Archive through March 24, 2005

Silver Member
Username: Two_cents

Post Number: 374
Larry R,

I know Magnificat is available on DVD-A. Will check on the Chanticleer concerts. Thanks for the info. After one listen of Magdalena Kozena's cd of french arias, I'm totally delighted by the disc. If there isn't a big overlap of program, I'll check out Natalie Dessay's french arias. Ah, it's wonderful and frustrating to have a treasure trove of music!

Silver Member
Username: Larry_r

Naples, FL

Post Number: 310
Two Cents et al - well, well - Admin finally got this thread archived! Whew! I think there were 220 posts on it by that time.

Anyway - just finished listening (again) to the Kozena album - agree with your assessment (again).
And I'm going on Amazon right now to check on Chanticleer's format list. But I don't expect SACD from them yet. . .

See OperaNutz thread re Natalie Dessay - she's doing well after throat surgery. (yikes!!!)

Yes, sir - would be wonderful indeed to have the money to get every CD and DVD that I yearn to have!

As to the "Old Dogs" thread - I leave nit-picking to youze guyz, who obviously have both the intelligence and stamina to "go at it" over arcane and obtuse bits of information! (grin)
Guess it's good mind-exercise and all - but for 30 years I had either a man or woman hanging over my shoulder, saying something like: "keep it shorter," or "can't we do something about that paragraph - it's too long!" Editors, arrgghhhh!!!!
But necessary evils in the wacky world of wordsmithing. . .

More anon. . .

Gold Member
Username: Myrantz

Post Number: 1198
Larry,

Chanticleer is available in DVD-A mlp 5.0 and dd 5.1 see here:

http://www.michaeldvd.com.au/Reviews/Reviews.asp?ReviewID=2528

Cheers

Silver Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 314
MR - thanks so much! Appreciate. . .

FYI all - finally did my B & W and Paradigm speaker auditions - see "Teaching an Old Dog New Tricks" thread.

The Polks sound worse than ever! SIGH!!!

Gold Member
Username: Kegger

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 2035
Allright lar here's some pics of those speakers!

What a discovery! Jmlab 806s cobalt

Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload

Silver Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 320
(Big Yawn) G-mornin' - thanks, Kegger - they look, uh, "scrumptuous!"
Will post later today. . .with thanks!

(gotta stop staying up that late! GRIN)

Silver Member
Username: Ojophile

ON

Post Number: 191
Larry,

Several months ago, I made my own speaker test CD by burning 60-second snippets of music that I was most familiar with. Here's what I did:

1. I ripped 12 of my favourite tracks from various CD's into .WAV files onto my PC.

2. I then edited each track using Adobe Audition 1.0 (formerly Cool Edit Pro) to add fade-ins and/or fade-outs.

3. After I had done the edits, I burned my "audition" tracks onto a CD-R. So, I had a 12-minute test CD that ran the gamut of the music genres that I liked.

In each of our two cars, I placed a copy of the test CD so that each time I chance upon a hi-fi store, I have it handy. One shop that I recently visited asked where I had gotten the test CD. When I told him that I had dunnit myself, he had this "can I have one, too?" look in his eye. [Sorry, pal, if you want one, it's gonna cost ya no less than a 20% discount on the gear that I want ;-)

Anyway, my point is, if you want a similar thing, I can (a) make one for you --- you can tell me your preferred titles and/or artists; or (b) I can second-guess your preferences and choose the tracks myself; or (c) if you're really interested, I can give you a step-by-step procedure on how to do it.

Using one CD that has no more than 15 minutes of play time, you will be able to evaluate the speakers of your choice or at least give you an idea of how they would sound --- without taxing the patience of an anxious salesman.

Cheers and keep warm, old phart.

Silver Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 324
Don: Thanks for the post - however, I've already done a rather crude CD "sampler" on my Nero disc-burning program. Have six tracks, each different music, and it seems to work pretty well.
Yeah, this audition stuff is hard on me! Good ting I've got lots of decent Scotch around the house!
This aft, of course, will be the "biggie" test, when I bring home the Paradigms. Made right up there next to you, I believe!
Interesting - this morning (Mer's gone out to do some art stuff) I began to "tweak" the tone controls to try to make the Polks sound anywhere near the Paradigms (I know- music memory lasts about 10 seconds).
Well, after twidding and wincing a lot - finally got "somewhere near" the same remembered sound. You'll be interested to know that, with the amp set at Bass +4-6 and Treble at -4-6 the Polks sound better. But still they "muddy up" when the music gets loud. Sigh.

Will post immediate reivews this aft, if possible.

Thanks again - Lar

Gold Member
Username: Myrantz

Post Number: 1202
Larry

Tone controls! Aren't they those things that interfere with the audio signal?

:-)

Silver Member

ON

Post Number: 192
AV Guide Monthly, December 2004 issue, free download

There's a review of the PSB T45 on page 14.

http://www.avguide.com/AVG_monthly/issue11_hispeed.pdf

Silver Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 325
MR - rite U R, sir. Dey Dooz dat! (grin)

Don: thanks for the posting and link. I've tried to find a PSB dealer anywhere around here, but the closest listed was Sarasota - 2 hours north - and when I called both places they said they don't keep models in the shop - only order them for you. So - no way to even listen right now!

Silver Member

ON

Post Number: 193
Larry,

I think you should take Ghia's hint on the Old Dogs thread seriously <wink-wink>

I've auditioned the PSB Image 5T (now called T55) paired with a NADT753, and I was pleased with the detail that I had heard, using my own sampler CD [acoustic jazz, vocals, and classical, particularly, Andre Previn and the LA Philh. Orch's reading of Rachmaninoff's Symp. no. 2, on the Telarc label]. I didn't hear any harshness or tinny sound. The brasses, brushes, vocals, piano, etc., all came out clear and full.

I'm sure the NADT763 will be a perfect match with the Paradigm Studio 20's, (better than afleck and jlo --- OK, bad analogy). How it will match up with your Polks, I have no idea.

Really.

OK, I'm a bad influence, and Merri already knows that. But if I were living in the US, I'd seriously consider Ghia's T763.

