Archive through May 05, 2005

Gold Member
Username: Myrantz

The Land Dow...

Post Number: 1686
John

Sorry about my little dig, I knew you'd take it in the intended light: dark LOL!

Recommendation - yes
Will you hear a difference - I can't speak for your ears, but I'd be gobsmacked if you couldn't. As far as recommendations go, my first would be for you to sell the T533 and get a universal player. If the new digital conections are important, variable crossover for bass management, super picture quality, full dsd with no down-conversion option or conversion to mlp. Excellent reviews for both hi-res sound ans picture then I'd say the Denon 3910 and no lesser. If the digital connections are'nt that important then the DVD-2900 if you can still get one. However, there have been the odd reports of problems with dualdisc with the newer 2910 and 3910 Denons, none so far with the 2900's. It might be prudent to wait a while until the dualdisc thing has settled down and the manufacturers conform to the format correctly - again, if that is important - and I'd say it will be.

Gold Member
Username: John_a

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 2991
Thanks, My Rantz.

Yes, that is pretty well what I was thinking. Except we get attached to things, so may supplement the NAD with some sort of SACD/CD only. As you said before, and thanks, there will then be a problem with inputs. I will wait and see. I already have more discs than I could ever play. And I do like LP.

There was an implied return dig, old chap: your well-known preference for solid state amplification. Is this just the convenience factor, or do you actually prefer the sound.....

(No, I don't know either, except I remember valve radios).

Larry, OK I give in. Except RVW used the modes, alright. A less metallic composer I cannot imagine.

I think Naxos also has now John Adams "Shaker Loops / Wound Dresser / Short Ride in a Fast Machine" in DVD-a/SACD. I am looking forward to that. Fasten seat belt.

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 2992
BTW I know nothing about Adams except he is a "minimalist". I don't care so much for minimalism. I heard, and tend to agree with, the high-minded phrase "oceanic in its mindlessness". But even if I hate it, I'll learn something. That's part of the fun. And you never know. There are always new things to be discovered.

Gold Member

The Land Dow...

Post Number: 1688
John

Sounds like you need two rooms old bean LOL! Maybe three - each with their own system. Solid state is not a well known preference of mine it is an economical/quality/surround solution and we believe, for the money, we cold not do much better. But to be honest, having several tube amps to provide our surround seems like too much under the hood and not enough driving.

Hope you enjoyed the wedding - quite spiffy - looked for you waving the flag on the roadside but missed you. And of course you passed the blender on to the happy couple?

Silver Member
Username: Larry_r

Naples, FL

Post Number: 944
John A. - sorry, but I guess I'm still a bit of an old-fashioned listener. The VW I like is more melodic than the SQ #2 - and although I bow to you on the "modes" issue, I maintain that - for me personally - what I call "dissonance" is too much in evidence.

OK - I'm a music-commoner. I like to sit down with a glass-ah and listen and enjoy. I do not, like so many academics I know, like to sit down and work my way through compositions. That, to me, is intellectual work, not musical enjoyment.

Many friends will throw sharp-darts at me - but I must be true to my own desires and likes.

Adams - well, a minimalist he is, and on occasion an "interesting" listen. A passing fancy, if you will. But unlike Mr. Glass, who just sits there on a chord and dares you to stay awake! (I fail)

I have the same sort of arguments with fellow opera-lovers. I like Puccini, Bellini and Verdi. Some tell me I am remiss for not liking "the Voyage of Edgar Allen Poe" and "Ghosts of Versailles," but again - they are, to me, compositions to work through, not enjoy. IMHO.
Peter Grimes is, I think, also in the "Poe" camp, with it's challenging and irritating score.

If, sir, you can honestly say that you "like" any piece of music by any composer you name - then I applaud you for your acuity. How can one argue with an individual's personal choices? Outside of a lawyer-duel, it is pointless.

I return to Rolando Villazon - one of the new breed of tenors - a marvelous voice, and a personal favorite of mine. If you get a chance to hear any of his recordings, I look forward to your reaction and review!

Two Cents - are you loading your weapons yet, sir? I have a feeling I'm about to become your target of choice for my comments above! (grin)

More anon. . .respectfully.

Silver Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 945
John A. - after my mini-tirade above, I had to go to my CD library, for I KNEW I had some Adams on disc. Yep - one disc which I had listened to several years ago, then relegated to the so-so section.

It's Adams' Violin Concerto and Shaker Loops - a Nonesuch recording with Adams conducting and Guidon Kremer on violin.

Actually, the concerto steps out of Adams' minimalist mode a bit. Still, as I put it on the player and hit "start" I was instantly taken back to my original reaction - one of "this is an interesting bit of composition, but not one I will put in my 'play often' file."

Scanning Amazon's reviews, I had to laugh at one person who said that Adams' music was best used as background music. Unh-huh - sorta hi-end New Age stuff. For me, anyway. . .

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 2994
Larry.

"Mr. Glass, who just sits there on a chord and dares you to stay awake! "

Like it!

There is also the theory that it is easy to write the "repeat" sign in a bar with "256" written over it. Also, now, that music notation computer programs such as "Sibelius" make it too easy to copy and paste.

Silver Member
Username: Ojophile

Take the Eh Train to g...

Post Number: 289
Tubean Farewell
https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-audio/111344.html#POST290961

My Rantz,

You never cease to amaze me! LOL!
Upload

Cheers!

P.S.
Are you a 'closet' songwriter/lyricist or sumthin' like that? Man, you're good! You oughta be heard by the whole world.

Gold Member

The Land Dow...

Post Number: 1696
Don

Thank you but you are far too kind - I wish I did have that talent (or any talent LOL). It would be good to make music as well as listen. I envy you for that!

Silver Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 946
John A. - re our differences on "modal." I find it hard to discern modal in the RVW pieces - because I keep trying to find Gregorian or Indian scale-patterns in them - the classic forms of modal composition. Perhaps you can school me on what "modal" you find in the quartets? I'd appreciate it.

Got a new Saint-Saens cello CD today - and am going out of my way to learn more about this composer, whose "ORgan" symphony and Carnival of the Animals have been good-friends with me for decades. Quite a composer, this gentleman! Am ordering more of his works - and intend to study up on his life. Thanks to you forum members for the boost towards this study - I appreciate it!

Pain pills for a horrid back - and I'm away to a heating pad, then bed. Sigh. "Old" is a four-letter word, surely. . .

