Archive through August 22, 2004

Silver Member
Username: Myrantz

Post Number: 500
Thanx guys.

John, if you look hard you can see the little fan on top of the 7300. It is winter here and there's no need to have it on. I know the center speaker placement is not ideal. It was aligned with the mains when sitting on the older RP TV. But, with its situation now the sound timbre difference is very negible and the WAF is taken into account.

Gold Member
Username: John_a

Post Number: 1971
MR,

Yes, I see the fan. Nice-looking system; it means business. I can't see what else you can do with a center speaker. Apart from imaging and all the discussions we have had, a center speaker really ought to be on-axis with the center of the TV. In that case it either obscures the picture, or the TV muffles its sound. I wonder what the inventors of 5.1 thought you should do with it! I still have the turntable habit of trying to keep the electronics as far from the speakers as possible, so I cannot really get my system all in one frame, unless I take the ceiling off. It is a pleasure to see that Mrs Rantz is happy with covers off speakers, also that Ghia seems to have no problem with that.

Silver Member

Post Number: 502
John A

The covers only come off for serious music listening! Glad you knew what negible meant - I can't believe I was that negligent - what the eyes don't see sometimes!

BTW: nice of you not to comment on the obvious latest excess. The PDP is excellent, but was not supposed to happen for another year or so - it's appearance now is a long story. Anyway, we are well and truly done, there is no more money for anything audio or video (with the exception of software of course). Bit sad really, though now there's nothing left to consider except the enjoyment - for many, many years I hope.

I await images from yourself and Kegger! Don't worry about getting it in one frame. Cheers!

Silver Member
Username: Ghiacabriolet

NC

Post Number: 233
JohnA,

Thanks for the tip! It never would have occurred to me to turn my speakers "upside down" and I was skeptical it would make a difference. Surprise! It did. It sounds "tighter"...perhaps that means improved imaging?

MR,

Nice setup! What kind of speakers/sub do you have? BTW, I picked up the Doobies Capt & Me based on your recommendation. I'm starting to see a trend....highly recommended DVD-A's jinx my Denon. Like the Beck DVD-A, this one plays the first track and then starts spinning and causing hard vibrations in the Denon. Guess, I'll have to take it back for exchange. The replacement Beck disc works great so hopefully, this will be the case with the Doobies too.

Also picked up Eagles "Hotel California" and REM "Best of" DVD-A's. Eagles sounds pretty good, especially the title track. Haven't listened to REM yet.

Right now, listening to a stream of Tift Merritt's new cd "Tambourine". Sounds great, so far! Has a cool retro, rock & soul sound.

Silver Member

NC

Post Number: 235
Move over Loretta, Tift is in the house! Looks like this may be my favorite release of 2004! Tift Merritt is awesome! If you like a good rock & soul, R&B or whatever you want to call it, this is right up your alley.

Yesterday, I bought her first cd "Bramble Rose" because the new one hasn't been released yet. It is alt-country in the vein of Gram Parsons/Emmylou Harris. Recommended if you like that style of music.

But, the new one "Tambourine" is a major departure. Definitely more rocking and soulful. If I were making a Tift Martini, I'd start with a little Dusty Springfield, mix in some Carole King, add a drop of Emmylou and Wilson Pickett and a twist of Tom Petty and serve up in a glass rimmed in Muscle Shoals.

Tift Merritt

Silver Member

Post Number: 503
Ghia

Sorry to hear that the "The Captain And Me" was problematic on your 2200. I had precisely the same thing happen with an old (but new rental release) of a Dudley Moore DVD movie called "Crazy People." It must be a software glitch which ony effects some players. Hopefully, a replacement DVD-A will remedy your problem, because TCAM is a great recording (IMO).

BTW: I like the color matching of your MA's to your cabinet! Also, what is that unit sitting in the bottom of your cabinet?

The speakers in our set-up are as follows:

Mains - JBL XTi60's, these are 3 way, Danish made with French made drivers. Even though these are really floorstanders, I have them on stands because of the close proximity of a sofa on one side of the room.

Center - B&W LCR6 series 2, I think it would be difficult to find a better center for the money (@75% of retail).

Rears - JBL S3611's, wall mounts.

Sub - Richter Krakatoa (Aussie made) - only 100 watts, 10in driver, but very powerful and accurate. double front ports.

Tiff Merrit has a great voice. I listened to a couple of tracks from her website, but a bit too country for me - I'll look out for 'Tambourine" as what you described sounds more like my flavour.

Silver Member

NC

Post Number: 236
MR,

The speakers are a Rosewood Mahogany while the cabinet is a cherry finish. The speakers are actually a little bit darker but they seem to complement the cabinet. More importantly, they sound great!

That bottom unit is my old Toshiba DVD player. I'm using it to provide "height" to the Monster Power Center to help hide all the power cables coming in the back of the cabinet. lol.

The new Tift Merritt cd has a couple of songs with a little bit of a country sound but it is more a rock and soul record. I'm currently getting the streams saved via a neat little utility called Wiretap. I can rip you some MP3 samples if you'd like to hear it. Can you receive files via email?

Silver Member

Post Number: 505
Ghia,

"More importantly, they sound great!" - I bet they do, those MA's have a great rep.

Thanks but don't worry about sending the MP3 samples. When I see the release in my local record shop, I'll give it a good listen.

I hope there's not too many flawed discs around that affect these Denon players, but I think most brands suffer similar problems. I recall some discs just refused to play or were problematic on our Luxman and Yamaha DVD players where they had no problems played on other machines.

Also, I just read about the new Denon DVD-3910. A bit dearer than the 2900, but what a machine - see news item August 12 at http://www.homecinemachoice.com for info if interested.

Silver Member

NC

Post Number: 238
That Denon looks like a monster! Thanks for the link!

I've listened to Tambourine driving in the car today and it is still highly recommended. It's a good driving record.

Gold Member
Username: Kegger

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 1214
ok my area is not clean nor anywhere near finished but
here is some pic's!

this is as wide a front shot as i can get.

Upload

Gold Member

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 1215
hear the main used components and the se-40 amp.

Upload

Gold Member

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 1216
my listening/viewing area.

Upload

Gold Member

Post Number: 1987
Kegger, Great. This guy is serious about sound. Love the tube pre-amp. Is that THREE center speakers...? Man, you've just got to get a nice turntable....

What revelations. I am willing to contribute, my main embarrassment being our TVs (old and ugly 3:2 Sony Trinitron CRTs).

I think we can begin to calibrate the WAF scale, already, using Ghia's and Kegger's set-ups as full-scale and zero, respectively....

Re speakers I would put some soft, wall-hanging material behind the mains (MR; Ghia) to cut down reflections. Especially from that bare brick wall, MR, though I grant that it looks nice as it is. Kegger will not have a problem with reflections, but those enclosures may cause some problems. Then, in all three cases, I would rotate the main speakers about the vertical axis, at least 30º in, so that their horizontal axes (from the front) intersect just in front of the listener. I am pretty sure all three set-ups will give better stereo positioning and imaging that way. Also, you will get better high frequencies, probably. As they stand, you are all most likely listening some way off the tweeter axis, and the frequency response falls off sharply with angle between that and the line to the listener. It is not a big operation to rotate the speakers, and easily reversed if you do not like it. I do not know what speakers pointing in does to the WAFactor. Perhaps they look less neat. That will tend to have less impact in Kegger's set-up, I feel....