Anyways, have a good weekend.

Silver Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 327
Don: And good morning to you, too, sir!
Well, I take back the Paradigms this ayem, and will take in the Polks as well. I don't know what to expect at the shop.
If the Polks sound better there than they do here I'll know that I may have either an amp problem, or simply an amp that doesn't do what I want it to do!
Next step then - take in the amp to have them see about any problems.
Next step - depends on shop findings.

I'm pretty sure you're right about the Nad - but at this moment everything is in an upheaval, and I need to sit back and think a bit.
First - I'd need to get rid of either the Polks (for new speakers) or the Onkyo (for the Nad) before I could buy anything. Soooooo. . .

As I say, this is gonna take a bit of time!

Interesting to read about your PSB audition. Wish I could find a place within 200 miles of Swampville to give them a listen, also! But it's not to be - so I can only go on what you post as far as the speakers' sound qualities.

Must away to a tad of breakfast - then off to the HiFi shop (they spell it "shoppe" here, of course!) for some talk-n-testing.

I'll post later today on what they find and or tell. Sorta "show and tell?" (here it comes)
YEP. . .

More anon. . .

Gold Member

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 2041
Yu know what else you could try lar is putting a 2 channel amp out the preamp
outs for your fronts from the onkyo.

I'ts really easy to do, hey maybe even tube!

All you do lar is look at the the back of your onkyo "maybe manual"

See the section labled output and you should see outputs for all the channels
your reciever has.

Then you take a pair of rca interconnects and connect them to the ones
labled (front) (L,R) then to the a 2 channel amp then on to your front speakers.

Gold Member

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 2042
If a better amp is what you need that should do it.

And It's not very expensive to get a nice 2 channel amp!

Maybe you could even audition one!

Gold Member

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 2043
Theres tons of 2 channel amps on the used market!

Maybe even a beloved mac amp!

Silver Member

ON

Post Number: 194
Re: Previn, that should have read, "Royal Philharmonic Orchestra", not LA.

Speaking of Previn, he's one of my all-time favorite music personalities: a great conductor, one hell of a jazz pianist, and an excellent lecturer. Always brilliant, never condescending.

Here's the link, if you're interested. This is my favorite version of the Rachmaninoff Symp. #2:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000003CTM

Cheers!

Silver Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 328
Kegger: thanks many, many times over - I just finished "stringing" 12-gauge wire from receiver into my den, which is about 28 feet from the amp.
Turned on - and played a coupl-ah discs. Have to say that you are right about one thing - the Polks sound much warmer and fuller in my little den than they do in the living room! OK!
But - that "thin" sound remains - as though the treble control were cranked all the way up. It's set at "0" - but the strange thing is that, whenever I've tried to boost or attenuate it, it makes almost NO difference! As though perhaps it's not hooked up? I would think it would make quite a difference in hi-end sound - but maybe it only affects frequencies at the very top?
Anyway - that done, I'll soon be away to the HiFi shop to return the Paradigms. I didn't try them in the den, as I'd already re-packed them, and to unpack again - sigh - a lot of work!

I'll be calling my friend later today to see if HIS friend has any 2-ch. amps lying around. I know he has a lot of "old" stuff, so he may have what I need for the test. We'll see. . .

DON: So - "another" Rach 2, eh? I don't think I've listened to that symphony in more than 10 years - thanks for the heads-up on it! But Mer says to tell you: "we're not ordering it right now!" Hmmm. . .

Speaking of Mer - she awoke today in quite a bit of pain - seems that she has an abcessed tooth, she says there's pus around it. YUCK! She's started on anti-germ mouthwash, and we'll try to get her into the Dentist pronto on Monday. Guess that's why she's really NOT interested in my stereo problems at the moment! Sigh. . .
Mark Twain was too right: "life is just one damned thing after another!"

Will post later today on any and all tests and amp-searches. THANKS TO YOU ALL!!!!!

Silver Member
Username: Ghiacabriolet

NC

Post Number: 552
LR,

I'm sending you an email in a few minutes.

Silver Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 332
Kegger; As I posted on Old Dogs - sigh - one channel of the 2-amp didn't work. Drattttt!!!!
Sooooo - here we are, trying trying again.

I'm going to strip down the whole system tomorrow, clean all contacts, and re-connect. Then I'll do another test.

As I said on OD - the FM doesn't sound too bad, but the CD player does. As I recall, it did not sound this bad at first - which leads me to think there's some connection problem? No buzz or noise , however, so I'm in the dark.

I'm stil trying for a "loaner" receiver to set up here at home - so I can hear the CD player and speakers in their "normal" environment.

This is getting to me - sigh - too much pressure for an ole scribe!!! (grin)

More anon. . .

Silver Member

ON

Post Number: 207
Lightscribe Direct Disc Labeling Technology

http://lightscribe.com/index.aspx

http://lightscribe.com/faq.aspx

Silver Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 370
To all: Well, since my posting above, I've got a new lease on life - soundwise, that is.
Got a new NAD 763, and it makes the Polk RTi6 speakers sing! But not as well as REnee Fleming. Sigh. Will have to exchange the Polks for something "better" in the coming months/years.
Looking forward to new sounds from new SACD discs in the coming months. If any of you have any new ones - please post your reviews here!
Will post more anon. . .

Silver Member

ON

Post Number: 217
Larry,

Now that you have the NAD, I was wondering whether the sound of the Schubert Piano Trios CD (Ashkenazy, Harrell, & Zukerman) had improved somewhat?

Here's the link to your amazon.com review:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/cdp/member-reviews/A3AKB32L8MJH7Q

Silver Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 416
Don: Well, I just put the disc back on to check, and while the "overall" sound is better, the CD is just plain grainy and strained. (sounds like baby food? Hmmm)
I'm going to play the second part a bit later, but from what I've heard so far - Nope! I've got one of those trios on another disc - and IF I can find it, I'll compare it. Will let you know by tonight some time.
Yeah, I've been trying out a lot of the CDs that I was ready to toss (to the library) - and so far all of them - while sounding "better" on the NAD - still sound thin and tinny. Mostly they are early-80s DG discs - which many people find uncomfortably shallow and tinny.
I'm still amazed at the difference between regular CDs and the few SACDs I've got. When I pop in a SACD, Mer usually comes into the room from her studio, and says something like: "wow, that sounds good!" That much difference, yep.
Haven't purchased any new CDs in awhile - trying to clear up year-end bills first, as you can imagine.
Have my sights on some, though - have my "wish list" all made up in Amazon! Maybe next month?
Again, Don, let me know what you've got, and how they sound - especially those Japanese discs you referenced earlier!
Our best to your family - and happy working!!!