Silver Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 296
Don RX-1,
I thank you for the Jacques Loussier recommendations. I've been listening to his Plays Bach (Telarc CD-82411) for a few days now and it is very impressive. The level of musicianship, not only by Loussier himself, but also by his bass and drums mates is of world-class quality. There are many moments of invention and revelation here.

The linear Baroque style has been very appealing to jazz pianists over the years, and as the album notes point out, musicians such as Fars Waller, James P. Johnson and the great Art Tatum have tried their hands at it. Even the modern jazz disciple Bud Powell released an album on Blue Note titled Bud On Bach.

During the first few minutes of this album, a casual listener--with only a passing familiarity with Bach's works--might conclude that this is another pleasant jazz piano trio recording. But then Loussier's lovely take on the Air on a G String, followed by the Toccata (with the appropriate gravitas) and Fugue (swingin'!) in D Minor comes up and it's obvious that this is no ordinary jazz album. Something different is afoot here.

Then, happily, a favorite closes the album: The Concerto in D Minor. After a short intro, the main theme (see quote A below) is stated. With its bold steps, ascending scale and descending intervals, can there be a better foundation for contrapuntal invention....and improvisation? Here, Loussier takes it to another level, without losing the linear nature of the original. The Adagio, with its pensive and almost melancholic character (quote B). is handled with sensitivity by the trio and the spirit of the original is maintained.

The Allegro (quote C) is as exciting as the first movement, and Loussier's trio does not disappoint. And while the theme may not be as strong as the first movement, the trio makes this a fitting climax to this work....and dare I say even better than the original...

Upload

Silver Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 297
Also let me add that this Loussier Telarc CD is one of the best sounding Red Book CDs I have ever heard. Thanks

Silver Member

Post Number: 290
John S

Glad to hear that you like the Jacques Loussier "Bach" CD. I enjoyed reading your impressions. You brought up an interesting point about how baroque music, [particularly Bach, if I may add], fits well into the jazz idiom. George Shearing quotes a lot of Bach, and Mozart, too, in his solos. On one of his earlier albums with the Shearing Quintet, there's a track called "Get Off My Bach". You can just imagine how it sounds like.

Have a good day!
Don

Silver Member

Post Number: 291
Ten Easy Pieces
Jimmy Webb - the songwriter sings his own songs popularized decades ago by other artists.

I've always had a deep respect for songwriters who usually stay in the sidelines while singers interpret and immortalize their songs. Burt Bacharach, Michel Legrand, Alan & Marilyn Bergman, and one of my favourites, Jimmy Webb are in my short list of modern tunesmiths. In a private e-mail to SimplyMcIntosh, I recommended the album Ten Easy Pieces by Jimmy Webb (click here for details I thought I'd write about the album while listening to the CD at work.

Galveston, Wichita Lineman, and By the Time I Get to Phoenix were all popularized by Glen Campbell.

Didn't We has been covered by Frank Sinatra, Richard Harris, and possibly by a few artists from the defunct Motown label

MacArthur Park and Worst That Could Happen were Top 40 chartbusters. Think Four Tops, Brooklyn Bridge, Fifth Dimension, etc.

Art Garfunkel covered All I Know in his album, "Up 'Til Now". Garfunkel, ah, what a lovely voice he has!

Jimmy Webb does a fair job of singing on Ten Easy Pieces. Like Bacharach and Legrand, his voice can be forgiven. It is, after all, his interpretation of his own works that is the focus of the album. It is honest and free of any affectation and pretense. And, yes, he does the signature romp in MacArthur Park on the piano.

"By The Time I Get To Phoenix" has always been one of my favourite songs. It's witty and IMO, a perfect example of storytelling set in music. Webb hangs on to the last two words, "really go" and the effect is devastating. I'll leave it to the reader to search 'net for lyrics to this gem.

So there you go. If you're not sure, check out your local library if the CD is available; then decide if you want to buy it.

Cheers!

Silver Member

Post Number: 292
My Song
Joe Pass - guitar
(Telarc Jazz)
Click here

Recorded in February, 1993 with John Pisano (rhythm guitar), Tom Ranier(piano, clarinet, soprano and tenor sax), Jim Hughart (bass) and Colin Bailey (drums).

Both the music and sound are excellent.

Silver Member

Post Number: 293
Rob McConnell Tentet
Click here

For those who appreciate the sound of McConnell's The Boss Brass, the Tentet's is no less invigorating and equally rich as the BB's.

Silver Member

Post Number: 294
John S (and other Bach fans):

Still on the subject of jazzed-up Bach, I was wondering if you're familiar with The Swingle Singers and their album Jazz Sebastien Bach. Click here

I had 2 LP's of the Swingle Singers a long time ago --- a Christmas album and I'm pretty sure this Jazz Bach. Anyway, I thought I'd let you know.

Silver Member

Post Number: 295
(OK, I'm home nursing a nasty cold & cough combo + some body aches, that's why I've been busy posting on this thread.)

John S, Larry, et al:

A while back on https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/music/38578.html#POST275519 , I mentioned a Victor Feldman LP that I had where he played some beautiful jazzed-up Chopin pieces. Well, I found a link to the CD version and some samples. However, when I posted the URL, the '84914' was placed in front of the link text string. So, as a workaround, I suggest

a) cutting-n-pasting the link into Notepad;
b) stripping away the "84914%2C00.html"

The actual URL should start with the http

84914%2C00.html,http://www.artistdirect.com/nad/store/artist/album/0,,84914,00.html

Mr. Feldman was one of those rare musicians: he played drums, vibes and piano with equal ease.

(Forget amazon.com for this CD. It doesn't appear to be available as a new item on their site at the moment).

Thanks and cheers!

Upload
better than cough syrup!

Gold Member

The Land Dow...

Post Number: 1721
Don,

I hope you get better quickly - not much fun when all the canals are blocked up and the music doesn't come through properly!

My Song - Joe Pass looks good to me, Thanks.

Silver Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 954
Don: I feel your (sinus) pain, my friend! Way back when I lived up Nawth I think I spent half my life under the influence of decongestants.

Nice, warm/hot toddies seem to help better than most. Hope you're getting your share!

Sending warm/healing vibrations your way, with hopes for speedy recovery!

The Joe Pass album sounds like a keeper. . .

Silver Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 299
Don---Hope it's only the 24 hour flu...if so, you should be feelin' better now, eh?

Well, I'm off to see Joey DeFrancesco tonight! There's nothing like a greasy Hammond B3 trio to make me happy!