This is intrusive, sorry, but you guys are presumably asking for comments! I shall see what I can do to provide you with an opportunity for return criticism. I note J. Vigne has not contributed to this thread. I would be interested to know his views.

Silver Member

Post Number: 522
Kegger,

Wow - a regular audio studio. Very serious indeed. There would be some great sounds emanating from there. And from the audio gear also :-)

Those valves should be glowing! Come on - turn it up my man! Great stuff.

John A,

You may have noticed but our mains are turned in. It is a compromise however: Home theartre set-up tips suggest to have mains facing directly forward for more than one listener and inward for one (?). For audio only, I agree, facing in is preferable for me. However, I prefer the intersection a few feet behind. The brick walls seem to create no real problem, but I have not tried hanging heavy material - and nor will I. It is all compromise to the extent that our system does sound very good to us under all audio formats - could it be better: quite possibly. But if it did not please - and our decor would need to suffer then suffer it would. And your suggestions are not intrusive at all. But we are waiting :-)

Silver Member
Username: Sem

New York USA

Post Number: 216
I'm impressed with everyone's setup to say the least. John A. good idea about the soft material behind the mains, if fact I need to do that as well. The only other comment I would add is the Labatts placement: move them to the side so as not to cause sonic deflections but also, there's not nearly enough of them. :-)

Gold Member

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 1218
john cmon buddy give me some credit would yu.

at least ask me!

yes the speakers are turned in to just in front of
"my" listening position.

and they are not inside the speaker cutout in the
entertainment center.
the cutouts are just for looks. the speakers are pulled out from there.

RANTZ i'm just as upset as you. i tried taking pic's with no lights on.
but got no picture just black. so when you turn the lights on.
whala no glowing tubes.

trust me there on!

did you guys see the blue light in front of the amp?
that's my little touch, it was green!

and john that's my klipsch rc-7 center on top "angled down of course"
http://www.klipsch.com/product/product.aspx?cid=365&section=specs
then the other one underneath the tv is the second klipsch center.
that only comes on when serious movie viewing needs it.
then a second set of front speakers are added also.

the third speaker which i guess could look like a
center is my front sub.
there are others off to the sides and behind.

right now i am in bulding and tweaking mode. otherwise
that part of the basement is usually kept nice.

Gold Member

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 1219
also in case anyone was wondering.

the big jbl towers are modified to match the timbre
of the klipsch center "the big one".

the jbl's have the same tweeter as the center "very slightly horn loaded"
new mids and the xover has been redone to do the rest of the matching.

and quite frankly i am very proud of my handy work.
from the outside you can't tell their modded but
on the inside some very exstensive cabinet and xover work.

sometimes i'm shocked and amazed at the sound they reproduce.
they go down to about 35hz flat and reach out to over 20k
with those klipsch tweeters. and the sens is about 92db "just right for tubes" whoohoo

Username: Guesswho42

Around here

Post Number: 9
I stand corrected. Nice setup Kegger. I guess you do know what your doing.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1989
Sorry, Kegger, I was blinded by all the gear! I should have known you better! Yes, the front sub also had me fooled.

Mr Rantz,

Ok, we have an issue, here! It is all to do with phasing, and I have bored the pants off everyone, before, with that. I do not buy the "home theater set-up tips". For stereo, anyone listening needs to be at the apex of the triangle with the speakers at the other corners, and pointing straight at the listener. That is the ideal, but there is only one listening spot and you are not allowed to move your head. A good alternative, and one which allows multiple listeners, is to bring that apex forward, so it is in front of each listener, which means the speakers are angled in even more. You can actually have them pointing in at 45 º and then there are a whole load of places to sit and still get good imaging. Even more at 60 º, but you may then begin to notice the high frquency tail-off because you may be getting seriously off-axis with the tweeters. You'll still get good imaging, though, and over a large area.

For HT, I think we may, finally, have found the reason for the center channel- that is, people cannot focus on the virtual center, because they have their speakers forward-facing, and are sitting inside the stereo triangle, so the center is not in focus. So they need that darned center speaker.

I have taken a few snaps and will see if I can upload them later.

I fully understand about that nice brick wall. It was also generous of you not to say "mind you own flamin' business"!

Maybe the Lone Ranger will show up to rescue me from this tight spot I have got myself into. If he turns the silver bullets on me, I am out-gunned, and may just wave a white flag.

Gold Member

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 1221
JOHN I'm sure you took it that way. but my response
to your was not a scold but mearly to let you know
the pictures don't quite grasp the angles.

and while i agree on the speakers being toed in.
if you have read many speaker manufacters they will
tell you best placement for imaging and some by design
work better straight forward.and some speakers just
plain image better than others and don't need to be toed in
or at least not as far as others.

so experimentation is the best suggestion. i've moved
mine all around to find what is best for mine.

but generally toed in somewhat is the preferred way! "for stereo imaging"

Silver Member

Post Number: 523
John A

Mind your own flamin' business!

He he ha ha ho ho!

There's no issue here at all my fastidious friend! I understand what you are saying (and have read your phasing articles) and agree with the exception that speakers need to point directly at (or in front of) the listener. You are theorizing ideals and I accept that, but real world conditions apply. We have 2 listening positions (a)SERIOUS LISTENING: the sofa directly in front of A/V gear and (b) HAPPY HOUR(S): sitting at the bar to the rear and other side of the room (cd's only).

The compromise works well for both listening areas and my laziness (moving speakers). And the bar position usually requires much less accuracy anyway as time goes on.

I have had the main speakers facing directly forward and still found the imaging very good and with virtual center very much in focus. I find having the apex just behind me at triangle center works just fine also. Next week it could be elsewhere, who knows, I may experiment some more.

Call upon the masked man if you like, but I don't listen with his ears.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1992
Thanks, guys. Yes, MR, the sweet spot gets bigger after a few drinks, no question.

What sort of exhibitionists post photos of their stuff on the internet...?

Well, here is the stereo-only room 2, complete with Gordon Setter. Those speakers are located for "serious" listening (you sit at the corner of the triangle) as well as lounging back, viewing the 12" Sony TV (about 1988) through binoculars. Speakers, KEF Corelli, 1980, on stands; plus unbranded ("Made in Denmark") behind TV, just for testing. DVD/CD player NAD T532, 2002. Power amp Sony, 1992. Cat litter, 2004. Flimsy chipboard cabinet will have to go.

Note, no pre-amp; only one input. It sounds great. If I add tube amp and/or SACD, it will probably be to this system.
Upload

Gold Member

Post Number: 1993
Here is room 1, taken standing over the sub with elbow on right surround. Mains; KEF C15 speakers ( > 63 Hz at - 3dB) angled in (see?) on Target stands full of cat litter, with matched, passive KEF C2000 subs (40 to 120 Hz at -3 dB), on floor, one per channel. KEF KHT something as center speaker, perched on top of great ugly cabinet. The best bit is the turntable, of course... Upload

Gold Member

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 1224
good looking doggie there john!

anyways nice setup.

but are those speakers high enoungh off the ground?

from the pic it looks like about 1foot.

what do you sit on a beanbag chair? lol

Gold Member

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 1225
aaoohh the second layout looks much nicer and the
speakers look quite high enough!