Silver Member

ON

Post Number: 218
Larry,

It's been a while since I've contributed yet another "review" to Amazon's ever growing list of opinions from wannabes like me, but in response to your request, here's the link to my latest write-ups:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/cdp/member-reviews/A17UFTELBIVZ25

I still have a lot of CD's and other things to write about, but as always, work (!) gets in the way. As to the Jap CD pressings I hinted at, I get frustrated and disappointed when I find out that a rare, hard-to-find CD is almost always as an "import" and thus, very expensive.

I agree with you on the thin sound of DG discs. I have quite a few of them, mostly Karajan reissues, and solos (piano, violin, etc.) sound rather airy.

Will post more.

P.S.

Did John A. say he was moving?

Silver Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 418
Don RX-1 - Read your reviews - very good! You seem to hone in on the central and critical aspects of the albums, and put all in simple, yet eloquent terms.
Yes, sir - I learn on the forum that John A. and family are on the way back to England. That's about all I know - except that John said he wouldn't be posting much for the rest of the week.
I'm still intrigued by those japanese discs to which you refer. Not that I'll be buying any, but just didn't know of their existence.
Will send ye an e-mail later. Courage!

Silver Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 421
Well, to all who missed "Candide" on PBS tonight, sorry for you! Although I usually eschew "semi-staged" productions, this one had verve, spirit, talent and true inspiration. Led by the wonderful conductor Marin Alsop, whose career I've followed from her break-in period with the Denver Symphony, the production moved ahead with a degree of sheer joy that I sendom see anymore.
I hope that some who read this did, indeed, see/hear it. Your comments?

Silver Member

ON

Post Number: 219
Larry,

Thanks for reading my amateur reviews on amazon.com.

My apologies for not replying sooner to your post/query re: Japanese CD pressings; haven't forgotten, just didn't get the chance to post back. Anyways...

Here are some examples:

Sergio Mendes and Brasil '77, Vintage 74 album, not available on CD, exceptthe expensive Japanese issue at US$32.49 (CAN$36.99 at amazon.ca)

Angel Eyes [IMPORT] Dave Brubeck - Larry, my friend, I know you are a Paul Desmond fan. I had this album on LP (Columbia label) many, many years ago and practically wore it out. Desmond's solos here are, IMO, his most lyricalthat I've heard especially on the slow numbers, Everything Happens to Me, Night We Called It a Day, and the killer track, Angel Eyes.

Conversely, he swings hard on Let's Get Away from It All and Will You Still Be Mine?. If you've been searching for that elusive Desmond + MJQ CD, you might also want to consider Angel Eyes. Dave Brubeck plays straight-ahead solos without any of his cliched off-signature rhythms; just pure jazz piano solos. That's why I love this album but I'm reluctant to fork out CAN$36.99. And this is where I lament the fact that some recordings from original jazz catalogs (Columbia, Fantasy, Riverside, Verve, etc.) are no longer in "American" hands --- how the exchange of ownership happened, I have no clue. Now, don't get me wrong: it's not a rant against the Japanese CD industry; it's the fact that we are losing control of what belongs here in the northern shores. The only thing you get out of these imported CDs is the CD itself! The liner notes are useless because they're not written in English. I bought a few Jap-import Miles Davis CD's a couple of years ago. I had to cut out the covers, glue them on cardboard, and reinsert them into the jewel case. (end of rant... time to put on the flak jacket).

Another example:

Paul Desmond - Summertime

And another, which I bought last Christmas as a present to myself, the Spinozza album which I had written and complained about on amazon.com:

Spinozza

In each one, you will see the brief description: "Japanese Only 20bit Mastered Release. Limited Edition"

Anyways, I hope the above answers your question re: "Japanese CD pressings" --- Who knows, some of your beloved masterpieces may be reissued on DVD-A as "Imports." Brace yourself.

Regards,

Don

Silver Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 435
Don: Thanks for the always-welcome post, and all the album info. I truly was not aware of these Japanese import albums - but I thank you for the heads-up. Indeed, I've added the two Desmond albums to my Amazon "wish list!" Hmmm. . .
Been a bit sidetracked these last few days - reading a book: Jimmy Buffett's "A Salty Piece of Land." If you like good stories, and travel through the Caribbean, Yucatan, and South Pacific, then you'd like the book. Quite a romp, and Buffett does tell great tales!
Other thing about the book (from the library) is that it has a Buffett "single" CD in the back. A nice, Caribbean-like song about - guess what? - A salty piece of land!
So much for my diversions - at the moment!
Will post more later, but must get my beauty rest. Now there's a laugh for you! (grin)

More soonish. . .

Silver Member

ON

Post Number: 222
Ian G. Masters' article on Speaker Listening

http://www.mastersonaudio.com/tips.shtml

Silver Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 439
Don: Thanks so much for the post - and the link! REad it twice, and agree totally. I think I'd accidentally accessed the chap's site once before, then lost it.
Yeah, I hate to admit it, but I AM on a speaker-quest. While the NAD has made a marvelous difference, there is still an unknown "something" lacking in the Polks - and it is not just bass. Indeed, the NAD has brought out bass in the Polks (running flat, no bass-boost) that I've not heard before.
Also - a more natural sound - to me, anyway. So, the NAD is a wonderful start. I hate to think of spending even another dime, but may have to bite down after all. Mer, of course, may have contrary opinions!! (grin)
OK - I'm asking this here, and on the Old Dogs thread: is it possible that a stereo system can sound "better" after it has been playing for 20 minutes or so? Mine "seems" to do that - and I'm wondering if it's just my ears adjusting, or what. Maybe it's aliens, after all! (snicker)
Away to some domestic chores - hope you and your family have a great week! Lar.