Silver Member

Post Number: 296
MR / Larry / John S

Thanks for the well wishes. I'm feeling just a tad better. Back to work today --- I'm a self-employed contract guy --- so no work, no pay :-(, can't afford another sick day --- "contract"? --- go figure.

Well, this prescription works for me:

1 cup twice a day
Upload

1 pint at lunchtime to prevent dehydration and help the body absorb nutrients
Upload

1 shot at dinner time to suppress hacking, dry cough
Upload

re: Joey DeFrancesco, oh yeah! Have a fun evening, John S.

Silver Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 958
Don: Thanks for the "referral" - sigh.

FYI - Time magazine this week - interesting article on the spread of opera and other performances on DVD. Hope the idea spreads!

Silver Member

Post Number: 297
Larry,

The Mozart 40th symp. by Szell/Cleveland you mentioned in Old Dawgs -- is that an SACD? If it's a CD, can you please provide some details (label, stereo or mono, etc.) How's the sound like? I've listened to a lot of '40' recordings that I have yet to pin down the one that I will definitely keep. Did Ormandy and the Phila. Orch. record it, too? (fyi: I'm not a true Mozart fan; but spare me your darts. It's just my own musical quirkiness.)

Thanks.

Silver Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 960
Don: Yeah, it's Sony Classical SACD - DSD remastered. Yum sound. SS 89340.

I'm sure Ormandy recorded it also - but the reviewers give this disc the thumbs-up, and I heartily concur. Symphonies 39 and 40, plus "Exsultate Jubilate, K.165. Very good!
But stereo, not 5.1 - which doesn't bother me at all. . .

Besides, you don't have to be a "true Mozart fan," it's OK to like Coltrane, Evans and Desmond, etc! (grin)

Silver Member

Post Number: 298
John S,

As a follow-up to the "Loussier Plays Bach", you may want to consider another Loussier album, The Bach Book / 40th Anniversary Album", also on Telarc Jazz - click here for details

I love both albums. Personally, I find that Loussier's innovative yet sensitive arrangements take the stiffness out of baroque music. Mind, my opinion only, of course.

Silver Member

Post Number: 299
Larry / John S / MR / et al

I've been on a CD buying spree lately. Blame it on my easy access to CD's at our local library. I can audition the albums that I want at no cost and decide which ones I should buy. It won't be long before I wear out the mag-stripe on my credit card!

BTW, there's a drum solo on the Allegro (I) movement of the Brandenburg No. 5 in D major. JSB would have found it revolting! :-)

Silver Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 962
Don: Funny you should mention credit card striping, I just had one card replaced - the stripe was worn through! You are not alone, sir, in your CD-purchasing!

In my case, I'm trying to replace a lot of discs that I gave to our library - mostly early-80s DG discs - and am replacing as best I can with SACDs or later CDs.

I know - just as soon as I get a decent SACD library, along will come Blu-Ray or solid-state "credit card" media - something to make even the SACD outdated! Happens ev-ry time to me. I bet early on Beta - and look what happened! Hmmm. . .VHS. Should have bought stock! (grin)

One or two Loussier discs are definitely in my buying-future - with thanks to you!

More anon. . .

Gold Member
Username: Rick_b

New York USA

Post Number: 1058
Hi All,

Half a lifetime ago, I listened to a superb recording (LP) of Elgar's "The Dream of Gerontius". Can anyone recommend a really good CD based performance of this piece?

Silver Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 965
Rick: Don't know about you, sir, but "half a lifetime" ago for me - - heck, they were still using wax cylinders to record! (grin)

OK - I have "the" CD set to recommend to you - my very own choice and one that I believe to be one of the best in existence.

EMI 73579 - Sir John Barbirolli and the Halle' Orchestra, with a cast of, well, hundreds. One of the things that sets this 2-disc set apart is the vocalization of Dame Janet Baker. Wow! When she starts singing it is just plain magic.

This is a fairly new CD set, so it takes advantage of later recording practices, and the sound I consider very, very good. Oh, there are other sets - and some with even more compositions on them - but I do not hesitate to recommend this one.

I think you can read about it on either Acoustic Sounds or certainly Amazon? Let me know if you can't find any reviews, and I'll "google" some more on it.

Respectfully. . .

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 2998
Rick,

BBC Radio 3's "CD review" had two recommendations:

First Choice: Gladys Ripley, Heddle Nash, Dennis TESTAMENT SBT 2025 (2-CD)
Noble, Norman Walker, Huddersfield Choral Society, (COMPLETE RECORD COMPANY)
Liverpool PO, Malcolm Sargent
(c/w Cello Concerto - perf. Paul Tortelier, BBC SO)

Stereo Recording Choice: Dame Janet Baker, EMI CMS 7 63185-2 (2-CD)
Richard Lewis, Kim Borg, Hallé Choir, Sheffield (mid-price)
Philharmonic Chorus, Ambrosian Singers,
Hallé Orchestra, Sir John Barbirolli
(c/w Sea Pictures - perf. Dame Janet Baker, LSO)

There are more recent recordings. I do not have Gerontius myself, cannot comment from personal experience.

Link (small Word file) http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio3/cdreview/buildingalibrary/bal9798.doc

Bach and Jazz: no surprise. I heard the JL Play Bach trio live, once.

I always think you can hear the sort of "jazz" JSB came up with in the concertos for 2,3 and 4 harpsichords. It was his instrument. He must have jammed away with his friends, and then written some down for people who could not themselves improvise on a figured bass, so they didn't miss out.

Gold Member

New York USA

Post Number: 1059
Larry & John,

Thank you both for the input. Larry you are the man. Your recommendation is the one I was set to buy. I think I will. John, this sounds like an updated performance with much of the same players, that you recommend. I will share my impressions in due time. Thanks again.

PS- It's nice to have you back on the forum John.

Silver Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 966
Rick: I think you'll enjoy this version - and there are several variants on Elgar's basic composition. Looking forward to your review!

And yes, John - welcome "home."

Silver Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 967
Rick: After some rigorous research, it would appear that John A's "Dream" and my version are one and the same. Sheep in sheep's clothing, as it were.

EMI recorded this amazingly-good 2-disc set with Barbirolli back in 1964 - then it finally just slipped out of the catalogs. EMI later brought it back - I think polished up a bit - under the "EMI Classics" label - which is what I've got.

I'm trying to get more information - but it would appear that John A's EMI performance IS the same. What I do NOT know is - has the later catalog number been electronically up-graded. I see no evidence of that, but will check some more.

