "@", as far as I know. Prior to its use in e-mail, it was unknown in other languages. There was never an "@" key on non-English typewriters; it had no meaning, and there was no use for it. So there was no "@" key on their computer keyboards, either.

In e-mail, the "@" is used in a difference sense (meaning an address or location) than the original one, which was "unit cost" ("12 items @ $1 .... $12" etc). So adoption of "@" was probably a little joke, like usage of some characters in text messages. Plus the fact that the symbol was becoming obsolete and the "@" key was not used much for anything else. No wonder no-one except English speakers understands its origin, or knows what to call it.

Silver Member

Take the Eh Train

Post Number: 314
There is also a simple key combination for each of those characters.

I know, John A. For technical people like me, I could just as easily use Alt + a number to produce an accented character. My intent, however, was to provide others a simple method of typing exactly what they want to write. Just cut and paste the character into their text.

I can't see how Word helps: you have to get your extra-asci characters into Word in the first place, Señor.

Well, it does, to a lot of people who can't be bothered by using the extended character set.

pretty well the whole of the rest of the World is mystified by "@" which was never on their typwriters, and is still not on their keyboards... They also call "@" funny things, not understanding it is just a symbol for "at"...

Really? Where did you read that? Give the rest of the world more credit, John A. C'mon.

BTW, that's ASCII, not "asci".

Silver Member

Take the Eh Train

Post Number: 315
CD's that I've been listening to recently:

Spain - Michel Camilo (piano), Tomatito (guitar)
A duet between a jazz pianist and a flamenco guitarist. The title track is Chick Corea's famous composition.

details

Tchaikovsky: Suite No. 2; The Tempest
Detroit Symphony Orchestra / Neeme Jarvi
Tchaikovsky's music always has an instant appeal to me, and these two works made it to my list easily even before the first movement of the Suite No. 2 was finished. The typical Tchaikovsky structure is there: the development of the theme; the tension; the lyrical adagio providing relief; and the resolution.

details

Erroll Garner, Body and Soul - 5 stars, IMO
I have a lot of respect for the self-taught Garner who had a unique style that nobody could imitate and would dare to do so. Every track here is a gem.

details

My Romance - Kevin Mahogany
Strictly for night listening only, IMO. With someone special, that is.

As Time Goes By - Tuck and Patti

Another T & P keeper. Loved Tuck Andress's guitar solo on "Stella By Starlight."

Thank You, Ted - Rob McConnell Tentet
This is a tribute to Ted O'Reilly, former radio host of CJRT (Jazz FM), Canada's only all-jazz station. Those familiar with McConnell will remember his "Boss Brass" band. The Tentet swings just as hard, and the sound is just as rich and full.

The Glenn Miller Story - Soundtrack
Finally, a recording that I am truly satisfied with. I've had other recordings by orchestras bearing the "Glenn Miller" name. Most were disappointing. But this is my final choice. And yes, it's in stereo.

details

Diz - Gonzalo Rubalcaba Trio
Pure bebop!

Native Sense, The New Duets - Chick Corea (piano) and Gary Burton (vibraphone)
Another stunning duet, IMO, after their Crystal Silence outing. Requires some serious listening.

Symphony No. 7, Op. 105 in C major; The Swan of Tuonela; Lemminkainen - Finnish Radio Symphony Orchestra / Jukka-Pekka Saraste

It's Sibelus, period.

My Secret Heart Songs of parlour, stage and screen - Ben Heppner (tenor)
I was curious because it contains Roses of Picardy, I'll Be Seeing You, and Be My Love --- three songs that I like very much. I like the album but I'm not in a position to rate Mr. Heppner. Perhaps, Larry may offer a opinion?

Enigma Variations - Elgar
Orchestre symphonique de Montréal/ Charles Dutoit
I bought it because of (a) Dutoit and OSM; and (b) see "a".

Another welcome addition to my OSM/Dutoit collection.

That's it for now. Will be back in a couple of weeks.

G'nite.

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 3095
Don,

"Really? Where did you read that? "

I have read reams of speculation about the mystery of where "@" came from, and what to call it, in Swedish newspapers. Scandinavian IT companies had to make "@" paperweights and things to get people used to it. I also heard "kanalboller" - they have a spiral-shaped cinnemon bun that looks a bit like an "@".

I spent years intermittently trying to use Norwegian and Swedish typewriters, and computer keyboards. I assure you, there is no "@" key. Just as there is no "A" key on yours and mine, I expect.

It also goes for Danish. I can be fairly confident about Dutch, German, and French, too. Of course, I cannot speak for the whole of the rest of the World, Don. But it seems likely.

We all have typewriters and keyboards which are useful for writing in our respective languages. Simple as that. You can inspect many of them by changing the keyboard mapping on a computer.

"Give the rest of the world more credit, John A. C'mon. "

Sorry - I am simply saying "@" was a symbol understood only in English, prior to its adoption as part of an e-mail address. That has become international. There is no disrespect in that, any more than there is in pointing out to Larry that "o" is not the same letter as "o".

We all have our points of view, histories, and preconceptions.

"#" was a complete mystery to me until I first visited the US; I always thought of the symbol for "Sharp" in musical notation. And to this day I do not know what to call it. I recall people said "hash" but they now seen to say "pound" for some reason, massively confusing, here, since it is not "£". BTW ""#" is "Fyrekant" in Swedish. I am not sure of the spelling.

Yes "ascii". Thanks!

Silver Member

Take the Eh Train

Post Number: 316
Isn't It Romantic - Charlie Byrd Trio

Ho-hum. I think I'll stick to Mr. Byrd's bossa nova albums.

Für Elise - Best of Romantic Piano Music
Various Artists, NAXOS - 8.550647DX

Out of curiousity, I borrowed this CD from the library. I was disappointed. The interpretations sounded rushed and mechanical.

For instance, Balasz Szokolay reading of Isaac Albéniz's Tango in D was nowhere near the interpretation by renowned pianist Alicia de Larrocha or guitarist John Williams. This is a delicate piece. The middle part (in B minor) calls for some rubato as it gradually segues back into the main theme, this time played an octave lower. But Mr. Szokolay rushes it and thus, deprives the music of the chance to flow graciously.

Tchaikovksy's Barcarolle also suffered the same treatment from Ilona Prunyi. Compare this to Van Cliburn's playing. It's night and day. On other selections like Liszt's Liebestraum and Debussy's Reverie, I couldn't help comparing these readings with those of Cliburn, Jorge Bolet, and Pascal Roge

I think I'll go back to the big name artists --- Cliburn, Perahia, Rubinstein, Horowitz, Bolet, etc. for some reassurance. The good thing is I didn't lose any money.

Both CD's go back to library and out of my "To Buy" list. I also borrowed several Haydn Quartets on Naxos --- Op. 1; Op. 64; Op. 71, and Op. 76 by the Kodaly Quartet. I will need time to digest these works fully as I get "quartet-fatigued" after the first CD.

My opinion only, of course.

Silver Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 319
John A.,
http://www.symbols.com/encyclopedia/51/511.html
http://www.symbols.com/encyclopedia/45/451.html
http://www.symbols.com/encyclopedia/45/454.html
The reason we call "#" pound is because as long as I can remember, # was short for pound, lb., 16 ounces (avoirdupois). Curiously, this symbols site makes no mention of that. Here, in automated answering systems, you are sometimes directed to press the "pound" key on the telephone's key pad.

Don,
I've never heard of Tuck and Patti. Will do some research later.

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 3117
Thanks, John. Perhaps I dreamt "hash" for "#". "lb" stands for "Libra", same as "£". One is a unit of mass or weight, and the other of currency, of course.

Thanks, also, Don. I also find it is easy to OD on Haydn Quartets.

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1062
All: I'm finding great joy from the Kodaly Quartet's rendering of Haydn quartets. Got the op. 77 and 76 - and more on the way.

The big problem I face is the whumpa-wompa coming from the adjoining townhouse. I explain on "Old Dogs." Driving me C R A Z Y ! ! ! ! !

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 3167
For recordings of classical music, the BBC's "Building a Library" recommendations are now available in the form of an on-line database. It gives their "CD review" first-choice recommendations over many years. Usually there are many qualifications and caveats, depending on listeners' preferences, so I am not sure about the value of just one listed recommendation for each piece of music. But here is the link.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio3/building/

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 3187
The Beethoven Experience.