Silver Member

ON

Post Number: 225
Dell dismisses the iPod...
http://www.osopinion.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=3261& mode=thread&order=0&thold=0

...while Volvo officially endorses it...
http://www.engadget.com/entry/1234000227027770/

...and bloggers have a field day:
http://www.siliconvalley.com/mld/siliconvalley/news/10665684.htm

Gold Member
Username: John_a

Post Number: 2745
Don.

Thank you. Yes, I am now in London. Love it. See Old Dogs for a bit more.

Nice links, also.

"But on the upside Volvo will feature custom playlists on iTunes featuring today's "best" Scandinavian artists."

They mean "downside". Having fled from that place I find it entirely in character that Volvo knows what you should be listening to. They will log your playlists and prevent you listening to anything except Abba and Sibelius,

The Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA) feels differently. ``If the copyright owner and artist is making the choice to use this tool to distribute their music, we think that's a great thing,'' says RIAA spokesman Jonathan Lamy in an e-mailed statement. `....What concerns us is when someone else has taken it upon themselves to make that choice, and distribute music they do not own, when the copyright owner has not given permission.''

Total nonsense.

Question: who "owns" music?

Silver Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 448
John A. - good to see that you're back in "civilization" once again!
As to who "owns" music? Well, nobody owns the vibrations that create the sound in our heads, but many people own "the penned or performed versions" of that music.
Mer, for instance, has copyright protection on a lot of her artwork. Does she "own" art? Certainly not - but she does "own" particular creations that come from her studio. Thus, she must get royalties from anybody selling that particular artwork or artworks.
The same with music. Individual works of art/music are, indeed, "owned" by the creator, or whomever copyrights them.

And have a great day!. . .

Silver Member

ON

Post Number: 226
Article: Sound Pundits

"...reviewers and consumers should listen to the musical attributes of a system and not its sonic virtues."

http://www.jazztimes.com/reviews/audio_video_files/reviewDetail.cfm?ReviewID=16

Silver Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 455
Don: Wowzer, my friend! Thanks for the link. Read the article twice - and took some notes. Guess I'm on the right track with the NAD, but everything else is - uh - ???. Hmmm. . .

Mer's gone to teach for the morning, so I'm back in "HiFi Heaven," with speakers ablaze and the house gently rocking to some Desmond. Ahhh. . .

Yep - music, not knobs! Good tinking dere.

Silver Member

Post Number: 409
Don, thanks for the link to the article. Finally a sane view for the audiophile. I particularly liked the following:

"I'm troubled by how much worse some of the stuff has gotten," Dudley laments. "I think amplifiers and preamplifiers are the main suspects. In specific, I don't know anyone in the industry who doesn't really think that early products by companies such as Audio Research, Conrad-Johnson and Krell were superior to their current offerings. The cynical view--which is to say my view--is that once these companies saturated their small markets, they had to keep coming up with reasons for owners to keep trading in toward the new stuff, and the only way they could do that was to keep making their initially good electronics more complex."

That is exactly what I'm discovering. Another reason to buy used gear.

Bronze Member
Username: Simplymcintosh

Post Number: 14
2C,

Have you heard Peter Salett? I had downloaded one of his tracks(Heart of Mine) from iTunes as part of a compilation and loved it. His website has some mp3's and he reminds me a little of Wilco meets Elliott Smith. I think I'll pick up a couple of his CD's.

Silver Member

Post Number: 410
S-M-A-to-the-C,

Thanks. No, I haven't heard of him. Most of the music I've been listening to lately has been classical and jazz, except yesteday I picked up an Ian and Sylvia record from the 60's for a hard-earned buck. Pretty wonderful stuff.

Always interested in what you have on your playlist though.

Silver Member

ON

Post Number: 234
Website link:

100 Greatest Jazz Vocalist Albums

Not to be taken as "fact" or gospel, but it's a good list nevertheless. I have 22 of them in my collection (LP's included); lost or misplaced 9 because of moves or loan-outs to people who honestly forgot to return them.

http://www.digitaldreamdoor.com/pages/best_jazzvoc-album.html

Silver Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 507
Don, Two Cents et al - sorry, but I've been busy elsewhere, and have forgotten my duties here on Discoveries! Or maybe it's because I haven't "discovered" anything of note recently!

Well, today, I "found again" one of my new SACDs. It had been filed in the wrong place, and until I took down the bookcase for cleaning I couldn't find it.

Wonderful sound! From the late 50s, yet. George Szell and the boys in the Cleveland Orchestra (yes, it was mostly boys then).

this is one of those "we crammed two LPs onto one SACD" thangs: Antonin Dvorak's Symphony #7 and Carnival Overture - and Smetana's (Gee, I LOVE this piece!) The Moldau - along with some Bartered Bride dances and the overture to same.

Well, I did my usual "clean" thang, then put it on the (heh-heh, almost called it a "turntable!") CD player. Hit "play" and got out of the way! Oh, my - such sound! This is one of the 2-channel discs, but heck, it doesn't matter that much to me.

I'd just played an old (1981) CD of Beethoven's violin concerto - and the sound from the SACD just plain overwhelmed me!

Any who claim not to hear a difference in the SACD should have ears examined, for sure! As I don't have a "regular" CD recording to match the SACD against, I have no direct A-B comparison, but what I'm hearing on this disc makes me want to go out and buy every SACD I can find! (grin)

Don: I'm not forgetting about jazz, my friend! Just been doing the classical thing recently. I bombed out completely on trying to find the Desmond/MJQ CD - guess that, unless somebody re-issues it, it's a goner.

Two Cents: Been thinking of you a lot recently, and how I hope that you get some new speakers very soon! Mer and I keep talking about wanting to get out there to God's Country to hear some music, etc., but it doesn't look like that's about to happen in the near future. Soooo - attend a few concerts for us - please! Probably not a hard job for you, eh? (grin)

Mer is away teaching a fused-glass class, so I can turn up the stereo and "get into" the music! Three half-days a week are "mine" here - and I have solid wall-to-wall music then! Yes!