Any Old Dogs who may have better info than I do, please hep me out, here! I still maintain that the discs have marvelous sound quality, and thus I'm happy with them!

Silver Member

Post Number: 300
There is a Naxos recording available at our local library. Also, on the Naxos website, here's the info:
http://www.naxos.com/mainsite/NaxosCat/naxos_cat.asp?item_code=8.553885-86

I know John A. is quite pleased with the overall sound quality of the Naxos CD's that he has. Am I correct in assuming that?

I don't know this Elgar work, therefore, I have no basis for comparo, sound- and performance-wise. I'll borrow the CD anyway to give it a serious 'listen'.

But... I defer to Larry on the final recommendation.

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 2999
There was a performance at the RFestivalHall in Feb by the New Queen's Hall Orchestra and it got outstanding reviews. Whether they will record it I do not know.

NQHO play instruments true to the time. Apparently it applies to late 19th and early 20th century. Especially brass and woodwind. I know you are not an "original instruments" fan, Larry, but the critics seemed to agree that that Gerontius was exceptional for the balance.

Don,

Yes. Naxos contracts out recording to small local oufits, usually, and these invariably have high standards. So there is no "Naxos sound" but all the recordings are high quality. They are "budget price" only because they do not sign up superstars or have a huge back catalogue. But they do support the young and aspiring, and I can recommend the Bournmouth Symphony Orch and chorus from other discs I have . So I would be happy to get that Gerontius. Click on "About this recording".

I shall one day sit and listen to Gerontius in the sort of way I listen to Mahler: at arm's length. I do not subscribe.

The contemporary blockbuster I take both to mind and heart is Vaughan William's "Sea Symphony". The Bournmouth people do that really well on another Naxos CD - AND on DVD-A (which I have) AND SACD.

When the New Queen's Hall Orch do that I will be first in the queue. If they could get Bryn Terfel and Felicity Lott for the soloists....

Thanks for the welcome back, guys. Had a tough week. Worth it, though; we did well. I will have to become a weekend poster.

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 3001
http://www.concert-diary.com/home/concert_details.asp?id=42332&ref=13&back=true

"....the very last concert given on the afternoon of May 10th. 1941 in Queen's Hall, before it was destroyed by German bombing that night, was The Dream Of Gerontius. This will be the first time in sixty years that this work will be heard performed in London with the orchestral sounds and balance which Elgar would have expected when he scored the work and later conducted so many times."

BTW The site is now an office block with a pretty good "Pizza Express" at ground level.

Silver Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 969
John A. - fascinating information, sir! May have to audition the Naxos disc(s). Although you are quite right in my anti-OI feelings, I may have to revise them. . .always possible, even for an Olde Dawg.

Wow - from Elgar to Pizza - strange how this world does turn!

Gold Member

New York USA

Post Number: 1065
Hi All,

I just listened to Haydn's String Quartet in B Flat Major Op. 1, No. 1. Having heard this piece for more than 30 years, does anyone else agree with me that the Adagio is one of the most beautiful pieces of music ever written. It gets me every time.

Gold Member

The Land Dow...

Post Number: 1739
Well, I don't! Because:

(a) can't say that I've heard it.

(b) not fussed in string quartets (though I do like a girl in a string bikini to B in A flat by the C with me - where I can B# providing my wife doesn't make A major scene if she happens to B in A flat by the C with me too - that would B A Major catastrophy ).

Silver Member

Post Number: 301
David Clayton Thomas

Heard a couple of songs on the radio today from the new album, Aurora by David Clayton Thomas. I liked his cover version of Billie Holiday's "Don't Explain" is pretty good.

Here's DCT's official website

http://www.davidclaytonthomas.com/home.html

The "Aurora" jukebox webpage is slow; wouldn't load.

MR,

G, don't let the Missus C what the F you're doing in A flat with a girl like that! Where would you be Haydn when the wife comes?

Silver Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 979
My Rantz and Don: OUCH!! (grin)

Silver Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 980
Rick: sorry, my friend, but I can't conjur up that quartet at the moment. Sure I've heard it, though! Will go to the library in the ayem to see if I can find it. . .

Silver Member

Post Number: 302
Music moguls trumped by Steve Jobs?

click --> CNET.com article

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 3017
Nice one, Don. Go, Jobs.

Apart from downloads, a nice thing about iPod and iTunes is that you can choose your own format and point of trade-off between compression and sound quality. You can have 16-bit 44.1 kHz PCM if you want; same as CD. Then send it wirelessly to your hifi, via Airport Express.

Thanks for the recommendation, Rick. I do not know that one. It must be the first ever string quartet. I recall he wrote for amateurs to play, and did not make too many demands. Look what he started. Personally, I think all composers gave their best in that genre. There is a simplicity and economy there.

Silver Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 301
All,
Haydn wrote over 80 string quartets (so much music, so little time!). The first few were written for the amusement of the nobility. Haydn didn't originate the idea of writing for four stringed instruments, but it was he who developed the sting quartet as we know it today. Every string quartet composer after--from Mozart to Bartok--owes him a debt.

Don, I see the new David Clayton Thomas album contains an old favorite: Mose Allison's "Parchman Farm." Love to hear it. Of course, his site doesn't list the very first BS&T album "Child Is Father to the Man" (1968) which he wasn't on.

Just make sure the D lightful girl in the G string by the C isn't A minor.

Silver Member

Post Number: 303
Just make sure the D lightful girl in the G string by the C isn't A minor.

Like that, Larry? Upload

Good one, John S. My right hand is reaching into my back pocket (again) to fish out the credit card for that DCT CD. I have to stop this madness. I think I need help, professional help. Upload

John A / SimplyMcIntosh:

You're the two people in this forum that I know who have iPod's. Re: those earbuds, are they any better than the earbuds that come with other portable players? Or do you recommend buying a better pair of headphones? Also, can you control the bass/tone on the iPod?

Silver Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 982
John S. - thanks for the Haydn info - have pretty much overlooked him recently. . .

And your "letter-play" is classic, sir! Very good!

Don: Careful, my friend - think of all the strain you put on arm and back whilst reaching way back for that liddle card! Easy, ole chap! The pain of spending may not quite approach the pain of straining! (grin)

John A. - ah, yes - good point: "simplicity and economy." No wonder Rick listens - he and I share a commonality of spirit, with our philosophy of simple elegance. Economy fits in nicely. Good point.