This week BBC Radio 3 is playing nothing but Beethoven, 24/7.

I was sceptical. But it is marvellous. The web site (above) is a real resource. All the symphonies are available for download, for example.

Silver Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 348
Speaking of "discoveries"....

Dateline Kiev....
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/727183.stm

Dateline Weimar....
http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20050607/lf_afp/afplifestylegermany_050607161718

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 3194
Really interesting, John. Thanks. I heard on the Beethoven Experience that BBC is planning a whole week of Bach, too, near to Christmas.

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 3321
London Live 8 performances rated

Thread: Live 8 Concerts

No interest in this "Historic Event".....?

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1075
First of the "newbies." Well, all, it's been a while since yer ole Uncle Lar dipped into his pocketbook and actually bought some new CDs.

The first of the new batch arrived from Amazon.com today - and it's a fine disc!

Sharon Isbin - classical guitar - playing three concertos: Concierto de Aranjuez by Rodrigo; Concerto for Guitar by Villa-Lobos; and Concierto del sur by Ponce.

OK - they all sound "esoteric," I know - but they're all really lovely, "Spanish" concertos.

What makes this album stand out from so many is, first, Ms. Isbin's performing skills. She not only has a great track record (several puns there, eh?) and a Grammy, but she's also head of the guitar program at Juilliard, and at the prestigious Aspen Music Festival.

Add to that her "accompanists" - the New York Philharmonic - and you've got the components for fine music.

And fine music it is! All the wonderful nuances are fully explored, and the sonics of this disc are pretty darned good - considering this is a "plain-Jane" CD, not a SACD disc.

Warner Classics 2564 60296-2 is it's number, and if you really like classical guitar concertos, this is a must-have for your collection.

My ONLY complaint is that conductor Jose Serebrier takes a rather march-like cadence with the Rodrigo, especially in the third movement.

Well, I got almost all the way through the disc when I found one tiny but audible flaw - a "tick" and an apparent one-note drop-out just a few minutes before the end. Sigh. So - do I go through all the trouble of sending it back? I decided not to do so - it's a small thing, and heck, I put up with thousands of "ticks" on LPs for so many years that this one liddle one will just have to stay in the collection.

I give the CD 4.5 for sonics and 4.9 for performance. (5 is tops)

More reviews to come as the CDs arrive.

Respectfully. . .

Username: Gunitjcord

Bronx, New York United States

Post Number: 1
Anybody know some new songs that just came out, like on October. Songs that get u hype, that u could dance to.

Don RX-1
Unregistered guest
Larry, John A., John S., MR, SM, 2C, Rick, et al

How are you guys doing? I haven't visited this thread in ages. In fact, I've already deleted my account ID, but anyways, I thought I'd pop in to re-visit this thread.

What you guys are listening to these days? More 2-channel stereo? High-rez?

Larry, any more SACD's added to your collection? As to the Aranjuez concerto, try also the recordings by Carlos Bonnell with Charles Dutoit; or Angel Romero with Andre Previn; or John Williams (g). Of course, I'm biased as Dutoit and Previn are two of my favorite living conductors. You'll find (or hear) none of that march-like cadence in the 3rd movement.

As for jazz, Concord Records' acquisition of Telarc is IMO a good move for the former as the latter has a superb catalogue of well-engineered classical and jazz recordings.

http://www.concordmusicgroup.com/

Regards to all,
Don

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 3860
Good to hear from you, Don.

"Old Dogs" is still there, and some of us are posting on Tube Talk.

I have discovered some music recently, and would like to compare notes, as we used to. Not so much time these days, however.

Silver Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 608
Yes indeed, best wishes Don.

Not too many new hi-res discs for me lately, but soon maybe.
I've been playing catch-up with the music of Bill Evans and Prokofiev.

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1151
We're here, John A! - just haven't kept up with it for some time now.

John S. - what a combination: Evans and Prokofiev! Hmm. . .maybe a new art form evolving here? (grin)

My latest hi-res discs include the fantastic Saint-Saens Piano Concertos - on the Audita label - with Anna Malikova, piano, and Thomas Sanderling, conductor. If you haven't heard these two discs, vol. 1 and 2 - well, you just need to buy them! Simply outstanding in every way.

I'm holding off on many discs now, because of other budget needs - such as a new car. Sigh.

Will post more soonish. . .

Respectfully. . .LarryR

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 3989
Great, Larry!

Just checking in, so to speak.

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1155
Natalie Dessay wins again! Her new album of Handel Cantatas "Delirio" is so delicious that I cannot help but recommend it to all.

Since her second throat surgery last fall, Ms. Dessay's voice is changing from silver to gold. She may or may not ever again attain the ultra-high notes of her previous albums - but her voice on this CD is so smooth and, uh, "creamy" that I cannot help but believe her career is off well and good on a second incarnation.

Once you hear this CD you will be enchanted, and will want more of this marvelous French soprano.

And the folks at Virgin Classics are to be commended for their excellence in sonic quality. Gone is the "smurf" and "shrill" of labels such as Deutsche Gramophone. This company is getting it right!

Now - folks on the "Old Dogs" thread under Audio may get on my case - but this is one CD that can even do without my beloved "tweaks" of green-lining the edges. However - DO clean the CD - the sound will improve with Walker "Vivid" or something of its ilk. Recommended. . .

Respectfully. . .LarryR

Bronze Member
Username: Jazzwannabe

Post Number: 15
John S. - I hope things are going well on your side. Evans and Profokiev or Prokofive or Prokofiev (can't pronounce or spell that one!) --- yeah, that's an interesting combo.

John A - any new Naxos discovery lately?

Larry / John S. / John A. - Do you buy your CD's/SACD's mostly online these days? For me, I have to drive to downtown Toronto to go to two and only two big stores of CD's. The selection of DVD-A's and SACD's here is still paltry compared to what you get there in the U.S. and U.K., I imagine.

Regards to you all and keep warm, wherever you may be. Is it spring yet?

- Don

I'll revert to my old id, "Don RX-1" as soon as I remember my password! I already got a new activation key but that dang pwd!

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1165
Don: I buy virtually all of my CD/SACDs Online. Amazon.com or ArkivMusic mostly. I'd say that 75% of my purchases are thru Amazon - except when the more esoteric stuff is on my list - then I usually have to go to an alternate dealer.

Spring? Heck, it never stops being spring down here in Swampville - except when it becomes summer/ AKA "big wind season." (grin)

John S. - still pondering the Evans-Prokofiev combination. . .that's not Sammy Prokofiev, is it - the bassist who got thrown out of LA for playing in the buff? (double grin)

Sorta respectfully. . .LarryR

Bronze Member
Username: Jazzwannabe

Post Number: 16
"...that's not Sammy Prokofiev, is it - the bassist who got thrown out of LA for playing in the buff?"

Lar, where do you get all this stuff? :-)

Na zdrowie!
- Don

he-he, do you know what that means?

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1167
Don: Whadda yah kinda pull, kid - eh? Of course - everybody knows "cheers" when one sees it!
(triple grin)

And you're about as Polish as Sammy Prokofiev!

Luv and stuff to you and yours, way up there in Canuck-land! We're sending my cousin, Francois de la Roche, back up from here in about a month. He teaches rock sculpture here in the winter, and outside of Montreal in the summers, when the "big winds" come our way. Really. . .

And BTW - I get "all this stuff" out-ah my head. Remember, mon ami, that I'm a recovering journalist! (grin)

Respectfully. . .LarryR

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1170
And oh, yes - Don -

"Mabuhay."

LR

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 2857
Spent last evening listening a fabulous CD. It's the third time I've played it but the first with my newly configured system. WOW! If you like jazz and haven't heard it I suggest you get a copy of Charles Lloyd's ""Jumping the Creek". My wife doesn't often comment on the music, but last night she said several times how much she enjoyed that disc (and also how good it sounded). Very good stuff.

Anyone purchase the Bolcom "Songs of Innocence and of Experience" 3 disc Naxos set. I purchased it a couple of weeks ago and haven't listened to it. I hope to get that opportunity this weekend or next. If you've listened to it I would appreciate a word or two of your thoughts.

Silver Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 816
"...that's not Sammy Prokofiev, is it - the bassist who got thrown out of LA for playing in the buff?"