Gold Member

Post Number: 1994
You are quite right, Kegger. Those small stands recently came out of storage. Before, those Corellis were on the stands the surrounds are now on, much taller, much better. I will post a pic of the surrounds (they are the ones with the new tweeters). But the surround wall brackets fell off the wall. Heck, I am moving in a few months, you can only do so much. I have some stands on castors in storage, too. they are cr*p. Glad you like the dog. He can hear up to 40 kHz. I have an ultrasound whistle, he hears it, I don't.

Gold Member

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 1233
RANTZ

"French made drivers" IN THE JBL.

are probably audax one of the most widely used upper end drivers in the world.

my jbl's use them also. including the aerogel mids I put in.

excelent performing drivers for the money!

Silver Member

Post Number: 524
John A

Great thanks - two audio rooms! Both WAF and HAF! And Gordon can take his pick. Great dog. Lost our 14 yr old lab Xmas before last and still miss him. He was a great woofer!

Bet those Kef's sound good (especially that they are toed in) - how does that little center sound - is that what they call a KEF egg?

Now, for my retort, you have soft material behind one of your mains and drywall behind the other, reflections on one side perhaps?

Hang on, I'll bet the curtain is extended when listening? I'd want that auto electric.

Now back to toeing the speakers in - does the angle have any relevence to the angle of the toe-out of one ears? Would Prince Charles need to toe in his speakers with a lesser angle than Mr Blair would for example? (grinning)

Kegger

You could be right about the drivers - I don't know but they do sound good. FYI, the XT1-60's are rear ported, 6ohm, 88d sensitivity and 50hz to 27khz. The sub is 22 to 160hz.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1999
MR,

Thanks. I have some more pics, to come later. Sorry to hear about the lab. We bought the Gordon on the rebound after a female of the same breed was run over and killed, aged 7. It's tough to loose a dog. Great breed, Gordons; strong, gentle, intelligent, not highly strung (like other setters), but with incredible stamina and an insatiable appetite for exercise.

Yes, that is a KEF "Egg" in the centre. Some people have those all round. Ours sounds just fine and makes a good centre. I think the -3dB is 80 Hz, so it is "small" and a complete set would definitely need an active sub. It is amazing it goes even that low if you look at the size of it; it is made of cast aluminium and has a bass reflex port (you can see on the right). I understand they have quite a high WAF, too. The C15/SW2000 combination is irreplaceable now, I think. It was from long before active subs came into vogue.

Yes, the curtain should really run all the way across. However, the wall behind the right speaker is soft plasterboard covered with some sort of fabric wallpaper. Behind the curtain is a roll-up screen waiting for a projector. It is a much nicer room with no TV in it. Re reflections, we had bare windows behind, before the curtains. My goodness did the curtains improve the sound. No amount of money on components could have made such a difference. I think it is reflections between the speakers that really muddy the sound; they completely mess up the ideal speaker "point source", and the reflections of course are delayed so they screw up the phasing. In your room, you could experiment with just hanging a rug or similar, temporarily, to see if there is any difference. Brick may not be so bad because of the texture and the grouting.

No, I think having ears one on each side of the head is the main consideration, that is the norm, at least in the A family. I wonder if NAD considered the diversity of lug-holes when they developed EARS.

Silver Member

Post Number: 527
John A

Okay, re: the curtain remark - the joke's on me. Yes glass is a big no no for reflections I believe. Just read an article where speaker placement had to overcome large glass window as the listener did not want to lose the view. Back to our set-up, I don't think the brick is a problem. The only problem I did have in the begining of this wild adventure was a booming coming from behind the 'antique' cd cabinet caused by the sub. This was fixed with a 2" thick sheet of foam stuck behind it. I preferred this method to moving the sub elsewhere (WAF).

FYI: Bob Hodas Sound Tips - Proper Speaker Placement - http://www.audiorevolution.com/equip/howto.html

BTW - have heard a lot of good reports about those KEF eggs - not so good scrambled though!

Gold Member

Post Number: 2003
My Rantz,

From what I read here, people usually prefer them fried. Or poached.

You obviously know your stuff. Anyone who puts floor-standers on stands (even with spikes into tiles), with good reason, has a mind of his own, and is a man after my own heart. But I knew that! I find the WAF sometimes demurs at how it looks, but is quickly won over by sound quality, especially with movies.

You and Kegger are encouraging me, so a quick final tour of room 1, with minimal comment. You actually cannot photograph it all, it is all around the room. I made small Quicktime VR file of that room once, but everything has changed since then, and I do not have time to make another.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2004
Left main pair, as seen from "serious listening" position. But serious listening is in low light, or dark. KEF C15 1989 and SW2000 1991.

Upload

Gold Member

Post Number: 2005
Right surround. KEF Coda II 1982 with new tweeter 2004 (not seen). Forgotten the make of stand. Active sub, Gale 3080W, 2003.

Upload

Gold Member

Post Number: 2006
Electronics rack (flimsy cabinet, home-modified) plus part of CD, LP, DVD-A collection and various other bits and pieces.

From the top: Rega Planar 3 1979; NAD T560 2003 (was 2000 model I think); Sony something VCR about 1997; NAD T533 DVD-V/DVD-A/Cd etc player 2004; NAD 1000 stereo pre-amp (used now mostly for the phono input) 1992; Nokia digital satellite receiver about 1999; Marantz CD 475 LE CD player 1988; LPs. Left; DVD-As on top (end one is Mahler 10), supported by TFOTR bookends.

Upload

Gold Member

Post Number: 2007
Rega Planar 3 turntable 1979 with original everything. Beats the lot for sound quality. It is playing "Classics for Pleasure" Mozart horn concertos (1970). I have some later recordings of those on Pickwick-IMP CD (1987), and the LP blows them out of the water for sound quality, no question, and no matter which CD player I use. You can hear it immediately.

Upload

Gold Member

Post Number: 2009
As a diversion, here is a Bond Video Clip that is enough to make Old Dogs bark. If I post another pic of Bond, I have no doubt this thread will be archived within hours.

My Rantz, if you have a minute, see if you can help a fellow Australian who has bought a load of nice gear in UK and wonders whether it will work back home; Have I leapt before I looked?.

Gold Member

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 1240
dammit john.

i'm at work here trying to play the bond video.

real cute the piece of shyt won't connect.
after i went through the whole thing of installing
real player on a customers machine!

that's just great!

Silver Member

NC

Post Number: 239
I'm sorry, but these Bond chicks just don't do anything for me. Maybe a little 007 might do the trick....

Silver Member

NC

Post Number: 240
Kegger,

That's a heckuva a lotta equipment. Bet it sounds great! It is really cool that you do speaker modifications and build your own, too.

MR,

Sweet setup! I think I commented on it before but I'll repeat it. BTW, I'm going today to switch out the Doobies DVD-A. I'll let you know the outcome. I was able to get "Long Train Runnin'" to play and it sounded fantastic.

JohnA,

Your family room setup is impressive. 3 subs? Your equipment organization passes the WAF for me....not that I have any place to say that. lol. Love the turntable. I wish I still had a turntable and lp's.