Gold Member

New York USA

Post Number: 1067
I think John S. is right on the money about Haydn. When it comes to string quartets, he is the man. I mean that with all due respect to other composers.

John A, Larry,

Yes, simple elegance. I am in such good company.

Cheers to all!

Silver Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 988
Rick: Yes, you are, sir. In good company, that is! (double grin) And we feel the same, if I may speak for John A.

You all have added so much to our lives - for which we rather consistently thank you!

Gold Member

New York USA

Post Number: 1069
No sirs, I thank you!

Silver Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 994
Rick: Oh, yeah? (grin) Well, we thanked you first! (doubled-over laughs)

Silver Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 995
John S. - thank you, sir, for putting me "back" on the Haydn track. I've frankly overlooked him for years - going, as I have, with the Beethoven string quartets as kinda "reference" recordings.

guess some brain-shock is good for the system - at least for this Old Dawg. I'm looking into your suggestions now - with great thanks. . .

Sigh - so much music - so little time!!! At nearly age 69, this is more truth than you can imagine! (grin)

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1001
To all: speaking of "simple elegance." I guess this is it. My coming of age - into the Gold Member designation. Clink glasses if you will, for I humbly join the ranks of the Great. . .

Silver Member

Take the Eh Train

Post Number: 306
Congratulations, Larry!

Cheers!
Upload

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1003
Don: Thanks, my good friend. Nice graphics, too!

Respectfully. . .

Gold Member

New York USA

Post Number: 1070
Larry,

Yours should read Solid Gold. Congratulations!

Gold Member

New York USA

Post Number: 1071
Larry,

As you rediscover Hadyn, please do so with anything performed by the Alban Berg String Quartet. Perfection guaranteed. Cheers!

Silver Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 302
Larry,
Solid Gold Member is right. Congratulations!

Upload

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1006
All: Thanks for the best wishes - and neat graphics! Appreciated. . .

Rick: interesting - I've always associated the Alban Berg quartet with "modern" music. Will check them out - with thanks, sir!

Nothing like a "new old" composer and his compositions to keep the little gray cells in motion! (grin)

Silver Member
Username: Two_cents

Post Number: 575
Larry,

Congrats to the newest gold member! It's a celebration of quantity and quality.

I'm not sure if you classify Ravel and Debussy as "modern", but the Alban Berg Quartet give a wonderful performance of their respective string quartets. I think it's an Angel/EMI disc.

Silver Member

Take the Eh Train

Post Number: 309
Janis Ian's thoughts on downloading music

Audio Enz magazine article, May 2005 --> click here

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1010
Two Cents: Thank you, sir. I'm always ready to admit my failings or misunderstandings - will do more research on the Berg quartet. Are Ravel and Debussy "Modern?" Uh, no, I don't really consider them as such - in the style of Varesse, Bruckner and Messiaen. So - I'll try to give them a listen!

Sigh - so much music, so little time. . . . .

Gold Member

New York USA

Post Number: 1076
Larry,

May I suggest the The Alban Berg Quartet performing Haydn's String Quartets Qp.33 No.3 and Op.77 Nos.1 and 2. (CD,EMI 5 57474 2)

This is a recording of exceptional merit, and the sound quality is......well, they are there in the room with you. Truly wonderful.

Silver Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 303
Yesterday I went out on a Haydn quartet search at a local chain store. Came up empty in the regular Haydn section, but then hit pay dirt. Hundreds of Naxos discs for $7.99US! Plus, it was 10% off all classical discs day. I could have easily walked out with a dozen assorted recordings, but I decided to be a little more selective. Ended up with

• Haydn String Quartets Op. 76 Nos. 1,2,3 Kodaly Quartet (1989 Budapest)

• Shostakovich 24 Preludes and Fugues, Op.87 K. Scherbakov, piano (1999 St. Martin's Church, Berkshire, UK) (two discs, 142 min)

• Vaughan Williams A Sea Symphony (Symphony No. 1) Bournemouth Sym. Chorus & Orch. Paul Daniel (2002 Poole Arts Centre, UK)...I couldn't resist this in deference to John A., who's mentioned this work once or twice as I recall.

I've only listened to the Haydn, so far. Back later.

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1013
Rick: Thanks so much! I'm going to try to audition it on Amazon - if can't - will order on your recommendation. See how much I trust your judgement? (grin)

John S. - Ain't sudden bargains wunnerful!!! An "epiphany" if I ever heard of one! (grin) Yes, please let us all know of your auditioning. But you said nothing of the Haydn - did you like it, and the recording itself?

Sigh - I'm padding along, trying to keep up with my own music-research (and disc-buying, Don!!!) and now I get even more good advice. Giving the ole computer and both Amazon and Acoustic Sounds sites a real workout! Which, of course, they love!

Wife is away on art league business today, so I can audition to my heart's content - at full volume. Marriage is fine - but too much togetherness spoils the listening! (grin)

More anon. . .

Silver Member

Take the Eh Train

Post Number: 310
Marriage is fine - but too much togetherness spoils the listening!

ooooh... be careful with that statement, my friend. Be very careful. Don't Wine, Women and Song mix? Or has multi-channel, surround-sound changed all that?

Also taking John A's recommendation, I borrowed several Naxos CD's from the library ranging from classical guitar to Elgar's symphonic works. I'm pleased with both the sound and performance and must admit that I've ignored the Naxos brand simply because I prefer Telarc, RCA Red Seal and their artists. I was wrong. These Naxos CD's are good value for your money and ears. Thanks, John A., for leading me down the path of "righteousness." John S, the Naxos CD sell between Canadian $9.99 and $11.99 here. Not bad, not bad. Telarcs sell for twice. Ready to reach into my pocket... 1... 2... 3...

I'm listening right now to "Cavatina -- Highlights from The World's Greatest Guitar Collection" Naxos 8.554400C, featuring mostly Norbert Kraft. Unfortunately, the liner notes are missing as they are always with library items. But this is certainly a keeper. I'll be buying one and will add it to my guitar collection of Christopher Parkening, Andres Segovia, John Williams, Julian Bream, Angel Romero, etc.

Gold Member

New York USA

Post Number: 1077
John S,

Super find. I have that same Haydn CD. Enjoy them all!