Those who follow Sammy's sad story know the last straw was when Sammy switched from upright to electric.

Upload

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1181
John S. - L O L!!!! Very good, sir. . .
and shocking, very shocking! (grin)

LR

Silver Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 822
"John S. - I hope things are going well on your side. Evans and Profokiev or Prokofive or Prokofiev (can't pronounce or spell that one!) --- yeah, that's an interesting combo."

I wasn't trying to compare Evans and Prokofiev, although both were pretty good at the keyboard come to think of it. They also were accused of being somewhat cold and cerebral, at times. However, my only reason for citing them is because I have an equal commitment and enjoyment of both "classical" and "jazz", two very nebulous terms.

In Evans' case, I've known of his special talent and almost cult status for a long time, but never really listened to him. I've ordered some stuff by him, but would like some suggestions anybody might have.

The Prokofiev 5th Sym. has long been a favorite, but other than the "Classical", I have not heard the other symphonies or much else by him.

Art, I have not listened to Charles Lloyd in many years, but I will order "Jumping the Creek". From what I read the Bolcom set has a bunch of styles. And apparently, Naxos did a good job of recording an ensemble numbering up to 400 musicians. U of M music students, too!

Silver Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 844
Art, I have listened to the Charles Lloyd "Jumping the Creek" disc a few times now. There's some really fine playing to be heard. On first listen this music seems off into some otherworld that defies description. With more listening, the album's focus becomes clearer, or at least more familiar. This is not your normal 4/4 swing, and it does not work well as background while entertaining friends for dinner. No, this is an effort by Lloyd and his three compeers to create original music, and in doing so they take post-bebop to another level.

This is my introduction to the impressive Geri Allen on piano. Her sensitive, intelligent touch on ascending/descending chords and the imagination she employs during Lloyd's atonal excursions shows a technical mastery that begs closer listening. Bassist Robert Hurst adds maturity and creativity to the proceedings. I enjoyed his playing on the Krall/Montreal DVD. Eric Harland's percussion adds much texture without resorting to cliché. Then there's Lloyd, who one moment can sound like a tentative beginner, and in another moment create Coltrane-like walls of sound.

This music is revelatory and almost spiritual to me, and as Stanley Crouch's liner notes point out, this album is "always surprising in an uncontrived manner."

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 2910
If you enjoyed the Charles Lloyd album please try Geri Allen's "The Life of a Song". Excellent music. Showcases her genius.

Silver Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 845
Thanks Art,
I just ordered Geri Allen's "The Life of a Song" on SACD. Not only am I impressed with Ms. Allen, but I am a sucker for piano trios. Can't wait to hear it.

Also found out she's married to Wallace Roney. Now there's a dynamic duo!

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 2913
Yes indeed, I have one Wallace Roney disc "No Room for Argument".

"I am a sucker for piano trios"

And this ain't just any piano trio, Dave Holland and Jack DeJohnette really stretch out on Geri's album. "The Life of a Song" is truly marvelous music making. The group has incredible syenrgy and they have an wonderful grasp of MUSIC in all of its incarnations. Whether it be harmonic texturing or a knowledge of when percussive piano will have the desired impact these folks know what they're doing and we are the richer for it.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 2920
New Alwin Symphony discs on Naxos quite a delight! Anyone giving them a listen? Perhaps one has to be an anglophile to get as much pleasure from them as I do, but I'll confess my love of all musical things English (classical that is).

Silver Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 847
Art, I have only two CDs where Wallace Roney appears. One is Chick Corea's "Remembering Bud Powell". While maybe not an absolute must have album, it is nevertheless a good one.

The second is "A Tribute to Miles" ('94). The album opens with a live, blistering performance of "So What", and this alone is worth having the CD. How many trumpet players can step out on the stage with Herbie Hancock, Wayne Shorter, Ron Carter and Tony Williams and play a Miles Davis tribute? Mr. Roney acquits himself very well here, and the other players are in top form as well.

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1247
Art: So glad that you posted re the Naxos discs. I went on Amazon immediately, and ordered two of them, after auditioning several snippets. Two symphonies and piano concertos. Frankly, I knew nothing of the composer - but look forward to "trying him out" in the near future. thank you!!

Respectfully. . .LarryR

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1249
Art et al: Whilst rummaging around on Amazon I happened to get one of their "if you like this, LR, you'll like this, too."

Object under discussion is a Philips 2-disc set of the Schumann piano trios, a quartet and a quintet. For the extreme budget price of 14.95. Beaux Arts Trio - so it's real quality. Just had to have that, also! (grin)

Its big competitor is - or rather are - separate discs by the Florestan Trio - but the CDs are 21.95USD EACH - and although the Hyperion sound may be a tad warmer than Philips, certainly not worth the extra money, IMHO.

LR

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 4073
Art, I recently bought a Gerald Finzi choral/orchestral 2-CD set, on Decca, also have his clarinet concerto, on Naxos. Excellent.

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 4077
Not Naxos, Hyperion.

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1256
John: yep - Hyperion has very good sound - but they jack up the prices over the Naxos level - and I'm always suspect of their performers.

I "think"the label is really trying to be a player - but then again, I don't know all the politics involved.

I try, try again - and hope for the best - sound.

LR

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 2952
I have several of Finzi's pieces on Naxos. As for Hyperion I find that their "Romantic Piano Concerto" series is outstanding. Naxos was Gramaphone's label of the year last year and along with Chandos and BIS are really my favorite classical labels. Off to get ready for work. I'm glad to see your posts here in the music section.

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1257
Art: Thanks - will look up the piano concerto series, for sure. I'm with you on Naxos and Chandos especially. Whenever Mer and I go back to Chicago on a visit we raid the CD shops, and always find our suitcases filled with new discs - many of them Naxos and Chandos.

As we only have Barnes & Noble here (and their selection is abysmal) we buy Online for the most part.

LR

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1270
Art: got the first of two Alwyn discs today - and put it on immediately. I was struck by the fact that this man is, first and foremost, a cinema composer. And I think a very good one.

But though I agree that his music has compelling and pleasing qualities, it just doesn't seem to go anywhere. That made Mer quite uncomfortable, and she opined that it was "vacuous." To which I voice opposition. . .

I love his harp concerto, and Symphony #2 - but the #5 is about what it really was - a write-for-hire composition that, to me, leaves a stale taste.

I look forward to his piano concerto disc - and am quick to admit that I'm much more of a concerto mope than a symphony mope - GRIN

Thanks for the heads-up - I'd not heard of him.

Also today - a sweet and stylish Saint-Saens cello concerto with Steven Isserlis - just plain wonderful!

Of course - I cleaned (not polished) both discs before playing! (double grin)

LR

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 2982
Seems a bit of a mixed result. I hope you enjoy the piano concerto. I think perhaps I'm a bit more adventurous with classical music than some. Might take that into account with my recommendations...lol!! Heck I like Lutoslawski and Ligeti, what do I know?

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1273
Art: Good for you that you are "a bit more adventurous" in your Classical selections, sir! Even with music training, I find myself lacking in appreciation for most of the Modern Composers. Example: I have two friends who love the French composer Messiaen. Frankly, his work agitates and upsets me.

OK - super-sensitive I may be. But I'm afraid I'm rather "stuck in the 19th century" for my personal tastes.

However - I'm glad that you recommended Mr. Alwyn, and, as I posted, I do appreciate some of his compositions.

Perhaps this is all part of what I guess is a diminution of group-size in my listening habits. Where once I embraced the New York Philharmonic, I now seek out quintets and trios. Hmm. . .so, is that a "geezer trait?" Well, shucks, may well be! (GRIN)

Meanwhile, if you haven't heard much of Saint-Saens beyond "Carnival of the Animals," may I humbly suggest that you dip into his piano concertos and other such work? Very rich and rewarding. . .

Respectfully. . .LarryR

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 2992
I own 2 versions of the complete piano concertos of Camille Saint-Saens, the Pascal Roge and the Jean Philippe Collard. I also have his piano trio and Piano Quintet. Actually I have several other of his works as well.

Actually my most well seasoned (aged) friend is a big fan of orchestral and movie music and doesn't care for chamber music. He owns the Musique Gourmet. Its the finest classical music store that I know of. I guess it's justa matter of preference. I like both.