Despite Mer's dislike, I'm going to order some more of the Niehaus CDs - and, of course, play them while she's away doing her teaching-thang.

Keep the light burning, all! I'll have more input soon - promise!

Silver Member

Post Number: 429
Larry,

Thanks for your thoughts. As it turns out, I made a deal to get new used speakers. Sent the money yesterday. Hope to get the speakers by next Friday.

I've been listening to a lot of music. Here is a sample of my discoveries and re-discoveries (they're all exemplary recordings):

Brad Meldau, The Art of the Trio, Volume 2. Virtuosic jazz piano playing and group improv.

M. Uchida, Complete Mozart Piano Sonatas. Lots and lots of fine, nuanced classical piano playing.

Stephen Hough, Piano Music by Federico Mompou. Charming piano playing in the style of Erik Satie. A big surprise. I love this disc.

I think once you get your new speakers, regular CDs will sound a lot better. The difference in sound with SACDs won't be as noticeable.

BTW some people consider your God's Country the Devil's Playground. Either way, I'm sure you would enjoy what it has to offer. Perhaps someday you'll make over here...

Cheers

Silver Member

ON

Post Number: 236
8:35 p.m. EST

Just discovered a very good jazz radio station from Berlin, Germany, broadcasting on the internet:

http://www.jazzradio.net/broadcast.php

Music streams via Windows Media Player. Minimum interruption; station ID is broadcast in German; occasional English station breaks. Mostly jazz standards.

When I tuned in, the programme was a constant stream of hard swinging tunes but not bebopish. As the night wore on, solo piano tunes and cool vocals streamed in. Then it was back to fast, spirited tracks.

Overall, a wonderful 'net find. Hope you like it. I don't know what the daytime programme is like, but I'd appreciate anyone who tunes in to post some feedback.

Tune being played as I'm about to sign out: "Stompin' At The Savoy" played by a small ensemble.

BTW - Neither title nor artist is displayed on the Media Player. I just happen to know most of the tunes being played. But enjoy it anyhow.

Goodnight.

Silver Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 532
Two Cents: OK, fellah! You're getting new/used speakers - and - and - and what kind? Don't keep an ole guy in suspense, puh-leez!!

Ah yes - Uchida - superb Mozart interpreter - fine pianist. I have I believe two of her CDs.

Don RX-1: Well now - thanks for the German link. Will access it and let you know my impressions.

Getting sleepy - so to bed soonish.

Keep up the postings, please!

Silver Member

ON

Post Number: 237
Was about to turn off the PC when another beautiful standard, "I Cover The Waterfront" played from that Berlin station.

I don't think I'll be able to sleep tonight with all that great streaming jazz music.

Ah, the simple pleasures of life!

OK, goodnight again.

Oh, wait a minute. Now, they're playing "Nature Boy", the Nat King Cole song, being sung by I-don't-know-who, but it's in a medium tempo swing.

Please let me go. Please.

OK, one more tune. Then I'll go to bed. C'mon, not another one of my favorites!

Silver Member

ON

Post Number: 238
Possibly George Benson singing his own take of "Nature Boy." The guitar solo sounds very much like his style, y'know, that unmistakeable Wes Montgomery influence.

OK, g'night.

Silver Member

ON

Post Number: 239
The playlist is shown here in scrolling fashion:

http://www.jazzradio.net/index.php

It was Kevin Mahogany singing that "Nature Boy" song.

OK, that's it. After this Horace Silver tune, I'll go.

Really.

Silver Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 534
So - Don - you still up and listening? Thot so. Sigh. Yeah, I know how it is when I get into a "listening pattern."

I'm gonna give the station a daytime try, and see what's going on then, as well. Interesting. . .

Right now I'm on pins and needles - waiting, waiting for those B&W speakers! Probably won't see them until a week from today - or maybe even a few days' later. Sigh.

Today is "sort out the jazz section" of the CD collection. I sorta take turns - cleaning and filing one section at a time. That way, it doesn't get so boring! I'm sure you know. . .

I'm keeping close watch to see what jazz performances come out in SACD re-issue - but there aren't too many of them. With all the recent controversy over blu-ray and whether the SACD will "live," well - I have some hesitation, but not much. I don't think blu-ray will take over the audio format in my lifetime. Which is probably short! (grin)

More anon. . . and Good Listening!

Silver Member

Post Number: 433
Lar, I have a feeling redbook CDs will be around for some time, maybe longer than SACDs. There are no signs of the format going away, even with the growing popularity of music downloads. I'm not so sure about DVD-As though. I've heard some death knells recently...

Silver Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 536
Two Cents: U R right, my friend - the CD will outlive us all. The one ray of hope there is that the most recent CDs ARE better than they once were, and some are even rivals to the SACD sound.

Yeah, I think the DVD-A will fall under the weight of the blu-ray process eventually. And what that means - heck, I haven't a clue! I DO know that bu-ray has such incredible storage capacity that making discs of, say, a single symphony, would use up only a small portion of it.

Movies, yes - audio-only, well, I have a hard time thinking it would be used for that - UNLESS - the talked-about 3 1/2-inch discs finally come into production. Stay tuned, as they say. . .

Silver Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 548
More music coming - yep, did the Amazon thang this weekend, and broke out of my no-buy mold!

Paul Desmond's "Summertime" CD is one I've wanted ever since Don RX-1 set me onto it. Good for you, Don!

Also ordered Rolando Villazon's new (his second) CD. Have y'all heard this tenor? He's simply amazing, and I think perhaps the best of the "new breed of tenors."

And finally, a CD of Schubert Piano trios, featuring pianist Andras Schiff. Gets rave reviews, and I just know I'll be enthralled with the disc!

That's about it - after having "gutted" my liddle surround speakers (see Teaching Old Dogs New Tricks on Home Audio) the whole sound system, well, "sounds" better! Really. . .

Hoping to get my new B& W speakers at the end of this coming week - and I'm tired of sitting around with fingers, arms, ankles and eyes crossed! Bring on the music!

Hope all of you had a decent weekend - and I wish for you a productive week ahead.

More anon. . .