Larry,

You are welcome as always. I'm sure you will enjoy it. I know what you mean about too much togetherness spoiling the listening. That's why I insisted on a dedicated listening room for the Florida home, and got the ok. I think instead of a single listening chair, I'll have to go with a pair. That's for when you come to visit Larry! I truly look forward to that. Speaking of which, it is now summer weather in New York. It's been in the low 80's and feels like Florida. I am so ready to move. I should have the house on the market in about 6 weeks. Make room Skink, here I come. LOL!

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1017
Don RX-1 - Let me set you straight on thing, young man: wine, women and song ONLY blend when the music is Background Music. Only then. (grin)

Careful with that back-pocket reaching! You might wind up with a Kegger-back! Ouch!

Unnerstand the guitar collection, as I have one, also. Christopher Parkening is a favorite, as is Leona Boyd.

Naxos, here I come! Wallet be-dammmmmed. (grin)

Rick: Sigh. Drool. A "dedicated listening room." Tears falling slowly. . .always have hoped for one, but in only one of our many houses have I actually HAD one! It was so great that I began taking snacks, then meals, into it. Merri was allowed - but only if she stopped with her "daily news" and promised to listen only. It worked - some of the time. Then we moved. . .again. (grin)

Get yourself a couple of "stressless" chairs - which signals to your wife that she is not excluded - and you only HAVE to fill one of them, you know! (get a cat for the other one?)

Respectfully. . .

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1018
Rick and John S. - have now auditioned as much of the Haydn discs as Amazon will allow - and have, for the moment, added two of the Naxos discs with the Kodaly quartet to my "wish list."

I'll be out of the city most of next week - so I won't order anything until I get back. Then, look out wallet, here I come! (grin)

As I go through ALL of my CD library, looking and listening for the good, bad and ugly - I still marvel that the NAD and B&Ws point up the BAD sound perhaps even more than the good! REcordings that I listed as "marginal" years ago now sound horrible! And conversely, CDs that I cherish sound even better! As Jan V. and others have pointed out to me time after time, the quality of equipment used for playback certainly "unmasks" what is or is not on the CDs.

More anon. . .

Silver Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 306
Larry, don't thank me for the Haydn thing...it was Rick who brought it up first, and I thank him for that. I too have neglected Haydn for a long time, and intend to do some correction in that area as time allows.

Rick, I have not heard the adagio of Op. 1 No. 1, but through some research I understand it is a very beautiful, long, Italianate melody accompanied by simple harmony. Apparently, it is the high point in all his early quartets. I will acquire it soon.

My new Haydn Naxos disc is a revelation. The six quartets grouped in Opus 76 is Haydn at the height of his creative power (at age 65) and are the apex of his string quartets. The first three quartets in this group (on this disc) exhibit surprising complexity, particularly in their first and last movements. Special mention should be made of the gorgeous adagio in No.1, enhanced by the Kodaly Quartet's uncanny vibrato synchronisation. This movement should be transcribed for string orchestra. The extra "beef" supplied by the bass viols would make for some extaordinary music.

It should also be noted that the adagio melody of No.3 (the 'Emperor') is now Germany's national anthem: "The Song of Germany". Earlier, it had different lyrics and was known as "Deutschland Uber Alles" in the Third Reich days.

The precision of the playing and the palpable exuberance of the Kodaly Quartet's performance here more than makes up for the slightly brittle digital recording, in my opinion.

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1029
John S. - duly noted, sir - and as always, I thank Rick for countless grand suggestions and comments. It is my mind-slip that oft-causes the problems! (grin)

I have on my Amazon "wish list" the Kodaly quartet CDs - 2 of them. But now I'm wondering - you say "brittle" recording? Oh, dear - I'm getting rid of all my "brittle" discs. Sigh. I assume you have the discs marked 1991 or 92? That was release date - but I don't know the actual recording date. If it was prior to 1987 I'd be reticent to purchase - EXCEPT - that I usually get such great sound from Naxos! Hmmm. . .

And I love your term: "palpable exuberance." Sounds like a workout to me! (grin)

Gold Member

New York USA

Post Number: 1081
John S,

I couldn't agree with you more regarding Haydn, in your last post. May you discover, or rediscover many hours of listening pleasure.

Larry,

Likewise, and my compliments, as always.

Silver Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 307
Larry,
From that tiny red laser all the way to the brain, we all have different equipment and therefore different perception. My use of the word "brittle" may have been a little, well, too hard. Maybe "overly bright" is better. Anyway, please don't let me talk you out of trying this disc. Considering the cost of these Naxos discs, it's a no-brainer, imo. Besides, I'd love to read your opinion on it.

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1035
John S. - OK - first, will take a "second listen" on Amazon - then probably order. Sigh. How come I always weaken? (grin) Cranial vacuum? Hmm. . .

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 3021
I have the Naxos Kodaly "Emperor" and "Sunrise" Qts and it is very good.

The op 76 I have on Hyperion, the Salomon Qt., LP. Excellent.

Do not forget that Mozart wrote a whole set modelled on the Haydn Qts Op76. Then there are the Beethoven "Early" quartets, op 18, many (esp No 5) modelled, in turn, on the Mozart "Haydn" quartets.

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1036
John A. - thank you, sir! BTW, is there any piece of music that you DON'T have on LP or CD? (grin)

Yes,had forgotten about Mozart's output. Have a Toyko String Quartet version of the Beethoven early quartets - heard them live performing two of them a couple of years ago. Simply wonderful musicians!

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 3022
Beethoven Op. 18 No 5 was written as a tribute to one of the Mozart "Haydn" quartets, I think K464 (from memory). That is one of the great compliments. Both in A major with a theme and variations for the third movement.

People indeed wrote for stringed instruments before Haydn, Rick, but never (I think) specifically for two violins, viola, and cello. So Haydn is generally credited with starting the string quartet.

Larry, I have only dipped a toe in what is available. I listen to the radio a bit more these days, and I hear so much music I like. I used to think music stopped after Beethoven. It ain't so!

Like many people, I started with the legendary Beethoven Late Quartets, then worked back. All that man's quartets are brilliant, in my opinion. Same for Mozart. I have very few Haydn, but Rick whets my appetite.

It is as if composers turned to the string quartet when they had something special, or new, to say. And I think they were all aware of the giants who had gone before, and did all they could to produce something that would stand comparison.

Silver Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 308
It's easy to think of Haydn playing prince to Mozart's king, but Haydn may finally be getting the credit he deserves. I have to keep reminding myself that Mozart (1756-1791) lived entirely within Haydn's (1732-1809) lifetime. And that they influenced each other at various times. And that Beethoven was Haydn's student for a while.