Kegger, you inspired me with your listening area photo....stay tuned.

Silver Member

NC

Post Number: 241
Here's a pic of my SERIOUS LISTENING area. Note, the "built-in WAF" JohnA alluded to keeps me from having my chair in FRONT of the fireplace fulltime....But, when I'm settling in for SERIOUS LISTENING I move the chair from the corner in front of the bookcase to this position.

One other point....note the location of the B&W surrounds....The front corner of the speaker hangs precariously over the edge of the shelf and the rear butts directly against the wall's corner. Comments on the impact this has on sound output?? Suggestions on a smaller speaker that might match up well with the Monitor Audio fronts?

Upload

Silver Member

NC

Post Number: 242
Kegger,

Per the previously mentioned inspiration....Here's a closeup of my lstening area with preferred beverages, Coke or wine - but never together.

This pic is only slightly "staged"....There's usually cd's laying on the table and empty beverage bottles, etc....but, for this pic, I did "stage" it with Aimee Mann SACD's. lol

Upload

Silver Member

NC

Post Number: 243
JohnA,

You wrote: "What sort of exhibitionists post photos of their stuff on the internet...?"

Indeed! LOL! At least it got the Beefcake and Bond photos archived.....

Gold Member

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 1241
good looking setup ghia i was going to mention
the wine bottles before i saw the next post.

you definatley have the most beautiful setup out of all of us.

i like the looks of the layout on mr. rantz setup.

and johns looks nice and cozy "family like"

where mine looks like a party just left!

HEY no has said anything about my entertainment
center. I built that behemith myself out of 2x4's
and 3/4 inch thick mdf.
you don't get much stronger then that!

I will list components next.

Gold Member

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 1242
oh yah and the back of the entertainment center
is in another room so you can get at everything with ease.

there is also fans behind each side where the components are.

Gold Member

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 1243
ok left rack list!

top left: theta 396 dac.
just to the right on top: dared tube preamp.

next row down left: golden tube audio se-40.

top shelf of rack: rotel 3channel amp rb-993.
2nd shelf: pioneer 563a under that dbx 120a sub proc.
3rd shelf: kenwood m2a 2channel a+b 220wpc = 880watts (4 channels)
4th shelf: same as 3rd.
2nd from the bottom: hk 525 reciever.
bottom: sub plate amp in box powers front subs (2 12" rockfords).

Gold Member

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 1244
ok right rack list!

top: toshiba 32" used for OSD of hk525 plus others.

next row down right: rugue eighty-eight tube amp.

top shelf rack: tube storage.
2nd shelf: jvc vcr.
3rd shelf: technichs studio preamp. (hooks to next unit)
4th shelf: technichs studio casette deck.
2nd from the bottom: crown amp 1000watts powers 4 subs, signal from dbx proc.
bottom: xbox

center 56" widescreen hd. picture can be split in
2 which gives appoximatley 2 32" tv's plus the 32
toshiba up top gives 3 channels for all the games.

Gold Member

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 1245
speakers.

you know the fronts and center.

but when serious surround "movies" comes into play
all amps go on "house goes dim" and extra set of front
speakers comes online. jbl hls 810.

surrounds 2 sets: 1st: klipsch.
2nd: eosone dipole.

rear 2 sets: 1st: klipsch rb-35
2nd: jbl hls 810.

for music listening.

2channel: just the big jbl's
multi channel: 1 set of speakers around and 2 subs.

movies, depends on how loud you want. most of the
time same as surround music.

Gold Member

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 1246
now that is the multi/2channel room.

the other room has the strictly 2 channel setup for speaker building.

the denon 2200 is in there with a b&k preamp and
parasound amp.

the parasound amp is 5 channel so i can biamp and
power a sub.

ok except for about 6 more pairs of speakers that about does it!

Silver Member

NC

Post Number: 244
Kegger,

That list is insane! This is clearly a serious hobby for you. Great idea on the back of the entertainment being accessible from another room! That's the biggest pain in the a$$ with my rack. Of course, my "rack" is actually a bookcase. My sweetie had to get out his big drill and use a special attachment to get the holes big enough for all the cables to pass through. Pardon any double entrendes in this paragraph. ;-)

I imagine the B&K/Parasound setup sounds sweet. When I was considering separates, Parasound was the amp I was coveting. Not enough bucks.

Wouldn't it be nice to have a HD tv like yours for watching football?

Silver Member

Post Number: 529
John A

Excellent. Great pics thanks. There is music in that house! One can tell a lot about a person by their audio set-up. Very organised and neat. Kegger take note :-)

Considering its vintage that turnatable still looks top shelf (pun intended) and it obvious you take much pride in your gear and music collection (a decent looking collection btw).

I changed the spikes on those stands from 4 to 3. Three (in a triangle pattern) makes the stands easier to level, provides greater stability on the uneven slate, as well as any sonic value they help provide.

Kegger

All I can say is AWESOME! It must be thought provoking each time you intend to listen to something. Which system, speakers, etc will I use today?

Ghia

Very nice room. We almost got to see what you look like in that photo. Re your B&W surround: if it's front ported (and from memory I think it is) there should be no problem. But little stick-on rubber feet or blue-tac under the box might help if you haven't already done that. Hope that's a good Aussie wine on the table!

Silver Member

NC

Post Number: 245
JohnA,

Given some thought to your recommendation about soft hanging materials.....I believe this might be a good idea in my room. I'll replace the plastic blinds with some cloth roman shades. It occurred to me the "surround sound" I sometimes hear when playing in stereo is actually reflections. :-) Behind the front speakers, is it necessary to have the material directly behind the speakers? Or will it be beneficial to just have, say, a tapestry hanging on that wall?

MR,

The store didn't have the Doobies in stock so I switched the DVD-A out for Yo-Yo Ma's "obrigado Brazil" SACD and Talking Heads "Best Of" CD. Will pick up TCAM again this weekend if I can find it in stock.

That's Mini-Me in the photo. lol. Actually, that's the sweetest, smartest 3.5 year old in America, Mady. No bias, here, it's true. :-)

You are right, the B&W's port in the front. My main concern is that they are a little too big for the shelf they're on. So far, the cats have stayed away and when visitors are here my listening chair is in front of them so I don't think they'd get knocked off. I'd love to get a pair of MA's for the surrounds but am faced with the same sizing dilemna. Hence the inquiry on whether there are opinions on small speakers that might match up well with the MA's.

Silver Member

NC

Post Number: 246
Kegger,

That custom cabinet you built looks to be very functional. Can't say the color rocks my boat tho'! lol But, it looks sturdy and is well thought out for the equipment organization.

I sort of "built" the bookcases that house my cd collection. Actually, the bookcases were already built-in when we bought the house. But, the shelves were spaced for books and there was not enough shelf space for my cd collection. So, I took some shelving from a pantry we tore out during a kitchen remodel and used a circular saw to cut them down to fit the bookcase. I painted them and added 2 shelves to each bookcase. Plus, the shelves are now spaced to fit perfectly for cd's and my entire cd collection fits with room for about 50 more. In addition to the bookcase you see in the above photo, there's a matching one on the other side of the fireplace.