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1283
Art: As Mer would say: "Excellent, quite excellent!" With your eclectic taste(s) in music, you qualify to pass judgement on everything from Bach to BeBop, I guess!

"Well-seasoned?" Hmm . .sounds like the kind of friend to keep, for sure. . .

And every time you bring up music stores and friends who like and know music - sigh - well, I just print out your comments and add fuel to my fire that is my intent on removing myself from Swampville and going somewhere more culturally-oriented! Such as Portland and environs??

Giving those printed bits of "fuel" to Mer has yet to garner any enthusiasm for Portland on her part, but I continue to chip away. . .

BTW - if you're ever of a mind to have a bit of fun, find a copy of the DVD: Anna Russell, the (first) Goodbye Tour." It was recorded in the '80s, and contains nearly all of her priceless jabs and takeoffs on opera. I can't watch the darned thing without simply breaking down in tears, I laugh so hard.

Respectfully. . .LarryR

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1284
Art: OOPS forgot to add - while I've enjoyed the Alwyn works, I found that a "well-seasoned" friend out in Gig Harbor, Washington, (not too many light-years from you?) is drooling over the prospects of the discs - so I'm sending them on to him. He's an unrepenting Anglophile and quite a music expert. Also a curmudgeon of the third order - but that's another story! (grin)

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3034
It would likely be quite a shock to go from such warm and sunny environs to our cool 8 months of darkness. I love it here though. The music and food and on and on is so wonderful. One must remember that if you aren't in Seattle, Portland or Eugene (last resort) then you are indeed in the "sticks". Not much of a drive to cultural activities but still in the sticks.

I hope your friend and my fellow Anglophile enjoys the Alwyn.

Keep talkin' to Mer she'll come around.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3035
Just bought tickets to see Wynton Marsalis in a intimate hall this fall (The Shedd in Eugene). It will be the first time I've seen him since the 80's. Very much looking forward to it.

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1315
Art: thanks for the weather thumbs-uh-"down" - I'll take that into consideration, for sure! Hmmm - eight months of darkness? Uh, well. . . .(grin)

And yah ain' got a lock on being "in the sticks," my friend - outside of the main cities, Flawed-Duh! is perhaps the most "sticky" state I've been in since a drive across North Dakota! (grin)

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 2196
Marsalia, then Art?
That should be great, Wynton brings a great band, no floaters.

For a change of pace, Me and Mrs Nuck are seeing Willie Nelson at a 6,000 seat venue on the 27'th.

A bit out of characture, but who can argue with 50 yrs of music, that pigtail, and various pot busts?

It may be great!

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1316
Nuck: Willie is, at least, honest. That may or may not be said for the other performers mentioned above.

Then again, I've interviewed Mr. Nelson - not Mr. Marsalis. Because he thought CNN wasn't worth his time. . .sigh.

LR

Gold Member

Post Number: 2211
Thanks Larry.
Willie seems quite honest as I've read a bit online lately. At least he was honest until it came to the IRS.That was his accounting group, no doubt.
I can't imagine Willie rollin' up a fattie and doing income tax for some reason.

Is there an archive of your interview somewhere out there? That would be Ironic ( for lack of a better descriptive).

Nuck

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3086
Well yes Larry that would keep me from listening to Wynton (huh)! Mr Marsalis is honest where it counts in his music. His personal life belongs to him.

It is my opinion that Wynton lives his life with integrity. I have not seen or read anything to the contrary and I have followed him since he was a kid. Willie on the hand is an honest dope smokin' tax evadin' good ole boy. The kind of fella we can all look up to (Yeah)! I do enjoy his music though.

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1326
Art: Didn't say that Mr. Marsalis lacked integrity, just that he can be, uh, "difficult" to deal with. He is, indeed, a very fine performer - and nothing I say should ever keep anybody from listening to his/her chosen musicians! Not even when I got paid for reviewing them! (a long time ago)

A "public" individual must give up part of his personal life when he/she opts for the spotlight - and thus his personal life no longer truly "belongs to him" alone.

Yeah, Willie lost his ranch to the IRS - and claimed that his accountants did him in. Who knows? But he's pleasant and a great interview - though I honestly cannot say that I "look up to him!" (grin)

Nuck: Sorry - no file drawers full of my old stuff - I long ago tossed everything except one story that has great personal meaning - though I understand that the Museum of Broadcasting in Chicago has a lot of the tapes. Why I can't imagine. Don't have enough of an ego to really care. . .it's ancient history.

Respectfully. . .LarryR

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3088
Larry have you listened to Wynton's program on XM channel 70 on Saturday morning. Have you seen video of him educating kids or music students. Wynton gives back to his community and makes himself available to his public and fans. This fall he will be a part of OFAM (Oregon Festival of American Music) which means that he will be part of an educational seminar. He will meet with us after the show for refreshments and conversation. Just like the first time I saw him here at the DaVinci Days festival in Corvallis when he was just a youngster. He was friendly, humorous and informational. After what I've seen done to Branford by journalists I can see why Wynton would be leary, and he has that right.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3089
BTW - I didn't say that Wynton can't be difficult because both he and Branford (not to mention Delfeayo and Jason) can be (depending on your definition ofcourse). Wynton along with some of his friends like Stanley Crouch feel a special obligation to both today and the legacy that they leave (especially as it relates to the African American community). They don't want to be a part of the minstrelsy of the past where their art is measured by it's roots as opposed to by it's merits. Wynton is careful, which white folk often construe as uppity or difficult. Like his one time idol and later rival Miles Davis, Wynton wants to forge his own path and I admire him for that.

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1327
Art: Oops - I see hints of racial bigotry on my part sneaking in here. Let's not go there, for there is nowhere to go, sir!

I'm only "judging" Mr. Marsalis on my attempted dealings with him - and his managers.

I admire any person who gives back, and forges his own destiny - especially if he or she is given a special talent. From what you say, Art, it would appear that Mr. Marsalis uses his talent wisely. And your comment re journalists treating him or his family badly - well they are probably true. I hold very few of my former peers in high regard - so you won't get any argument from me on that score.

Respectfully. . .LarryR

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3092
Thank you for your respectful reply Larry, I truly appreciate it.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3119
Just bought Richard Strauss Orchestral works 7 cd box set for $21 on Arte Nova with David Zinman conducting the Tonhalle Orchestra Zurich. An overall outstanding value. Much to be admired on these discs.

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1330
Art: A very respected conductor and an underappreciated orchestra! As they say in New Yawk: "Whadda deal!" Don't know the label, but I'll look forward to your further reviews. Thanx. . .

If Zinman does for Strauss what he does for Mahler, well, you've got a "goodie" on your hands!

Does the set include "Zarathustra?"

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3122
It does indeed and I listened to it last night. This set is a truly marvelous bargain. The sound is very good and most of the performances are top drawer. They may not be up their with legendary performances but like his Beethoven cycle in some cases they may be even better (Szell's Beethoven 6th vs Zinman's come to mind). I bought the Box at Border's (not known for good deals) with my 25% off coupon. The classical and jazz sections at Border's have become tragically slim. Today I'm off to Portland. I'll probably go to the audio shops in the Hawthorne District and then it's off to the Pearl for music shopping and dining at Henry's. Today's weather a beautiful sunny and 70 degrees.

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1332
Art: Sunny and 70! Ahhhhhhh! Here it's 88 and HUMID! Though sunny this ayem, it will be cloudy by three.

Borders? Yeah, we have one of those here - but they have a most unfortunate policy: every clerk has to do duty in every department. So - dey ain' no music specialists, and nobody on "the floor" can answer questions with anything other than "well, I can look it up." Hmm. . .

Barnes and Noble is a step higher - at least they have dedicated music-clerks - who know a LOT about pop/rock. Jazz? Oh, you mean Kenny what-is-name? G? Ur sumting. Uh, nope. . .sigh.

So - to Amazon, Arkivmusik, etc., I go

End of "rant," sir -just letting off steam. . .

LR

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3131
Yep Larry they've forced us into the cities and on to the interbet to buy music. Sorry you had to read about my Portland trip twice. I guess I'm so excited about it being the weekend, and the weather is beautiful, and the shopping is going to be so much fun, and.......well you see what I mean I just get carried away.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2253
And rightfully so, Art.
The rites of spring are as follows:
Make love
Enjoy music
Make love...