Anonymous

Got Loud Speakers Then Get A Loud Ringtone
just enter your cell number to download
Jamster Ringtones

Silver Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 559
Anonymous: Why, for Goodness' sake? Life is too noisy as it is.

Silver Member

ON

Post Number: 241
More RCA Red Seal Living Stereo SACD releases:

http://www.highfidelityreview.com/news/news.asp?newsnumber=14646257

Silver Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 575
Don RX-1 - et al. OK, I've heard some of these RCA discs - and am impressed. BUT - I get mixed reviews on the one I really want - the Saiint-Saens "Organ" symphony with Munch/BSO. Many buyers have said that the sonics on it are not as good as the original LPs - and no better on the SACD than on the "regular" CD.

Anybody out there actually have a SACD of this work? Your opinions might determine whether or not I purchase it myself. THANX.

And Don - thanks for the link!!!

Silver Member

ON

Post Number: 242
Larry et al:

Been busy in the last couple of weeks both at work and at home, but I had a few minutes this morning to spare to post this item.

Last night, while rummaging through our stored items, I re-discovered a few of my CD's that I had either forgotten or had given up for lost. The one that I played last night was the guitar duet album by John Williams and Julian Bream called "Together." This is one of my favourite albums, and it is special to me because my former classical guitar and I played the Duo in G, Op. 34 by Carulli in a recital many, many years ago --- when I was young and carefree.

Over a glass of port on a foggy evening, I listened to the musical dialogue between these two masters of the guitar and what sheer musical pleasure it was! This is an album that you will enjoy listening on a late night after a long day over a glass of your favorite drink.

I checked the internet this morning to see whether it is still available. Much to my chagrin, I found out that the issue that is available out there now has more tracks than what I have (see details below at amazon.com)
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000003FDM

My CD bears the RCA Red Seal catalog no. RD83257 and ends at Ravel's Pavane pour une infante défunte ("Pavane for a Dead Princess"), missing 2 tracks that are now included in the current listing.

Anyway, if you like classical guitar music, especially duets, you will enjoy "Together." You can't get a better duo than Williams and Bream.

Back in a week or so...

P.S. Oh, BTW, Larry, I hope your B&W speakers arrive soon. My co-worker who bought the B&w DM603 S3 last year has invited me for a private audition. I'll take up his offer and let you know of my impressions.

Silver Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 578
Don: Thanks - I have a lot of guitar CDs - and will see if that's one of them. Sounds like a keeper to me!

Sigh - the B & Ws are somewhere between Newark and here - but don't know where. The FedEx site claims they will be delivered by Wednesday. I can't hold my breath much longer than that! (grin) Will post when they arrive, are hooked up, and play beautifully, without scratches, dings, mashes or whams. Sigh.

More anon. ..

Silver Member

ON

Post Number: 244
Larry,

Congratulations on the new "twins"! What a lovely family picture. I wish you many years of musical enjoyment on the B&W's and the NAD. Classy looking stands, too.

I have to leave the forum indefinitely as I'm busy with so many things, but will occasionally drop by to read what the Old Dogs are up to. You can still send me an e-mail and I will reply promptly.

Looking forward to spring. Enjoy the music.

Don

Username: Allic

Post Number: 5
Are b&w the the best for the most expensive or boath?if I was just wondering be 'cause I'm taking a portable digital recorder to The U2 concert.Well first i have to get
U2 tickets online.Hopefully The I don't the pay too much anyway I had a set of BMW's about ten years ago guy got second hand.the prices here at ecoustics are quite reasonable.Well once i get some kewl tunes to crank on these pupies i will buy.

Silver Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 723
Gordo: Not sure if the B&Ws would be the best speakers for you, sir. They do very well with classical music - but I'd rather see you put your money into something like JBLs for rock/pop music.

For the B&W 705s you'll have to put out about $1,500 - and you can get what I think you want with JBL for much less than half of that. Hope that helps?

Silver Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 734
Need some input here, please! Acousticsounds.com. Anybody out there ordered from them? They look good, but wondering about shipping costs, service, etc. I've put a bunch of SACDs on my "wish list" with them - but not sure about ordering. I buy much of my stuff on Amazon.com now - and like their prices and customer service very, very well! thanx. . .

Kent Wright
Unregistered guest
Bought 2 LP's from acousticsounds.com So far, so good. The only reason I go with them is for the vinyl catalog, otherwise I stick with amazon.com.

Do like I did: order one item first and see how it goes.

Good luck
KW

Kent Wright
Unregistered guest
Any 70s jazz CD or LP recommendations from anyone?

thanks,
KW

Silver Member
Username: British_power

Post Number: 898
i discovered a little antie yesterday...lol

Kent Wright
Unregistered guest
British Power

I know you mean well, but out of courtesy to the rest of us, would you mind posting somewhere else? I'm waiting for replies to some of my posts. Please.

This is an A/V forum and if it's not your cup of tea, please leave and join another forum of your own kind. MSN Messenger may be a better choice for you.

Thank you,
KW

Silver Member

Post Number: 906
i like tea so there for it is

Kent Wright
Unregistered guest
British Power

Please take a cue from the regular posters at Tube Talk.

Please leave and join another forum.

Thanks,
KW

Silver Member

Post Number: 916
wut is the discoveries thread about

Silver Member

ON

Post Number: 249
Any 70s jazz CD or LP recommendations from anyone? - Kent Wright

KW,

I'm not sure if this is what you had in mind, but here's a partial list of jazz fusion artists that were popular in the 70's. I can't recommend a specific album at this time, but look at what's available out there

Eumir Deodato
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/search-handle-url/?index=music&field-keywords=Eumir Deodato

Billy Cobham
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/search-handle-url/?index=music&field-keywords=Billy Cobham

Tom Scott
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/search-handle-url/?index=music&field-keywords=tom%20scott

Lee Ritenour
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/search-handle-url/?index=music&field-keywords=lee%20ritenour

Larry Carlton
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/search-handle-url/?index=music&field-keywords=larry%20carlton

Return to Forever (Chick Corea's fusion band of the 70s)
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/search-handle-url/?index=music&field-keywords=return%20to%20forever

Hubert Laws
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/search-handle-url/?index=music&field-keywords=Hubert Laws

Bob James
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/search-handle-url/?index=music&field-keywords=Bob James

Now, about Bob James, and this is my opinion only, his jazz fusion albums of the 70's are now nothing more than elevator music or Muzak. That's too bad because he played some good straight-ahead jazz piano for Paul Desmond, Chet Baker, and other horn players before.