Silver Member

NC

Post Number: 247
MR,

Actually, that is an Australian Wine, Peter Lehmann.

Silver Member

NC

Post Number: 248
JohnA,

That dog is beautiful!

Gold Member

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 1260
GHIA NICE STATEMENT HEAR!

"My sweetie had to get out his big drill and use a special attachment"

allrighty then!

Gold Member

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 1261
ghia also.

"That custom cabinet you built looks to be very functional. Can't say the COLOR rocks my boat tho'! lol But, it looks sturdy and is well thought out for the equipment organization."

yah i'm still undecided of what colors i want the room and the
entertainment center. ANY IDEAS!

all the walls are done finally. except a little work behind the rack.
2 large doors give you access just to the
left side of the triangle couch.
(half the basement is walled off for this room)

all the walls are drywalled and ready for paint,
but i still need to do the ceiling.

i was experimenting with red and green and then
wanted to try a sponge treatment on the walls.
but i just can't really get the colors i want.

see the problem is when i built the entertainment
center i used blocks at all connecting pieces.
so i figure i wan't a 2 tone paint job and also
the walls to match the rack.

ghia you seem to be handy there with your rack
building/system setups and what not.
any ideas to make the place a little nicer.

Gold Member

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 1262
thanks all for the corrasponding awsomes around the board.

yes i've been collecting equipment for a long time
to put this system together. it was about 6 months
ago i got my last amp for the 7channel surround.
and about 20 years ago i got my first kenwod m2a (well built amps)
so it's been a quest.

next is the 100" projecter/screen.

anyone else with a color scheme idea?

Silver Member
Username: Wryter

Naples, FL US

Post Number: 185
Wow, guyz, I'm totally in awe of all that beautiful equipment! I asked Merri if I should post a pic or two of my gear - and she just laughed and laughed. guess it would be rather embarrassing, to say the least! Oh, well. . .
Ghia - are your B & W speakers 705s? If so, please tell me how you like them and what sort of sound they produce - well-rounded, bass-deficient, or anything that strikes you as special about them - for better or worse. Reason I ask is that I lust for a pair of 705s - but, of course, can only dream.
John A. - brings tears to my eyes seeing that turntable and those LPs - sigh - hope those movers who relieved me of my collection liked classical music! But whatta yah bet they dumped them quickly when they found out they couldn't pronounce the names on the record jackets!! GRIN
Think I'll take another look at all your gear, just to keep dreams alive.
respectfully - Larry R.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2013
Ghia,

All I can say about wall hangings is "try it and see". Cutting reflections only improves sound quality.

All,

MR nearly left us because of innuendo, but it is actually the case that our removal circa 1990 left the LP collection alone, but relieved me of my nice, big hammer-action Black and Decker power drill. It's OK, I got another one. It works just fine.

Larry, apart from the music, LPs in good condition are worth a lot these days, so those guys probably did not "lose" your LP collection out of musical interest. The cabinet in my picture has only about 20% of my LPs. The records themselves are in good nick, but some of the sleeve edges have been scratched by various darned cats.

Since my damascine experience with DVD-A earlier this year, I have gone back and compared CD with LP time and again. LP wins, every time.

Comparing LP with DVD-A is not so easy, because of the surround issue, and because only two, I think, of my DVD-As are at max resolution (96/24).

Back on "discoveries", I have said before that I have learned some new music (for me) precisely because the DVD-A catalogue is so small.

The latest is the Sibelius violin concerto. Naxos again; NOWHERE does the disc, booklet, or box state the sampling frequency. This probably means it is 44.1 kHz, same as CD. Nevertheless the sound quality is excellent. The 24 bit must make all the difference (Cd is 16 bit).

It is a good disc, full of nice stuff, and it makes me think again about music and this whole 5.1 question.

Music. I warm to Sibelius still less that to Mahler. Sibelius was a frothing-at-the-mouth nationalist and a stalwart of a well-known secret society (like Mozart). Not my sort of guy. But he wrote some stonking good orchestral stuff, full of big memorable tunes you can whistle. E.g. Finlandia and Kalelia Suite, also the symphonies. The Violin concerto is a new one on me. It is quite beautiful, tuneful, lyrical, easy to listen to. Really good. What a pleasure.

Audio. DVD-Audio, 5.1. The vln. soloist is just ace, and seems to have the whole of the centre channel to himself, playing some named Guaneri violin. Nevertheless the balance is good, and the KEF "Egg" comes up trumps: lots of fancy double-stopping, the soloist's breathing and phrasing, all extremely lifelike.

I had out my cynic's handbook, thinking "soloist in spotlight" again, and then the full orchestra comes in. Massive, snarling brass section on the right, horns as smooth as butter on the left, great thunderous percussion that would frighten the horses. And then, even with all that going on, even on fff, you can hear every single note, every single instrument. It is such a pleasure, honestly. CD just cannot do that. LP can, but only in two-channel. Do not be afraid of "classical", anyone. Just get that one as an audio test disc; I cannot imagine any rock music with so much going on, all at the same time. It is a new world in recorded sound.

Just thought you guys should know!

MR Thanks for "neat". The cabling is a total mess, actually.

All the best.

Gold Member

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 1263
larry post yur pic's!

rantz "All I can say is AWESOME! It must be thought provoking each time you
intend to listen to something. Which system, speakers, etc will I use
today?"

lately it's kinda sad with all that gear all ive been
listening to is the sacd player or cd through the dac.
into the tube preamp out to the modded se-40 tube amp
connected to the jbl's! sheez what a waste lol!

john: that sounds like one heck of a disk. I haven't
found much classical that i enjoy yet, usually not
much going on.

lately i've been listening to peter gabreil's
shaking the tree 2channel sacd. excelent collection of songs.
and a wide variety of instruements used.

theirs 4 disks i've been using lately as iv'e modded the tube amp
and changing tubes in the preamp to listen for the
changes i'm making.

peter gabriel: shaking the tree sacd.
steely dan: gaucho sacd.
phil collins: face value.
suzanne vega: 99.9 f.

i keep listening to these over and over when i make
changes, and right now i'm very happy with the progress.

I think i have a well balenced 2 channel system
in the multi room environment.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2017
Yes, Larry, post yur pics!

I am not trying to get people to listen to Sibelius; that's just how it struck me. I did not really expect to like it that much; I got it because it was DVD-A, and cheap. I liked it. There is an awful lot going on. I wish these sleeve note writers did not ram nationalism down your throat. The Grieg piano concerto DVD-A is appalling. They should be had up. Surely those composers were trying to do more than be judged for where they came from.

I am very tempted by My Rantz's recommendation of "Riding with The King", too. No-one says "Isn't it amazing someone British/American/black/white/whatever can play like that". Yet when you get to classical, and a composer or performer from a small country, no-one turns a hair when people suggest only a whatever could have written/played like that. That's a part of the whole classical scene I dislike.

Pop videos are not my scene, but I liked that "Bond" clip. Shades of 1984. Nicely done, I thought. And I don't think you are in the target audience, Ghia, it is no surprise! Though neither am I. If it were four blokes playing it would be quite different. Epecially ones like Kegger after discovering beer (July 17). They would surely be in the music police, closing the place down...