Clean garage.(sigh)

At least the boombox(JVC DPM200) is playing April wine(appropriate).

Happy spring to those who do not live in temperate climes, and a bandana for Larry, who does.
How's that weather, Larry?
Hot enough for ya?
hehe

Gold Member

Post Number: 2254
Another sidebar, if I may...
An ode to spring...
I would offer a toast to the omnipotent being whom invented spring.
After so many months of dreariness, so much snow, so many horrible trips and so much Jack Frost, I bid a cheery Adieu. Salud. Buh-Bye.

Now is the payoff for all the duress of another winter.

I would offer thanks, and invite all to enjoy, the Mead, the Music, the Mating, the Merriment and the Mutual joy of spring.

Clean the garage, the beer fridge, start the mower, clean the eavestroughs, yadda yadda, no matter.

Mother Nature or Father Time or the Great Pumpkin has bestowed upon me a gorgeous day, and I am grateful.

Diety bless!

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1340
Art: Understand your rapture - I get the same feeling every time we go "home" to Chicago, or to my old stomping ground, Washington, D.C. Museums, music, and vast arrays of CDs - waiting to be plucked from their bins! (which I - sigh - do too well)

Nuck: yeah, it's more than hot enough for me. Weather mopes are saying it's hotter than last year, which means that the threat of hurricanes will be even greater than 2005. Our yard is still "propped up" after Wilma - and my new bushes are just getting a good start. If they blow away this time, Mer says we're gonna do the same, as in "bye bye Swampville!"

Stores are already laying in hurricane supplies - Sam's Club just brought in 300 generators, for example. They sold 200 of them the first week. . .if that tells you anything about the angst down here.

Yeah, it's hot enough for me!!! But, unlike you up in the white country, we down here in the green country can't WAIT for November!

Gold Member

Post Number: 2309
We dig November, Larry.
It's January that bites!

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1344
Hmmmmm. . . .

Gold Member

Post Number: 2334
It's a long December, and it's easy to believe
Maybe next year will be better than the last

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3184
I'm going to toast to no hurricanes for Larry this year...join me. The southern US took enough BS last year, let's hope the Lord has a different plan this year.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2357
Should the storm pass you by,
should it wink you in you eye,
should good things come to pass ,
should luck come out your amplifier

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3194
It's payday and I bought a whole bunch of new music today.

Branford Marsalis "Trio Jeepy" greta disc for he and Milt Hintom

Patricia Barber "Cafe Blue"

Richard Strauss - "Orchestral Songs" Vier letze Lieder, Soile Isokoski with the Rundfunk Sinfonieorchester Berlin led by Marek Janowski

Neil Young "Prairie Wind"

Wycliffe Gordon "What you dealin with"

Gillian Welch "Revival"

Manu Katche "Neighborhood" Tomasz Stanko is on this album and he is an absolutely fabulous trumpeter. Saw him in concert last year and met him after the show.

Tchaikovsky "Symphony No. 6 Pathetique" The Royal Philharmonic conducted by Danielle Gatti.

I have much good listening ahead of me.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2365
Art, I can't spell most of those..do you like the Neil Young?

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3199
Haven't listended to Neil yet but I really like his last album "Greendale" which my wife bought.

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1350
Art, et al - so what happened to Jim Hall? Today, I played his SACD "All Across the City," and was struck by the feeling that he'd somehow "lost the touch." Oh, the music was nice, late-night cognac and cigar stuff, but the zest and verve of earlier albums was gone.

What a change from what I consider his "zenith" album: "Concierto." In playing the two A-B-A I wondered if it was age, a change of technique, boredom? What?

Any comments from those of you who know the work of Mr. Hall and his guitar. . .all welcome.

Concierto, BTW, is my second-favorite jazz takeoff on the Rodrigo composition - after, who else, Miles Davis with his "Sketches of Spain."

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1352
A quick add-on to the above, please. On the "All Across the City" CD - the music really takes off when keyboardist Gil Goldstein takes lead - and especially so when he and bassist Steve LaSpina start chasing each other's musical tails around the studio. Fine, fine jazz there - but Mr. Hall just sounds tired - IMHO.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3214
I'm not sure what happened to Mr Hall. I also own the Concierto album. Some years ago I bought another album he played on (don't remember which one now) and his playing seemed non descript. He can still play but his playing has an antiseptic feel to it. It's as if he doesn't feel he can take chances. Too bad I feel.

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1353
Art: my take on him, exactly! Couldn't have phrased it better than you did, sir.

As you know, I'm a Paul Desmond fan-atic - and especially so when he plays in quartet-mode. His early albums (ok, ok, CDs now - were LPs then) with Jim Hall were very fine - but his later work with Ed Bickert is to be remembered, and treasured.

If they'd only bring out "the complete Bourbon St. sessions" CDs I'd pay most anything for them.

B.B. King was in town last night - sold out, I couldn't get tickets. At age 80, he still wowed the crowd and the critics. What I want from performers is what B.B. King gives - soul, passion, talent and grace. May he live forever!

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3216
Amen!

Gold Member

Post Number: 2383
BB opens in Memphis on Friday.
I hope we get there in time!

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1358
Haven't you heard? Memphis doesn't allow Canucks in town. So I understand. . .(grin)

That's why I've nevah been dare.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2393
I spoke in French and for some reason, The border guys thought that was better than Canuck.
Gosh, we even have a conservative Gov. now and everything.

BB was awesome to see.Just to catch the ol' master layin it out made me feel guilty for my travel whining! Great show, really appreciative home crowd.

Saw today, well, Graceland first. Nice tour. We had fun.Zero trinkets, although we havn't left yet.
Walked Beale St. top to bottom(3 beers, long walk)caught some street players and local pickup bands, plus 8 old fat african american guys who made a picture of exactly what I would have expected on Beale.A total blast! These guys should have had a stage instead of 'The Gin Blossoms' who we heard for about 2 songs.

In the blues tent, we caugh 'Honeytribe'. The band is fronted by Devon Allman(I dont know who's son he is) and the band was great!
Blues/slide was a guy named Carlos, joined from Dickie Betts' band for the show.Rock and Blues, very good with a first rate drummer. The whole band was great, and the sound was super. No cases, stacks or bins required for these guys.

Lots more to come.

http://www.memphisinmay.org/print.asp?cid=113&title=%202006%20Line-up%20and%20Ti mes

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3232
Sounds like fun Nuck. Can't say that I would have any interest in Graceland but Beale..well that's another story. Enjoy!

Gold Member

Post Number: 2419
Well we went whole hog, Art.
Now i can say we went, anyhow, and it was fun with Mrs. Nuck.
As well as the fest, We took the nickel tour of Sun records (very cool),Gibson guitar factory tour, spent a lot of time at BB Kings bar(good house band? you betcha!), toured Beale and, of course, the bands.
I will offer a bit of a band review in a bit.

Silver Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 907
I visited Graceland one year after Elvis' death (Summer 1978). Across the street there were tons of souveneer stores. I wanted to take something home but there was no trinket I could select that was in remotely in good taste....but then maybe I missed the point. At that time, the famous gate to Graceland was closed to visitors.

I did go to Sun Studios then, where there was still some serious ambiance. I stood in it and I swear I heard some echoes.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2426
The studio was indeed a lot of fun. I sat on the drummers throne for the 20 minute tour stop.
Got a pic at the mic, Elvis made his veryfirst recording on that mic.Thank-you, thank you verra much!
I poked around at the old equipment as much as anything, the old toobs and such. Quite enjoyable.
Heard the story about the million dollar quartet and how it was recorded surrupticiously.

$75 an hour to record there now(with engineer)!
Pics of U2 recording rattle and hum there, old Ampex board and all.

Graceland is all about the Kitch, playing more on Vegas Elvis than the young man, but the tour inside and seeing the Jungle Room and the Trophy room and all those gold records and such.
Fills a gymnasium!

Gold Member

Post Number: 2485
Oh, man, I've been listening to the Million dallar quartet, and this is one EVERYBODY should own.

I've got the Lings in stereo and a little bass going on.
This is hypnotic!

Brand new fron Sun records, purchased on site and OUTTA SITE!

Live with the band, so cool.

If I be over the top, it's cause I dig!