Let me know if the list is what you're looking for.

P.S. Amazon.com should be paying me a commission for promoting links to their site! ;-)

Don

Silver Member

ON

Post Number: 250
wut is the discoveries thread about

British Power,

Discoveries is a thread for exchanging CD, DVD, even book recommendations. Do you think this is something that you can participate in? Remember:

* please try to contribute something of value;
* please be courteous to other posters;
* please do not use this thread as a chat line with other members

You are welcome if you have something useful to post.

Take it easy, kid.

Silver Member

Post Number: 919
o i thought it was actual discoveries. thanks

Silver Member
Username: Jakdaxtersgirl

USA

Post Number: 304
whoa, k leaving...

Silver Member

Post Number: 972
get thre beatles #1 hits cd best

Silver Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 784
Kent Wright: Thanks for the get-back on AcousticSounds. I've got quite a "wish list" posted with them, but have yet to actually place an order. I've found that they have way more SACDs of interest to me than does Amazon.

Still ordering from Amazon - natch!

Latest discs came tonight, and am playing a wonderful Chandos disc (chan 9051) of Mozart and Salieri flute, harp and oboe concertos. It's not SACD, but seems to be very good recorded sound. I've had good luck with the Chandos discs in the past.

Other disc that came I sit here and stare at, but can't play - until my Yammie returns from LaLa land. If you read other threads, you'll know that it had problems, and I sent it back to Yamaha. They said it couldn't be fixed - they're sending me a new one. S5770 - same as S1500 only silver front.

Anyway - the second disc IS a SACD - glorious reviews of the Berlioz Requiem - Robert Spano, Atlanta Symphony and Chorus. A Telarc disc - SACD-60627.

Don RX-1 - you'll be relieved to know that I'm getting some jazz, also! (grin)

Still in the mail is a remastered Mingus album "Mingus Ah Um." It's reported to be a spectacular "pressing" of an old-but-great LP. Do you have the original? Bet you do. . .

Also coming is a disc by Bill Evans - and the SACD version of Miles Davis' "Sketches of Spain." I have the "plain-Jane" CD - but understand that sonically, the SACD runs all 'round it. We'll see. . .

I've frankly been blown away by the sound quality of all but one SACD I've bought - the lone stand-out being a Boston Baroque recording. I think, frankly, that my lukewarm feeling for the disc is due to the fact that the group uses so-called "authentic" instruments. Oldies but goodies? Well - sometimes the sound is gnarly and harsh - as befitting an instrument from the 19th century! (grin)

Will post more - and Don RX-1 - I'm going back thru your jazz list. I'm sure there are things there that must go on my "wish list," as well!

A peaceful night to all - and great music!!

Silver Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 785
PS - where's my good friend, Two Cents? Haven't heard from him in ages - and I know he must have some new tunes to share - perhaps a new Mahler disc? Check in, please, 2C!!

Kent Wright
Unregistered guest
Don RX-1

Thanks alot for the links. Yes, Amazon should at least send you a gift check as a token of appreciation!

I checked all the links you gave (the Deodato doesn't work but don't worry I was able to find the guys albums). So many choices, so little time.

Thanks again.

KW

BTW - "RX-1", are you a doctor? None of my business really. It's a curious name.

Silver Member

Post Number: 988
THE BEATLES DISK

Silver Member

Post Number: 193
BP

You are welcome if you have something useful to post.

The 'useful to post' part doesn't apply to anything you and JDG have shown us to this point. To put it bluntly, Discoveries is another thread where you two are not wanted. Go away and stick to the threads you start.

Silver Member

Post Number: 194
On Friday, I heard a new artist on NPR, Amos Lee. Have since looked him up on the internet and he's been described as "the male Norah Jones" or as "folk-soul". I've only heard 3 complete songs but like them enough to buy the full CD. Love his voice.

You can hear 3 full songs at the following link. My favorite of those is "Soul Sucker".

http://www.giantstep.net/artists/585

Gold Member

Post Number: 1027
that is useful don rx-1 said this is also for recommendations and the beatles disk i recommend

Silver Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 794
Don, et al - as I'm adding (slowly) to my jazz collection - what are the best-sounding Bill Evans albums? If possible, I'm searching for re-mastered or SACD discs. I understand that there may be some new Evans SACDs later this year - but it's only a short comment in one thread, and I can't seem to pin it down.

Interesting that so many people who love classical music also love "good jazz." And vice versa. Perhaps it is the complexity of both art forms? Maybe John A. or Jan V. have opines on this? I know Don and Two Cents do - and I await their replies. . .

To the music. . .

Silver Member

ON

Post Number: 255
Lar,

Here are my recommendations.

Alone (remastered) ** My all-time favourite solo piano album by a jazz artist.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00006C79A

Everybody Digs Bill Evans
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000000Y47

Portrait in Jazz
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00005R8DE

Sunday at the Village Vanguard (20 Bit Mastering)
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00005QY2Q

Tony Bennett & Bill Evans Album
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00008OTU2

Tony Bennett & Bill Evans Album (20-bit remastered)
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00008OTU2

Bill Evans at the Montreux Jazz Festival
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0000069NC

How My Heart Sings
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000000YKL

Waltz for Debby [HYBRID SACD]
Note: I don't have this hybrid format so I have no clue as to its sonic qualities.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000066JLO

Marian Mcpartland's Piano Jazz
(Bill Evans as guest)
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00006EXDN

see my amazon.com review

Silver Member

ON

Post Number: 256
Lar,

As to "best sounding," many of the Evans master tapes are, unfortunately, sonically flawed. When compared with the more superior Brubeck Columbia recordings ("Time Out" for example, was recorded very, very well), the masters by Fantasy records reveal weak spots. There are a number of Evans CD reissues out there where wow-and-flutter significantly mars Evans' piano solos. The 20-bit remastering has improved the sound considerably. But generally, don't have high expectations on the sound. Just close your eyes and enjoy Evans' playing and his interaction with the bassist and the drummer --- the essence of the jazz trio!