Silver Member

NC

Post Number: 249
LarryR,

Those are B&W CDM1 NT speakers. The 705's are the next generation of the model. From what I understand, the 705 has an improved bass response over the CDM1 NT.

The B&W's were auditioned in-home vs a pair of Linn floor standing speakers (believe it was the Ninka model). I chose the B&W's because they had a more open soundstage. Though the Linn's had a tighter bass and mid-range, the openness of the B&W appealed to me. My neighbor, though , preferred the Linn speakers. His musical preference is very loud rock&roll so the Linn's maybe were a better application for that. My preferences are more pop, acoustic, jazz, blues and alt country (and now classical) and the B&W's seem suited for that.

However, the B&W's are now used as surrounds. When I switched to a multichannel setup I decided to get Monitor Audio GR10's. I bought these on blind faith since no local dealers carry them so they could not be auditioned. Fortunately, they sounded great right out of the box and continued to improve as they were broken in. They have the open soundstage like the B&W but are far better in the low end and midrange. The 705 model with its improved low end response may compare better with the MA GR10's but the CDM1 NT is not quite as good. Even so, it is still an excellent sounding speaker.

I may sell the B&W's in the near future so if you are interested, let me know and I'll give you first dibs.

You may want to keep an eye on the site http:\www.audiogon.com where you can find good buys on used equipment. I bought a used REL sub from that site and saved $500 over Tweeter's price for a new model.

I didn't see any 705's on the site right now but the following were listed:

CDM1NT plus Center channel $1450
http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?spkrfull&1098065122

CDM1 NT $850
cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?spkrfull&1097892808

Bronze Member
Username: Ojophile

Toronto, ON

Post Number: 31
John A., Kegger, My Rantz, Ghia:

Very impressive eat-your-heart-out gear and listening/viewing environments! For suds, I recommend adding the Czech Kozel beer or the German DAB [Dortmunder Actien Brauerei] to your list. I speak neither language, but beer is beer. We have a wide variety of beers here, and there's a growing demand for Czech and German brews.

John A., glad to hear that you like Sibelius (see my My music to die for if marooned on an island . I agree with your statement, "...full of big memorable tunes you can whistle". His symphonies are very listenable (if that's a good adjective to describe them), much like Tchaikovsky's.

Ditto with your opinion on the snotty attitude that pervades the classical scene. But you know what? There's a similar, although less pervasive, attitude in jazz. Nobody gives a hoot about an artist's personal or cultural background if he or she is a North American, European, or South American. But if an Oriental, say a Japanese jazz pianist or horn player is on the spot, critics, radio hosts, music editors have a heyday questioning and writing about the poor guy's roots. Makes you wonder about the universality of music. Hmm...

Re: DVD-A listings, I'm not sure whether you've been here, but I'll put it in anyway:
AudioRevolution DVD-Audio page for what it's worth.

Silver Member

NC

Post Number: 250
Ojo,

Welcome to this thread! Enjoyed your island music thread.

MR

Just found our that the surround mix on the Doobies "Captain and Me" was done by Elliot Scheiner - this is the same guy we raved about for his mix of Beck's "Sea Change", Fllaming Lips and Steely Dan.

Silver Member

New York USA

Post Number: 218
Ghia,

"Just found our that the surround mix on the Doobies "Captain and Me" was done by Elliot Scheiner - this is the same guy we raved about for his mix of Beck's "Sea Change", Fllaming Lips and Steely Dan. "

There seems to be a trend here, no? As mentined in other threads, the man is all over the "new" format. In fact, he may be the first (ok, second) engineer to influence my music buying.

Silver Member

Naples, FL US

Post Number: 187
Ghia C et al - thanks for the B & W comments and references. Won't be in the market for some time, unfortunately, but from the 705s I heard recently in a local shop, they appear to be near-perfect for classical and opera - which is about all my wife and I listen to.
Money issues being what they are, I'm stuck with my Polk RTi6s for now. Oh, they sound great with light jazz and more pop-oriented music, but the orchestral and operatic demands are just too much for them, I guess. They "muddy-up."
I know that my CD player is a big part of the problem - and when the money-bag gets full again, I'll be trying to find something much better than my JVC unit.
I learn so much from all of you on these threads, and am very grateful to you!
Respectfully, Larry R.

Gold Member

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 1267
I hope noone took my.

"john: that sounds like one heck of a disk. I haven't
found much classical that i enjoy yet, usually not
much going on."

as a bash on classical or johns recomendation of
that dvd-a!

on the contrary i'm still trying to find my classical
preference, so all the recomendations of something
really good i'm all for!

Gold Member

Post Number: 2020
Ojophile,

I am in total agreement. Many thanks. Yes, jazz can be like that, too. Apart from anything else, it all seems so patronising. I like music partly because it is universal. Or should be. Like science. Whenever people attach an national or cultural adjective to music or science, it usually means it is no good. IMHO. Catalonian molecular biology, The Swiss trio sonata, Canadian heavy metal, Tasmanian physical chemistry. It's all nonsense. If something is good, then it does not need qualification. Just drop the tribalism, and the World will be a better place.

All,

I really have to back off from this nice forum for some weeks, because of work. I will pop in and have a look from time to time, though. And make a quick post now and then if I feel strongly about something, it can happen now and then... But no more long-winded essays or photos, from me, at least for while.

I am looking forward to more pics, though. Larry? Sem? Ojo? Rick? 2C? And can anyone get Mr Vigne over to this thread....?

Parting shot, prompted by Ojo's remark.

If anyone says to you "I am proud to be X" (where "X" is any description of something about them OVER WHICH THEY HAD NO CONTROL - national, racial, ethnic, etc.) then there is one reply that is guaranteed to cause offence every time, equally and to everyone:

"It is just as well you are 'proud to be X', because, even if you were not proud, you would still be X".

Try it, put in any value you like for "X".

It works every time!

Silver Member

NC

Post Number: 251
Kegger,

Color preference like audio preference is highly subjective. I tend towards earth tones (i.e. sage green vs jewel green, paprika red vs cherry red, etc) and I like natural . If this were my basement, I would have the following goals:

1. The entertainment center should highlight and complement the equipment.
2. The entertainment center can either blend in with the walls (same or similar color) or should stand out (contrasting but complementary color.)

In my living room (and in fact most of the house), I wanted a "neutral" wall color - without it being the boring beige/off white color so prevalent in American houses. I found a sage green that was a good background for my furniture (which tends towards medium to dark woods, and red fabrics).

My entertainment center is actually not intended for audio equipment (just TV/VCR) so we had to drill holes to use one of the bookcases as an equipment rack. I like the contrast of the grey/silver/black of the audio equipment against the cherry finish of the wood. Also, the color of the Monitor Audio cabinet and the silver & copper speaker cones have a "harmony" with the green of the walls. The earlier pic was taken at night with a flash. I'll post another pic of a daytime shot where a truer representation of the color is present.

I noticed the detail blocks you used for the connecting pieces. That's a nice touch! But, painting them in a different color (two-tone) gives a disjointed effect, in my opinion. Painting the cabinet a single color would pull it together more and doing so would not hide the detail the blocks provide.