Gold Member

Post Number: 2489
Jerry Lee Lewis was recording on a Saturday, and Carl Perkins was doing the same.
Elvis stopped by(already under RCA Label) and Johnny Cash stopped by.

I dig this cd!It is an impromptu jam like no other!

Get one!

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3248
Sounds interesting Nuck. I may have to put that on my list.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2507
The recording is impromptu, entirely.
Some good songs, but nothing of any quality for reproduction, the cd IS the master, outright.

It may just be a bit of nostalgia, but one that I will treasure.

It's that unique.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3260
3/30/06

If you enjoyed the Charles Lloyd album please try Geri Allen's "The Life of a Song". Excellent music. Showcases her genius.

3/31/06

And this ain't just any piano trio, Dave Holland and Jack DeJohnette really stretch out on Geri's album. "The Life of a Song" is truly marvelous music making. The group has incredible syenrgy and they have an wonderful grasp of MUSIC in all of its incarnations. Whether it be harmonic texturing or a knowledge of when percussive piano will have the desired impact these folks know what they're doing and we are the richer for it.

I've owned this one since just after it was released and have enjoyed it often. I shared that in our discoveries thread awhile back. I bought the CD and not the SACD and it sounds marvelous as well.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3262
Now John it's time to try Trio (ECM 1891), Manu Katche "Neighborhood", and Tomasz Stanko "Suspended Night".

Three wonderful cd's. Trio is Stanko's band. They are absolutely fantastic. These are all ECM records and have the trademark ECM sound. Some folks like it and some folks don't, but the music making is beyond reproach. Enjoy the music.

Silver Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 921
Yes indeed Art, thanks for these recommendations. I still find it hard to believe that a musician with Geri Allen's talent was completely unknown to me until I heard the Lloyd album recently.

My favorite on Ms. Allen's album is the title track, not only for the music, but also for her rhetorical question raised in the liner notes: "Does the note or the song end after it's not audible to us anymore?"

Another high point is the group's sensitive take on Billy Strayhorn's "Lush Life." This sent me back to re-discover an old album of mine: Lush Life--The Billy Strayhorn Songbook. This is a wonderful collection of his music recorded by various artists which spans three and a half decades.

Silver Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 926
Thanks for the new ones Art. I saw Manu Katche when he toured with Sting on his "Brand New Day" tour.

I will check out at least one of the three.

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1395
John S and Art: Sigh. Sorry, fellas, but I just can't agree with your assessments that Geri Allen is "special." I've auditioned everything I can on Amazon - and find that, while she is an accomplished musician, she tends to "stir the pot" round and round and to seldom really fly. To each his own, as y'all say, but when comparing Ms. Allen with Keith Jarrett on his, say, "The Out of Towners" CD - well, no contest! It's Jarrett 10 and Ms. Allen 3.

Well, that should start some sparks - I'm putting on my old flak jacket!

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1396
Art: To add one thing, please. You are quite correct in your assessments of the drum and bass performances on "Life of a Song." Without those two gentlemen the album would go nowhere - I M H O.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3265
Hey Larry that's ok. If we all liked the same music it would be a pretty boring world. I enjoy Geri and her inquisitive playing. She inquires with intent and for me it's lovely. I have the Jarrett album of which you speak and also find it very pleasing.

John, of the three it really depends what you like which (if any) will suit your fancy the most. I LOVE the trumpet and Tomasz is the best I've ever seen live (and I've seen Marsalis, Nicholas Payton, and a whole host of other great trumpeters). His band Trio have an incredible grasp of the subtleties of the art. Their album is one to be listened to late at night when all the world is quiet. Manu has a bit more of a groove but also subtle in many ways. Tomasz as well as Jan Garbarek join Stanko's truncated band (minus the drummer obviously). Good stuff.

Silver Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 929
Yeah Larry, that is OK. I'm certainly not going to debate Jarrett/Allen. It's great they're both around.

I've auditioned everything I can on Amazon -

I'm not sure how one can pass judgement after hearing less than one minute of each song.

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1399
John S. - yes, sir - you are quite correct that it is perhaps unfair of me to "judge" a performer based on bits and pieces. But in the past I've bought CDs based on others' suggestions, and have just given them away in frustration. So - in my el-cheapo way, I tend to go both with the audio snippets and the reviews on Amazon. Also Gramophon Magazine, whenever possible. Unlike many of you, I tend to agree more than disagree with their reviews.

Art:I like that - the "inquisitive playing," I mean. Never thought of it just that way, but you are right. Obviously a more intuitive listener than I am, sir! And I think perhaps that goes to the heart of my frustration with Ms. Allen - she never resolves her inquisitiveness, just keeps on "asking." Jarrett, on the other hand, resolves, then goes on to solve another audio-puzzle. I consider Ms. Allen a good pianist, but Jarrett a genius. In both classical and jazz genres, BTW. IMHO, as always, gents. . .

Also, Art - hey, my friend, are there ANY albums that you do not have? (double grin)

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3266
I haven't bought "Radiance" yet...lol!

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1400
Art: Uh, hint, hint. . .if you look UNDER the rack where the CDs are stored - you might just find Radiance there. I think you dropped it when you were sorting. . .
(GRIN)

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3267
LOL....

I have over 1500 titles on CD (hundreds of titles have multiple discs) and over 400 titles on DVD. So in other words I have a long way to go.......

I guess I have about 750 classical titles, 500 jazz and 250 which vary from Celtic to country, Japanese drums to reggae, blues, soul, funk, gospel, Ry Cooder (his own genre) and on and on. I love music. I have a list of at least 1000 more to buy (someday)

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1401
Art: All I can say, sir, is "Wow!"

But then I remember, way back in 1998 when Mer and I decided to "chuck it" and sail away. . .I gave about 700 CDs to the library in Colorado. Then, once we got here to Swampville, I cleaned house again, and gave away another 150 - stuff that I just no longer cared about or listened to. Sigh. Don't really miss any of them - have about 300 left, and getting three or four new ones a month.

But, of course, I'll never catch up to you - and not really sure I want to. The older I get the more focused I get, and that means that my former wide-ranging tastes are more constrained. If that makes any sense. . .

So many of the CDs I gave away I had obtained for "extremely low cost" back when I slaved in radio-TV land. Most of the "goners" were early-release CDs, and thus rather harsh and tinny. Again - I do not miss them.

Got two "yummy" Mozart offerings coming in next week. Will review on the "Discoveries" thread in the Music section of the Forum.

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1403
Hey! That's THIS thread! Sorry - forgot where I was. Sigh. 70 is no fun. . . .

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3270
I've sold hundreds of rock discs (which I regret). The collection I currently have started about 5 yrs ago. The DVD collection started last year.

I buy most of my classical discs from a locally owned place in Eugene called "The Musique Gourmet". It's a one man operation owned by Don Lamben. Unbelievable classical selection and wonderful prices. He runs a newsletter sale every month to his regulars. He is the local classical recordings authority and keeps current and past editions of the Penguin and Gramaphone in his library for use by his customers.

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1406
Art: My, how I envy you! As I've posted before, Barnes and Noble is as good as it gets here in Swampville - and dat ain' too good! Sigh.

We are thinking seriously about moving up to the Charlotte, NC, area next year - and I understand that Charlotte has some good CD emporiums. But that's a year or more away - if we even move - and so I continue with Amazon, ArkivMusic, etc. Online.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2598
Send unwanted Rock to Nuck@yaddayadda

Silver Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 936
Any unwanted jazz/classical to john@adonnadonna. (grin)

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1411
John S. - Aww, you wouldn't want old "used" CDs, would you? Good grief! Think of your Image, man! sorta like buying a suit at a Thrift shop? (double grin)

OK - will keep you in mind. . .

Silver Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 937
Larry if the suit fits, I'd wear it.
lol

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1413
John S. - good one, sir. Like it. . .(grin)

Gold Member

Post Number: 2633
John, more than one fantastic musician has shown up in a cast-off suit.
T-Bone was known for his uhh... eclectic choices of livery.
BB King wore more used suits than T-Bone.

Who knows who's suit you wear.The time and memories may linger on, the magic is happily passed from ont to another.
That's the beauty of a second owner of clothing and music.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 3297
Larry

Happy Birthday!

Now use this day (tomorrow I believe) to go and buy some new music for that fabulous new player of yours.

Salud!