Speaking of radio, I heard the Sibelius Sym. No. 7 recently. What a bit of beautiful music! Must have a copy. I understand Rattle/Birmingham on EMI is exceptional....into the pocket...1...2...3...

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1037
John A. - great posting, sir! But if you've only "dipped a toe" - you must have a very large toe, sir! (grin)

Yes - the radio CAN bring much that is good - if selective tuning is used. Sigh. Here in Swampville we only get one NPR station - and that one is marginal. The BBC would be SO welcome here! I get it at night on short wave. . .

John S. - very good points to remember re Mozart and Hayden time-lines!

I urge you, sir - please be careful with that pocket-reach. I understand that Don RX-1 recently sprained a wrist while doing that! (double grin) Set his piano-playing back by months!!!

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 3024
Agreed, JOHN S. Mozart took the String Qt on, though. The six he dedicated to Haydn are a case in point.

BTW Before Haydn, the genre most comparable to what the String Qt. was to become was the trio sonata. I heard Charles Medlam of London Baroque say that on the radio yesterday. Corelli did not "invent" the trio sonata but he took it to what, at the time, was thought to be its peak of perfection.

I heard Rattle/Birmingham SO perform Mahler 7 once. We, which includes the future Mrs A, had cheap seats, facing forward, right over the brass section. The last movement was like sailing or flying in some vast ship. I personally have a "background" problem with Sibelius, too, but he wrote some fantastic, very accessible and hummable stuff, there is no denying it.

I am not sure this will be so interesting to many here, but I had the opportunity yesterday to go to a huge record store, after listening to part of "CD review" in the morning. The premium CDs they feature are about £15 these days. There was an outstandingly good pair of Haydn symphonies by the Freiburger Baroque Orchestra, on Harmonia Mundi. I always wonder about the BBC's CD players. What comes out of the radio seems better than what comes out of my player!

Anyway, being cost-conscious, I looked at the "bargain" counter.

Gee whiz, the stuff you can get on special offer. I recently got the whole Beethoven Qts. by the Lindsay Qt., and they now have the whole cycle by the Alban Berg Qt. for about £16. I was very tempted, but already have five other complete sets. They also had two cycles of Beethoven symphonies for £9.99. Don't laugh - one was The Roger Norrington LCP cycle which I already have, acquired in the 80s, bit by bit, and at full price. They are now sold under "Virg.n Classics" which seems to have become a subsidiary of EMI.

What I bought, just because I do not have any Beethoven symphonies here right now, was the Charles Mackerras/Liverpool set on Classics for Pleasure, also £9.99 - ridiculous. I came home and played No. 1. Fantastic, in every way; sound, performance, the lot. Mackerras splits the violins. The "Early music" movement has had such a good effect even on mainstream orchestras and performers. CfP has always had outstanding sound engineers, imho, and other people's ho. Beethoven is sort of picking up the thread from Mozart in those early symphonies. You would be hard pressed, from my untutored point of view, to tell Beethoven No. 1 was not Mozart Syphony No. 42. Same with early Beethoven Qts. Sublime.

I also bought the 2005 CD release of the 1963 recording of Elgar's Cello Concerto with LSO/Barbirolli and Jaqueline Du Pre. That is supposed to be one of the all-time classic sound recordings. If anyone is interested, I will post when I have listened to it. Not wishing to sound cheap, but - £8.99. Ridiculous.

Larry, you can get BBC Radio 3, streamed on the internet.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/aod/radio3.shtml

Also, they archive "CD review" and there is a link on that page, so you need not get up at 4 a.m. Eastern Time. They get lots of letters and e-mails from US. By the way, they had a review of all recordings of Sibelius "Four Legends" in the latest issue, 30 minutes in. They also publish the full play-list on
http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio3/cdreview/pip/jbgnd/

... from which I see they are covering all recordings of Haydn String Qts. Op. 76 next Saturday, 30 April. Coincidence. Those reviews are always interesting.

I do recommend them to Rick and JOHN S, too. Even streamed. Which must be better than short wave. You do get some idea of what the sound is going to be like on disc. The web stream was one of my only links with sanity for years - there was nothing even remotely approaching it over there.

Now I can get it on real stereo FM. What a pleasure.

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1038
John A. - well, sir, you made my day! I should have known about the BBC-streaming, but am so glad for your link(s) I do appreciate all!!

Ah, the du Pre Elgar. Sigh. Yes, that is one of "the" recordings! The first time I heard one of her records I knew there was a special "magic" about her playing. In person (I have only seen videos) she was vivacious and almost over-the-top with her movements and facial features - she seemed to be trying to send music through her every pore. Quite something to see! Of course, that led to many detractors, who said that a "proper" cellist would never go through her gyrations. Right. . .

Sounds like you got some fine bargains, John! I wish we had a decent "record store" hereabouts. We do have Barnes & Noble Booksellers, with their usual Music section - but the classical and opera sections are, shall I say, "pitiful." And the clerks still don't know what "SACD" means. Sigh.

So - like My Rantz - I get most of my discs from Acoustic Sounds or Amazon.com. Aside from the real excitement of poring over record racks, getting the discs in what Mer calls Neo-Christmas Presents is a lot of fun, as well.

Away to some yard work and then some catch-up reading. Went through one of Ameruka's latest fad-books: "French Women Don't Get Fat" yesterday. Hmmm. . . If you want the book in a nutshell, here goes.

French women eat slowly, and small portions. They never snack, but they eat anything they want, including fatty meats and chocolate. They drink wine once or twice a day, but only a glass or sometimes two. They never drink "hard" liquor. They walk whenever and wherever they can. They drink water all day long, a little bit at a time. They take pride in their bodies, and try to treat them with respect.

that's about it. Saved you some money. It's a "nice" book, and reaffirms what many nutritionists have been preaching for decades - "moderation in all things." Very, very difficult for Americans - because we are barraged with "supersize this" from all points of the compass. Sigh. (burp)

More anon, with respect. . .

Gold Member

New York USA

Post Number: 1092
Some people treat their body like a temple, others like an amusement park............ LOL!

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 3029
Thanks, Larry; thanks Rick.

I do warmly recommend the MacKerras/RLPO Beethoven symphony cycle on CfP - do you get that label in US? I have extolled that a bit more on Old Dogs, having got as far as No. 3 (Eroica). The set also has excellent notes. The shop was The HMV Shop, Oxford St., by the way. They do mail order, too. I think it is a much the same as the big "Tower Records" stores I remember in US. They basically have everything in stock that is currently in the catalogue. You can browse in there for hours. What a change from the other place, where stores had little in stock, offering no choice, and often charged premium price for budget-label discs. I suppose it is a question of supply and demand.