Since you asked for some suggestions, I'll offer a few:

- Forget about sponge painting. That's a nice effect in a small bathroom but would be distracting for an A/V room
- Personally, I think the rack should be a different color than the walls - but, it's your room! For the cabinet, a semi-gloss black or a pewter color would be complementary to the equipment.
- If you do paint the rack the same color as the walls, you might want to consider going a shade darker than the walls.

What are your goals for the room, Kegger? Do you want it light and airy or dark and cozy? What kind of flooring do you have?

Silver Member

NC

Post Number: 252
JohnA,

You are right again. I put the MA's on stands for the first time and the sound is even better. However, I need to work out the precariousness of this setup....as the left speaker is in direct line of the door knob (see pic below) and the right speaker is a little cramped in its space (also below). And, then there are the cats...lovable, not wretched (saw your post on Old Dogs). lol. They generally stay off the speakers but not sure about the kitten I'll be keeping.

Good luck with your work related load and upcoming move!

Sem,

Who is the other engineer you like? As previously mentioned, the Doobies disc I had wouldn't play except for "Long Train Running" and that sounded fantastic. I should have known Elliott Scheiner mixed this.

LarryR,

The B&W are outstanding for classical and, presumably opera (which I know absolutely nothing about but enjoy your Nutz thread.) If you get a chance to listen to Monitor Audio, do so. Their soundstage is just as open as the B&W but they have a better range. Like B&W, they are also built in England.
Upload
Upload

Silver Member

NC

Post Number: 253
Ok, no more pics from me I promise! But, if there are any more recommendations in regards to speaker placement, I'm appreciative of feedback. The current location is the only place where the a/v stuff can go since the other walls have fireplace or door/window openings. As you can see, it is a very tight squeeze where it is.

Silver Member

NC

Post Number: 254
LarryR,
You wrote: "I know that my CD player is a big part of the problem - and when the money-bag gets full again, I'll be trying to find something much better than my JVC unit."

I saw that you had donated the CD player funds to the hurricane relief effort. That's very noble and selfless. It is a reminder too of how fortunate we are to be able to engage in a hobby such as this. Can you post an address where others may mail a donation?

Gold Member

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 1268
Ghia Cabriolet very very apprecative of the room
critique and suggestions.

i think i like the idea of the rack being black
or a metal grey type color.

if i picked on of those 2 colors what color would i do the room?

i'm thinking of a darker color mainly for movie viewing purposes.

the floor is tile and rugs strategicly placed
for sound. but they can be removed and any color
substituted.

also you say to keep the blocks the same color
could i do the blocks a lighter or darker shade
of whatever color i do the rack. or is that a no no also?

keep in mind the color of the v shaped couch right
square in the middle of the room. that baby aint
goin nowhere!

this part i completely agree with1
" I wanted a "neutral" wall color - without it being the boring beige/off white color so prevalent in American houses"

I hate beige or white or light brown.

the rack was an experiment gone wrong! "color wise"

thanks for the feedback!

Gold Member

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 1269
by the way ghia the speakers on stands look much better!

and i'm sure sound better also.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2025
YEP.

Nice-looking fiddle on the wall, too...

Silver Member

NC

Post Number: 258
There's another fiddle on the other side of the Bodhran....Recently, I read a quote from a woman who was celebrating her 100th birthday. She said if she had known that she would live this long she would have learned to play violin when she was 40....Maybe I should get those fiddles off the wall....

Kegger, I'm thinking...more soon.

Silver Member

NC

Post Number: 259
The speakers definitely sound better on the stands....must fill with kitty litter to optimize sound. lol I'm just a little nervous with them there. I think I can get a door stop to eliminate that risk....Still worried about cats. They like to get on the sub.....One was just on the sub, looked at the speaker then jumped.....to the floor. Whew! In the other house, the B&W's were always on stands and the cats left them alone. Hopefully, that'll stay true, now.

Silver Member

NC

Post Number: 260
Indulge a little WAF....with the speakers on the stands that wall behind the system is even more blank. There's a painting I'd love to buy that would be perfect there. It's called "Blanket" and its been haunting me for months. The prominent part of the painting is a Victrola and the phrase "the world is kind of cold and the rhythm's my blanket." There are other images in the painting that draw you in but that phrase is what moves me. You can see a small image of the painting here:

Duy Huynh

Silver Member

Naples, FL US

Post Number: 189
Playing "catch-up" here, guyz! First, Ghia C - if anyone on the forum wants to send funds, one of the hardest-working group down here is the Salvation Army.
Salvation Army - P.O. Box 270848, Tampa, FL
33688-0848. Both the SA and the Red Cross are trying hard - and from what I hear, doing a great job. With thousands homeless, it's a thankless task in all the heat, humidity, and devastation.
Back to you - your listening room seems SO peaceful! Merri and I love the soft, sage-green walls. Good choice. Question, though - isn't the room very "live?" Looks like it might be.
To kitty litter - cats will only be drawn to kitty litter is one of them has actually "used" it recently. New litter is "neutral" - and hopefully will stay that way in speaker stands!!!
BTW - John A. I'm proud to be a French-German-Norwegian-English-Danish-Cherokee American!" (tee-hee, tee-hee)
If I have the guts, I'll post a pic or two of my simple, cheap, ordinary stereo setup on the morrow. Unless I chicken out!
Respectfully, larry R.

Silver Member

NC

Post Number: 263
LarryR,

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll send a check out this weekend and ask them to earmark for the hurricane relief.

Not sure what you mean by "live" on the room. It is a living room, after all. hehehe. If you mean that there's too many hard surfaces that contribute to sound reflection, you are probably right. I'm still in the midst of a renovation and haven't done the finishing details like curtains, paintings etc. Getting the speakers down on the stands made a huge difference, in part, due to the furniture's absorption.

Thanks for the nice comments about the room. If you think the living room seems peaceful, you should see my master bathroom! It's a total wreck right now (due to 5 heck-raisin' kittens) but maybe I'll put up a picture when I can reclaim it - assuming y'all want to see a picture of a bathroom. hehehe...

Please do post your pics....this isn't a competition. It nice to get a small glimpse into everyone's lives. That's the allure more than the photos of the equipment - which we can see on the manufacturer's websites. Although, it is cool to see how folks setup their stuff.

Since you started it, I'm proud to be a French-Scottish-Irish-Cherokee American! JohnA, you know how we are Americans are so please forgive us!

Silver Member

Post Number: 530
Sem - thanks for "Somebody lend me a dime" - great version by Boz!

Yes Larry, do post some pics. As Ghia put it: it's no competition. And a picture does not tell the whole story - while our inside shots look okay, the outside looks like a dilapidated old barn. But, I believe the 'distressed' look is in vogue at present.

Ghia, yes I knew Scheiner mixed TCAM, I should have mentioned that. And John A, if you liked The Band you should really be able to get into this Doobie Brothes classic. Also, yes, Riding With The King is definately another top recommendation from me!

Also picked up "Kind OF Blue" SACD. Ghia, I agree there's not a lot of difference between the 2 and multi channel (no lfe), but it's a great hi-res disc of this wonderful 1959 recording. Very smooth!

I'll post this final pic showing our listening position and the placement of our wall mounted rears (JBL S3611's). Thank goodness for our open staircase!