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1422
Art: Thank you, sir! Actually, I think I WILL order up some more music!
And the player is, uh, "playing." Has been most of the night and morning. Don't really know if it needs to be "broken in," but I'm doing it, anyway! (grin)

My Amazon "wish list" calls - so I may have some new tunes to post here in a couple of weeks. . .right now I'm playing Paul Desmond Live - a re-mastered disc from the mid-70s Toronto sessions. Just wonderful! And Ed Bickert on guitar is perhaps one of the most amazing musicians I've heard in quite some time! A recommended disc, fer shore!

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1433
Don RX-1, et al - got some new "tunes" from Amazon today - including a wonderful 2-disc album of Mozart Piano Trios.

Interesting - it is performed by a Canadian group - the Gryphon Trio. And my, how they do meld and weave and trade off - and give me a performance that is at once peaceful and challenging. Highly recommend this two-disc set on the Analekta label, number AN 2 9827-8. Very good recording, and the interpretations are "right on!" Top stars for this.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2759
Larry, the Gryphon trio got named by playing the Gryphon theatre in TO(the big smoke).
A live rec came out of there a while back, I look.
Other bands out of the 'griff' include Holly Cole Trio, Status Quo, Gov't Mule(odd), and various members of April Wine.

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1438
Nuck: Never heard that - always read that the trio got its name from the mythic Gryphon, guardian of treasure. Never heard or read anything about their Gryphon Theatre background - maybe you can steer me to an info site?

At any rate - they're very good, and I look around for more of their CDs!

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1441
Opera - don't cringe! Very good PBS salute to out-going Met president Joe Volpe tonight. I was especially drawn to one of my heart-throbs - Natalie Dessay. Too bad - after her second throat operation last fall, well, her "highest" notes are now strained. She looked tense as she sang. Do not look for any more CDs of Ms. Dessay singing stratospheric notes.

Second - ah, yes! My real first music-love, Dame Kiri Te Kanawa was on stage - and looking just great, especially for 62 years of age! Her voice is still clear, and her enunciation near-perfect. An absolute joy to hear her! Wish she'd make another CD!

That's it - just ruminating about musicians I hold very dear to my heart. . .

Username: Kingkol13

Portland, Oregon Us

Post Number: 1
http://www.myspace.com/iisbrutus

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1473
2C et al - got two more CDs from Amazon today - and will review them tomorrow.
I hope this thread now stays clean, so we may give-and-take about music, not trash!

Gold Member

Post Number: 2953
Still hanging in there, Larry.
Just checking the clean spots.
I take it Mer was not amused with the trash?

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1476
Nuck: Mer was not amused - but after living with a news correspondent for a quarter century, she's used to all sorts of "sordid" tales and images. . .

As to the music: Ah! First CD is "Bouncing with Bud and Phil" - recorded in 2004 when one was 79, the other 73. Yep! This "album" simply sizzles with style and verve - and the two alto-honkers sound like they were about thirty years younger than they are!
I heartily recommend this Capri Records disc if you like great rhythm and melody lines that weave in and out effortlessly.

Second disc is more esoteric: "The Modern Jazz Quartet & Jimmy Giuffre - complete recordings."

This disc is actually divided into parts - the first part with Giuffre and the MJQ sort of "noodling about," and going nowhere in particular, but having a good, relaxing time doing it.

Part 2 is Jimmy GiuffreTrio and MJQ - and the tempo gets "upped" a bit here.

Part 3 the Jimmy Giuffre All Stars - and the stops are pulled way out on this section. Sounds a bit "dated," but these guyz lay it down in a consistent manner that keeps toes tapping.

Part 4 The MJQ by itself (themselves?) Here we get back to the traditional MJQ sound for three numbers, and MJQ-lovers will quickly get in their groove. Many people claim that the MJQ just plays 500 songs the same way - and it might appear to be that way, but the stylistic approach of this group is well-known, and you either embrace it, or move on to more "active" jazz.

Two new CDs - quite different. I give the Bud and Phil CD a 10 all-round. The Giuffre/MJQ disc is good for late-night listening, but presents several problems involving tempo and interest-holding - thus I give it only a 7. IMHO, as always, gentz!

Respectfully. . .LarryR

Gold Member

Post Number: 2963
Thanks, Larry.
You have listened all the way through and presented a voice of experience, with no doubt.

I just cannot get my head around the whole jazz.
Perhaps, when my system gets better, and I can listen properly(or as I age even more), I will mature enough to appreciate the sessions you have reviewed.I fear the years may not add maturity.

Thanks for sharing.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2964
On the other hand, Larry, may I ask a bit of advise?
A lot of jazz fans here, yourself one of the most experienced.
I want to really enjoy my foray into jazz, and I think the best entry might be with a great drummer.I am a (sic) drummer, at least a fan, I think Kruppa played with a couple of bands.

Could you direct me to a drum-oriented recording to sample the wares?
Vocals are OK too, but I just cannot do scat.
Yes, I think a good drum and bass-line rec would be a good place to start.

Thanks in advance.

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1479
Nuck: Whoa, there! I'm no expert - just old. Thus have listened to a lot. . .

On drummers - I would not begin to recommend any disc(s) for you.

2C or Don RX-1 should come to your rescue, please?!

Gold Member
Username: Rick_b

Orlando, FL

Post Number: 1373
Hello music lovers!

If you are a lover of Mozart's violin compositions, and a fan of Anne-Sophie Mutter, you should run to music shop and get the 2 CD Deutsche Grammophon recordings of The Violin Concertos and Sinfonia concertante. Her playing is inspired, and the recording is outstanding. She is accompanied by the London Philharmonic Orchestra.

Another CD worth adding to your collection is the Haydn Six Sonatas for Violin and Viola Hob. VI:1-6 featuring Vilmos Szabadi and Peter Barsony. It is on the Hungaroton Records Ltd. label. A brilliant performance, and a super recording.

Peace, good health, and musical joy to all.

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1480
Rick: Thanks for the posting - I'm especially interested in the Haydn works - don't have or know much of them. And the label is a mystery to me - probably better than mass-market labels? Will look it up.

Not a big fan of Anne-Sophie, and even less of a fan of DG records - BUT - I'll try to audition somewhere, anyway. The London boys can do no wrong in my estimation. . .

Silver Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 973
Larry, I've been listening to the MJQ/Giuffre disc this morning and I agree with your review. I like the first section maybe better than you, especially the fugue, but your comments are well taken on this disc. "Dated" maybe, but hey this music is fifty years old. I have a friend who eats this kind of stuff up and who happens to love jazz vibes. He's a big fan of the MJQ, of course. I'm going to give this one to him....he'll love it.

At least you gotta admit, Anne-Sophie is easy on the eyes.

Gold Member

Orlando, FL

Post Number: 1374
Larry, I'm a huge fan of Haydn. You have to remember, he is the father of the string quartet.

As to Anne-Sophie, I will admit she is no Pinchas Zuckerman, but like JOHN S said.........

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1481
John S - U R right, sir - I like the fugue in section 1 as well as you did - just seemed as though the other two pieces went, uh, "nowhere."

Did not mean "dated" in a pejorative sense - just the sound gives away the time frame in which the disc was originally recorded. Back when I was in my 20s! (talk about depressing! - grin)

And yes, AS is one of the new breed of classical soloists - I believe one prominent reviewer calls them "classical chicks" or classical babes - something like that. She is just a tad too "stiff" in her performances for me - personal opinion only, gentz, please!

Mer loves the MJQ - and we have I think 8 or 9 of their CDs - played quite often.

Rick: I, too, revere the good Mr. Haydn, and as Mer and I delve more and more into chamber music, his shadow looms larger over us. Thanks again for the link. I was not able to audition the violin/viola disc, but did manage to wrangle a disc of violin/cello music out of the Amazon lineup. Nice!
Violin/viola might be a bit single-range for me - the cello adds wonderful, deep tones that balance the violin's high frequencies. I'll still try to find a place to hear a snippet, though. . .

Now - back to Phil and Bud - these "geezers" make me happy! (probably because I'm not to far behind them in years?)

respectfully. . .LarryR

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 4258
Hungaroton is an excellent record label, Larry.

Whilst in the US, once, I bought the Bartok Qt Beethoven middle quartets on Hungaroton LP. Now re-issued on CD. Excellent, and at budget price.