BTW, re "modern" music, Naxos, String Quartets, and political attitude - listen to the first section - "recent releases" - on the current "CD Review".
http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/aod/networks/radio3/aod.shtml?radio3/cdreview

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1039
John A. - thanks for the link, and the further info.

Rick - Can't decide how I treat my tody, but it is revolting! (grin)

Will be away from the forum for the week - joining friends down in Key West for some festivities and liquid attitude-adjustment. Shall return next weekend - a threat, for sure! (grin)

Have at least a decent week, all!

Oh Ryan!
Unregistered guest
Listen2 Global Rock Stream:

http://circlecore.iuma.com

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 3055
http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio3/cdreview/pip/xn834/
HAYDN String Quartets, Op.76
Reviewer: Richard Wigmore
First Choice:
Mosaique Quartet (recorded 1998, 2000)
ASTREE E8665 (2-CD)

That was the reviewer's clear choice. I agreed, for what it's worth, and from the extracts he played, and his comments. Anyone thinking of getting the op.76 could do worse than listen to the 45-min review. It is very good. There is also some serious competition and not everyone will agree with that single "bottom line". Larry, for example, is not into gut strings, as I recall, and might prefer several others.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/aod/networks/radio3/aod.shtml?radio3/cdreview

BTW Anyone unconvinced about sound quality and DG, you can even hear it in the review: I'll bet the Amadeus were on DG. There was another, outstanding 60s recording, too;, I forget the name of the Qt and label.

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1045
John A. et al - back from Key West and glad to be out from under a constant barrage of bad rock music. Only good music I heard was a fine Celtic harp and recorder-player aboard a wonderful 1939 Schooner. Took a day trip and it was fine. Most of Key West is dirty, cheap-touristy and booze-sloshed. Hmmm. . .

Am in decompression stage.

More anon. . .

Gold Member

New York USA

Post Number: 1114
John,

Thanks for the Haydn tip. I have the Op.76 Nos.1-4 on Naxos by the Kodaly Quartet. I will see if I can give this a listen.

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1049
John A. and Rick: You MUST get these CDs! I just received the vol. 1 from Acoustic Sounds, after reveling in vol. 2 earlier. Sigh. If you hear these you will NEVER forget them!

Oh, yes - almost forgot: "they" are Saint-Saens piano concertos - and I've simply never heard such performances!

Audite 92.509 (hybrid SACD) is the vol. 1 I got today. Mer and I turned it up and absolutely vibrated with the music!

Done by Anna Malikova, piano - and Thomas Sanderling conducting the sinfonieorchester Koln. Cologne, in Anglophile language. Sigh.

If you audition or buy these discs you will wonder just how the good woman ever plays all those notes! Fantastic! And I seldom rave this way about ANY recording.

I am constantly amazed at the sound quality on "minor" record labels. Never heard of Audite before. Conversely - I am constantly depresssed at the sound quality on DG discs. Got a new Emerson quartet Schubert album, and want to use it as a frisbee - sharp, tinny, shallow. How can those German engineers DO that?????

And Rick - I am getting the Kodaly Haydn op. 76 this week - being shipped even as I write. Can't wait to hear what you've been hearing!

More anon - with respect. . .

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 3069
Rick,

Thanks. I have one Naxos Haydn Op 76 CD, too. It has the "Sunrise" Qt. I suspect it is the same as the disc you mention. Must get my collection back.

Larry,

Thanks for the recommendation. I also like small independent labels. You mean "Koln"....

Anyone,

1984. An Opera in Two Acts. Music by Lorin Maazel

Also posted on "Teaching and Old Dog new tricks..." This Maazel's first composition, at the age of seventysomething. That is something to admire in itself!

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1051
John A. - yes, sir - I did mean Koln - in German - Cologne - in English. Thought I wrote that. Sorry, I don't know how to put the diacritical marks here on the thread.

Respectfully. . .

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 3074
Just teasing, Larry! I feel less neurotic about umlauts these days. There is also an approved way of rendering them in asci characters. That one would be "Koeln" I think, but hardly anyone bothers with this, least of all the natives, and probably only les Anglo-saxons. One may as well try to get it right, but it is often safer to stick to the English version. Sadly.
I once nearly missed a flight from Frankfurt to Geneva because I did not know my destination is called "Genf", or something, in German - I did not even recognise it. And, if the international airport info board could not even manage "Géneve".... what is there to apologise for? Much as I like to show respect, is it necessary to learn every place name in the world in every (other) language in the world...?! (Nervous laugh...). Then some counties (Belgium, Finland.... ) have two or more official names for most places, and these often seem to bear no relation to each other.

Off-topic. Sorry. Anyway, "Koln" is not a city. It must be something else... Apologies for the pedantry.

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1052
John A. - Koln is not a city? What else could it be, sir? Confused, as always. . .

Oh, I get it - another "let's tease the ole guy," eh? Hmmm. . .

Perhaps an ice cream koln? (grin)

Gold Member

The Land Dow...

Post Number: 1820
A koln is the oven New Zealander potters use.

Gold Member

LondonU.K.

Post Number: 3079
Larry, no - no teasing! It is quite simple. The name of the city is "Koln", though it is also known as "Cologne".

MR; "kiln" in NZ? Nice one! You can hear tourists in London commenting on what sounds like "Nelson's koln". It must have held his potting in check, losing an arm, like that.

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1054
MR - interesting - I shall pass along that info to Mer, who is always looking for new and interesting information artwise. . .

So - anyone - how does John (and others) put the umlaut and other marks on this forum's postings?

More anon. . .

Silver Member
Username: Two_cents

Post Number: 601
Cut and paste from Word

Gold Member

The Land Dow...

Post Number: 1822
"A koln is the oven New Zealander potters use."

Larry,

I was referring to the New Zealand accent - they use kilns like everyone else. But they have bacon and iggs for breakfist. More so on the south island.

Gold Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 1056
Two Cents: Oh, so you write your postings in Word, then transfer? Hmmm - never thought of that, sir - but it makes good sense. If I'm not too lazy to open Word, etc. etc. . . . .

My Rantz - yes, always wanted to go to New Zealand, and Australia. If - no, "when" we win the lottery, we'll go, fer shore!

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us