Upload

Silver Member

Post Number: 531
Ghia - missed those new pics. Great set-up and decor. Good to see those new stands. And I do like "The Blanket" - okay, go ahead and buy it!

John A - good luck with your workload - stayed tuned when you can though!

Silver Member

NC

Post Number: 264
MR,

Glad to hear you liked "Kind of Blue". That's a special recording and SACD just sweetens the pot.

Did you ever pick up Beck "Sea Change"...if I recall correctly, I think Sem did but wasn't sure about you. It's a bit moody but excellent recording and mix.

Your house is very intriguing. I love the mix of the brick walls and the wood features. Yes, the "distressed" look is in vogue. lol. Cool bar!

As for the "Blanket"...can you send me $3600 (US) so I can pick it up....and maybe another 3 grand so I can get a TV like yours! lol

Silver Member

New York USA

Post Number: 221
John A.

"I am looking forward to more pics, though. Larry? Sem...?"
Perhaps some day, if or when I get a digital camera, though don't expect La Casa de Ghia :-)

Ghia,

"Sem,Who is the other engineer you like?"
Alan Parsons, of course. Look for his new album Tuesday (shameless plug).

My Rantz,

"Sem - thanks for "Somebody lend me a dime" - great version by Boz!"
Most welcome. Check again, two new updates, (Miles and Trout).

Gold Member

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 1271
RANTZ i really like the looks of your place.

reminds me of a weekend getaway type setting, very enviting
and dare i say romantic feeling!

ghia i'm in no hurry for the color/decorating tips.
i won't have the time to do it for awhile anyway.

sem the beer bottles when someone is actually sitting/laying on
the couch listening. do not sit on the table, they
are held and drank. those were just leftovers that
went to the recycle whole!

so no fear of sonic interferance my friend!

Gold Member

Post Number: 2027
I am not quite out of it yet. But any posts from me after Wed. will be very short, and from Canada.

Ghia, the main problem with cats is they like to sharpen and clean up their claws on things, and speakers are high on their list of suitable things. The fabric on my KEF Corelli covers was once snagged in this way, in his youth, by a nice old tom who went AWOL this summer at age 12. Every summer someone sweeps our village for cats. Unlike most cats, that one was loyal, and pined when the previous dog died. I think he saw the accident, and was first to report back, clearly in distress. They had been the best of enemies for years.

Nice place to listen/watch, MR! What are those surrounds on the wall?

BTW where someone's genes were when his/her parents shuffled them together may be interesting but does not explain anything, and we are all originally from East Africa, so I understand. Some people seem to think language and culture are absorbed from the ground, presumably through the feet. For my money, this view is dangerous, as well as wrong.

Gold Member

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 1273
oh yah !

pretty much half and half, irish and indian hear!

Gold Member

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 1274
woops forgot!

darn proud of it too!

..........................................lol

Gold Member

Post Number: 2031
Kegger,

It's just as well you're darn proud, because, even if your weren't proud.....

See what I mean?

Peace.

Silver Member

Post Number: 535
What are those surrounds on the wall?

John A - Description just above photo. Have fun/work hard in Canada!

Kegger - thanks the was the intended style - and still romantic on occassion as well :-)

Ghia - never got Beck's Sea Change - listened on line to a few tracks and it didn't really grab me.

Silver Member

Post Number: 536
Kegger - meant: that was the intended style etc!

Gold Member

Post Number: 2032
MR,

Thanks. JBL. That aboriginal-looking rug might cut a few front reflections if moved. Looks like the JBL surrounds are omnidirectional so reflections won't matter so much there, and the nice timber stairwell probably does not reflect much anyway. Once again, "Mind you own flamin' business".... (smiley!).

Silver Member

NC

Post Number: 267
JohnA,

The problem with the logic of a response such as "It's just as well you're darn proud, because, even if your weren't proud....." is it usually isn't "received" by the "proud" target. In one ear, out the other as the adage goes. If you follow American politics, you see evidence of this every day.

Kegger!
You wrote: "ghia i'm in no hurry for the color/decorating tips. i won't have the time to do it for awhile anyway."

Well, it would seem I wasted a Saturday night on you. That other thread will sink to bottom pretty quickly. You'll have to find yourself a new designer. lol Oh well, it's good to hear you recycle.

Sem,
Sorry about my brain lapse. Of course, it's Alan Parsons...I've seen your other threads about him.

Silver Member

Post Number: 538
John A

Those JBL wall mounts are directional but the enclosure design has them toed in a little. Because of existing furniture these were really our only option (and we were lucky to find them locally) and fortunately they work well with the other speakers. Ideally, they need to be about a metre closer and about 2 more metres apart - but one can't have everything.

BTW - the rug is Mexican. An import bought cheap because of a flaw. It also covers an area left faded by an ugly old painting that once hung there.

"It's just as well you're darn proud, because, even if your weren't proud....."

IMO, people should be proud of just being human - the rest doesn't matter!

Gold Member

Post Number: 2035
MR,

Many thanks. No offence intended to Mexicans or Aborigines. It is a great rug.

"IMO, people should be proud of just being human - the rest doesn't matter!"

EXACTLY my point. Well said. I so wish everyone had learned this simple lesson; and the learning has been done the hard way, has it not? I thought Ojophile was saying much the same, and I just added some bits.

I wish I could shake your hand on that simple proposition.

All the best.

Gold Member

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 1275
ghia

"Kegger!
You wrote: "ghia i'm in no hurry for the color/decorating tips. i won't have the time to do it for awhile anyway."

Well, it would seem I wasted a Saturday night on you. That other thread will sink to bottom pretty quickly. You'll have to find yourself a new designer. lol Oh well, it's good to hear you recycle."

all i meant was take your time.
i want to do the room!
and yes the sooner i get ideas the sooner i get the supplies and get started.

i just meant don't beat yourself up to figure it out.

and i just noticed the other you started, cool
idea i like it. now i need to see what you got going.

thanks!

Gold Member

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 1276
john yu know i was joshing with you!

but a couple things to add to your statement.

if you are x and can't change it, well it's still
better to be proud you are then to be ashamed!

also if you live in a country you are not proud of
you can move to one you are.

oh yah proud to be an american! all that statement says
to me is i am proud of how my country acts.
that does not mean i'm in disgust of others.
their really isn't any other country i have issues with and wouldn't
call them a friendly country. "except maybe a few in the middle east"

Silver Member

Naples, FL US

Post Number: 190
OK, guyz, the ole scribe is trying to get this to work. Sigh. First - general living room shot. The Japanese screens in background serve both as "drapes" for big windows, and as sound-shapers. 14-foot ceiling, open room that is 15 feet from sofa to equipment wall. Here goes #1.
Upload

Silver Member

Naples, FL US

Post Number: 191
Sofa, so good? Second shot is general listening area - Italian leather sofa to fall asleep on, Persian rug (real, not a copy) for sound-deadening, and liddle Radio Shack "Optimus" surround speakers - cheap, but give very clear sound.
Upload

Silver Member

Naples, FL US

Post Number: 192
And finally - (blush) my el-cheapo system - teak cabinet with JVC XV-N55SL player and Onkyo 701 receiver - Polk RTi6 speakers (Cherry) with big, ugly 10-AWG cables running to them. Closed right side of cabinet holds DVDs.
Upload
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us