We discussed Mahler symphonies a while back. There is a tremendous complete set by the LPO with Klaus Tennstedt, recently issued as an EMI budget CD box. I've played Nos 1-3. 1 is an ADD CD of a 1977 recording in Abbey Road Studio 1. What a sound, and performance. More recent DDD recordings I have do not hold a candle. I have not heard SFSO with MTT, as 2c advocates, but it seems to me it would be difficult to beat the EMI CD box where you get the whole lot (10 symphonies) for not a lot more than the price of just one SACD, and just wonderful sound quality.

I keep resolving to get some more Haydn, Rick, especially after hearing a bit of the Nelson Mass, recently, on the radio. Thanks for the prompt. Anne-Sophie Mutter does not do it for me, personally. Give me Victoria Mullova any day. Her Bach partitas on Philips is one of a number of recordings I've had for a long time which sound altogether more fresh and engaging, full of interest, when I re-listen on my new stereo system.

Gold Member

Orlando, FL

Post Number: 1376
Thank you John, I'll give a listen to Ms. Mullova. Good to hear from you. Cheers!

Gold Member

Post Number: 2968
John, all apologies, I missed your new stereo system.
Could you restate it?
And your favorite parts, please?

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1483
John A - yes, Ms. Mullova is full of passion and has a wealth of variety in her interpretations. Also Rachal Barton and a young violinist whose name keeps escaping me - Leila Josephowicz I "think" it's spelled. She did a Tchaikovsky violin concerto that is steeped in color and verve.

So many violinists out there - and so many unsung ones! Joshua Bell I like very much, though I think he's beginning to "coast" a bit on his latest recordings. Gone is his immediacy and fire. Hope he gets it back, for his technique is flawless, IMHO. Same thing is happening to him as is happeing to cellist Yo Yo Ma - going "pop" has weakened his classical strengths, and it becomes rather obvious that he, too, "coasts" a lot. But then - he's rich and can afford neutral gear. (grin)

John - thanks for the Mahler reference - I shall look it up to see other reviews, if any.

The Cambridge Audio player continues to perform flawlessly - and I'm rather amazed that such a "cheap" unit is able to create such fine sound. Oh, I'm sure it couldn't hold a candle to the $2,000 units, but then I couldn't afford them, anyway. . .

Respectfully. . .LarryR

Gold Member

Post Number: 2973
Don't bet on it Larry.
2 dealers I talked to lately proffered th Cambridge as the best unit period.
And not price considered!
2 different dealers in 2 cities.
That baby is top dog.

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 4262
Nuck,

When I say "new" I mean acquired over the last 18 months. Click my name in the left margin to see the profile. The refurbished Quad ESL 63 speakers were the single biggest step. I then got a new tube amp (Prologue Two), and, more recently, CD player (Rega Apollo). The whole is greater that the sum of its parts. I listen to old, familar things, and feel for the first time I can reach out and touch the musicians.

Which, at least in the case of Miss Mullova, can be distracting.

Rick, Cheers!

I had in mind especially The Bach E Minor partita; especially the Chaconne. It goes on and on - like, well, like.... (lost for words suitable for a public forum). Total music. Just one instrument; one player. The pure coincidence of passion and intelligence. Completely incredible. But all the Bach partitas for solo violin the absolute tops. How did he see so deeply into music?

The recording I mentioned: Partitas for Violin Solo.

Yes, there are many superb violinists around these days, Larry. I agree about Mr Bell.

I actually saw Miss Josephowicz perform the Mendelssohn concerto last summer.

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 4263
Correction. It is in D minor. BWV 1004.

Solo Violin Partita No. 2 (Bach)

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1485
John A - lucky you to have seen/heard Ms. Josefowics (correct spelling - I had to check) in concert. I've heard her twice - once with the Tchaikovsky. At that time I marveled at both her warm tone and her on-the-mark pitch. As I have excellent relative pitch, that matters a ton to me! Here's a snippet of why she might sound so good. . .
- - - - - - - -
Leila Bronia Josefowicz was born in Toronto on October 20, 1977 to an intellectual Polish-English family. Her mother Wendy is a geneticist and her father Jack is a physicist. The family moved to California while Leila was a toddler, and Leila has rarely been back to Canada, though she keeps in touch with her Ontario relatives.

When Josefowicz started studying Suzuki violin at the age of three and a half, it was discovered she had perfect pitch and a passion for the instrument. At five she started formal lessons
- - - - - - -
perfect pitch, as you know, can be either a blessing or a curse. Imagine a concert where all the violins are 1/8 note off! I have a friend who has to leave under such circumstances - it's too painful for her.

I wish the best for this young lady, who seems genuine, hard-working and, well, pretty darned attractive! (I know, I know - a sexist remark. sigh)

After our previous comments on her, I had to go find my CD of her Tchaikovsky violin concerto. It was just as clean and clear now as I remember her playing years ago.

Nuck: thanks for the Cambridge 2nd-hand review! I'm waiting for more reviews - but I've yet to hear anything really negative about the unit's performance. Mer and I do give it a workout!

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 4265
Thanks, Larry.

Phew. So Miss J. was born in the month when Tennstedt and the LPO were recording Mahler 1 in Abbey Road. And just look at her, now.

(Cue Maurice Chevalier's song "Thank heavens...." from "Gigi").

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1492
John A - "time lines" have always fascinated me. Something they never taught us in history classes. So, if war is going on in Belgium, and a genius is discovering a malaria vaccine in France, and England has just discovered digital sound - - -you get the idea. I love to "connect the dots." thanks for your posting on Miss J and Mr. Tennstedt - interesting!

Mer says we have enough in the piggy to allow a "smallish" CD purchase - so I'll try to stay within budget guidelines - and will post reviews here.

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 4266
I agree, Larry. Getting the old Zeitgeist sorted out. Old Haydn lived in interesting times, for example. Like Shostakovich, and John Lennon. Musical tastes change with political upheavals, I am sure. No, no-one ever made these connections for me, either. Perhaps I wasn't paying attention. Hey, if by chance you do not already know the Bach Partitas.....

There is a very nice BBC radio programme called "this week's composer" which makes some of these links. It is on every weekday. Unfortunately at midday and midnight, both impossible under normal circumstances, for me. Last time I caught it they had a week on Aaron Copland. Many of his compositions had a political agenda, I learned. Jan has remarked on "Fanfare for the common man". That gets me every time. Also "Appalacian Spring".

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1493
John A - am looking into the partitas - thought I had some, but apparently I do not. It was music for unaccompanied cello with Rostropovich - also excellent, BTW.

Ah, yes - the good, if gone, Mr. Copland. I was fortunate to spend a day and a half with him in the early 80s - he, in Chicago for some Master Classes. He left an indelible impression on me, to say the least. I had to cheat a bit at my job to take out the extra time - but it was worth it! We still have the fine inscription he wrote to Mer: "To Merri - a fellow music lover." She values it highly, needless to say.
A man of complex personality and habits - but when he sat you down with a score, oh, my, how we suddenly understood music on a much higher level.
We hit it off because I told him I played the clarinet, and he wondered if I'd played the concerto he wrote for Benny Goodman. No, I said - I'm not good enough! (which is true)
Wish I'd heard the BBC program on him. . .

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 4267
Thanks, Larry. Wonderful.

I can't find the audio-on-demand, probably they can't do it for copyright reasons, but here is the web page and playlist:

Aaron Copland (1900-1990)

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1496
Thanks, John - good try, old chap! I appreciate. . .

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 4271
My pleasure, Larry.

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 4344
Victoria Mullova's Bach Partitas are reissued with the violin concerti on a double CD set at mid-price. 455 7451/2 Philips. Fabulous. All of it. Recording, too.

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 4375
R.I.P. Lorraine Hunt Lieberson, superb mezzo-soprano.

Larry and 2c recommended her recordings on this thread a while back.

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1533
Thanks for caring, John. . .

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 4394
She had a fabulous voice, Larry.

I believe you and 2c introduced us, here.

52. Tragic.

All the best.

Silver Member
Username: Prischihuas

CHIHUAHUA MEXICO

Post Number: 188
The Story lyrics
All of these lines across my face
Tell you the story of who I am
So many stories of where I've been
And how I got to where I am
But these stories don't mean anything