Silver Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 798
Don: thanks for the links - I'll consider all, and do some research. I'm trying to find only music I like on a format I like - the best sonically and musically, if you catch my drift.

Still cleaning the computer, so I may not be too responsive for awhile. So far, 348 "baddies" infecting my darling Lola. Sigh.

Nobody's fault, except those who put junk Online, and continue to do so. Dynamite, anybody???

Silver Member

Post Number: 198
Hey Larry,

You didn't seek my opinion but I personally like Bill Evans' "Interplay". To give this recommendation a little more "weight", you could consider it as an indirect recommendation by JV since he sent it to me.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000000YH9

Silver Member

Post Number: 199
Here's a link to an XRCD version of 'Interplay'

http://store.acousticsounds.com/browse_detail.cfm?Title_ID=8649

What is XRCD?

Silver Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 804
SM - thanks, but right now I'm scared to open ANY links! Sigh. Woke up this ayem to find some more "self-opening" spyware. Still house-cleaning. Will get to music a tad later.
Thanx, I appreciate. . .

Silver Member

ON

Post Number: 258
SM,

I've never heard of XRCD before, but thanks for the info. Are you considering this format to add to your collection?

I checked the website and one of the things that caught my interest was the line, "And, unlike some other recent attempts to improve CD sound quality, no additional equipment or add on converter is necessary to fully realize the sonic benefits of the xrcd process."

Not surprisingly, their catalogue teems with Japanese artists (mostly jazz). I also saw a few Artur Rubinstein XRCD's.

And, Larry, I search for Bill Evans XRCD's and found them:

It's OK, it's safe to click on the link.

Thanks again for this new "discovery." Much appreciated, SM!

Silver Member

ON

Post Number: 259
John Coltrane's Giant Steps

Listen and watch the chord structure/changes:

http://www.heplaysjazz.btinternet.co.uk/giants.html

Silver Member

Post Number: 202
Don,

I haven't heard the XRCD before either but may order the Bill Evans "Interplay" to give it a try.

Silver Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 806
SM et al - good idea on the Bill Evans! May follow you there.

Yammie's back - and I had another of my sonic epiphanies late this aft - the new Telarc Berlioz Requiem. Oh, my! Mer and I let the sound wash over us, and got so wound up in the music we almost forgot to eat! Now THAT is a rarity in our house!

Great SACD - Atlanta Symphony, chorus and a raft of extras. Fine sound, and Mer said after the last chord drifted away: "that's the kind of music that makes you see angels." YEP.

More on the Yammie on Old Dogs. . .

Silver Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 810
An overnight of playing, and the Yammie is still going strong.

Further sound-tweaks are reported on Old Dogs - and I hope to get any/all comments on your CD-cleaning efforts.

Did another audition of an old CD this ayem: Claude Bolling's "Suite for Flute and Jazz Piano." My, what a fun disc this is! Jean-Pierre Rampal's first-ever jazz outing, and I think he did a credible job. Not in the same class as "pure" jazz flautists, but within the compositional constraints of Bolling's work, a fine presentation. I highly recommend this CD for "mood-elevating" listening!

More anon. . .

Silver Member

ON

Post Number: 260
Larry,

Add Alexandre Lagoya on classical guitar and you have "Picnic Suite"

A must-have addition to your Bolling collection.

Enjoy.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1035
or i recommend coldplay

Silver Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 813
Don: Ah, yes - Picnic Suite - been meaning to get that for years. I wonder is it's coming out in SACD? Or any other Bolling, for that matter. Such joyous recordings all. . .

Thanks, as always, Don - for the recommendations. I look to you for all things jazz.

I think the first Evans is due tomorrow - so will post a review soonest.

More anon. . .

Silver Member

ON

Post Number: 261
Larry,

Friendly warning: Make sure you and Mer have dinner first before you listen to Bill Evans or else, to paraphrase your earlier post, "you might get so wound up in his playing that you might forget to eat!"

Now, that isn't a rarity in our house. I forget a lot of things when I listen to Evans!

Enjoy your CD, my friend.

Silver Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 817
Don: (grin) fair warning, indeed! Yes, my friend, will do. If he affects me in any way near what Desmond does, wellll. . . . hunger! (grin)

When I come back around next time I want to be either a great pianist or an operatic tenor. Dat's it - that's what I want to be. Not a fireman or a journalist (arggghh!) but a great pianist or operatic tenor. OK? Please??

I think the humidity is getting to me. . .

Silver Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 826
Don RX-1 et al. Right now, in this very room, playing on the Yammie: Bill Evans - Sunday at the Village Vanguard. Hmmm. . . now I may step on some toes here, but I think Mr. Evans may be an acquired taste? He is certainly a "thinking" jazz artist - so much so that, to me, he seems a musician in search of a melody line. Sigh. OK, so hit me!

I'm going to listen to the whole album, then give a more definitive review. The bassist, Scott LaFaro, is certainly a wonder! Perhaps even better than Ray Brown? Hmmm. . .

Didn't I read somewhere that, after this and another Vanguard album were recorded, LaFaro died? Seems that way - I'll Google to see.

anyway - I've still got a couple more jazz CDs coming - Mingus Ah Um should be here within two or three days. Reviews to come.

PS - unlike some of you, I won't forget to eat because I'm so enraptured with Bill Evans. . .

Silver Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 828
OK - after-lunch - second listen to the Evans album. Better this time around - but I still have a very hard time with about a third of the numbers on the disc - they just go nowhere!

And Mr. LaFaro died in a car crash just ten days after this album was recorded. Sigh.

Silver Member

ON

Post Number: 262
One of many biographies of Bill Evans posted on the Net:

http://www.billevanswebpages.com/billbio.html

Scott LaFaro played bass on four albums with the Bill

Evans Trio (with Paul Motian on drums):

Portrait in Jazz
Explorations
Sunday at the Village Vanguard
Waltz for Debby