DVD+ and DVD-

Username: Tim

Post Number: 22
A friend is about to buy a DVD burner, but doesn't know whether to get DVD+ or DVD-.

He needs to be able to play his new disks on his SOny DAV550 system.

Any advice?

Username: Project6

Post Number: 84
DVD+R/RW are more versatile and play on most DVDs
cheers

Anonymous

To be safe, your friend should get a DVD+/-R drive. While players that can play +R discs are getting more and more popular, many of the older (2 years or older) players can only play -R discs.

Anonymous

I am looking into buying a DVD Recorder myself. But most seem to only use -R instead of +R. I found only Philips and Zenith play everything.
What else is out there and what is the difference btw the 2 types?

Anonymous

Welcome to the age of multi-formats and multi-standards. Remember VHS vs. Beta? Here is a link that you may find useful: http://www.dvddemystified.com/dvdfaq.html#4.3
As far as I know, there isn't any clear advantage of 1 over the other. I heard somewhere that +R is more suited for data and -R for video. +R is a newer format so it is not playable by many older players. It may be fine to use +R only if you have only 1 player that plays this format. But if you have more than one player or if you want to share the DVD with other people. Stay with the -R. The +R poeple are trying to capture the market. You may find the +R only burners cheaper and there are more +R blank disks on sale. If you are getting a DVD burner for your PC, get the +/-R burner.

Anonymous

I have the HP Media Center. It came with the +R burner. So everything that I burn, home movies from my Sony MicroMV, TV shows that I record, can only be burn this way.
What really stinks is that I cannot control the speed of the burning. If the DVD+R holds 4.6G's, then that's it. Most TV's shows, Sporting events, etc; are far over this.

I will be getting the Philips next month as it does every format. It's very sleek and seems to be an excellent DVD player.

Anonymous

I don't have a DVD burner/player so I can't comment on how they burn live tv shows. I would imagine that they don't do any compressing. If you are burning home movies of copying DVD movies, there are software you can get and will compress the information to fit into the 4.7G DVD. BTW, + or - R holds the same size. One program that I have used is called "DVD2one". You can download one to try for 30 days and purchase on line later.

Post Number: 6
better get that DVD X Copy now. they just deemed that program illegal, because it bypasses all copyright protection on the DVDs.

Anonymous

Have not used DVD X Copy although I know it is quite popular for ripping movies. I believe "DVD2one" is a legal software because it's only function is to compress files to fit into a DVD. It does not bypass any protection.

Silver Member

Post Number: 296
check this out
http://www.pcmag.com/print_article/0,3048,a=119916,00.asp

Unregistered guest
I just purchased a dual format DVD burner and was wondering which type of media, + or -, is the best for backing up DVD movies.

Anonymous

You should find out which type of DVD you player would play. My guess is over 90% of the DVD players would play -R but less than 50% would play +R.

Backers
Unregistered guest
Bullshit. I had so much problems with DVD-R discs that I had to chuck out the Sony burner and get a NEC DVD+R burner. Now I have never had ANY players crap up on my discs, and they are many. I made my sisters wedding DVD and everyone can see the DVD+R discs. Even my brothers 5 year old player that is not supposed to play burned discs.

Silver Member
Username: Samijubal

Post Number: 252
That's because you had a crappy Sony burner and probably not very good discs. An NEC is a far better burner than a Sony. DVD-R has slightly better compatibility, it's more like 90%+ vs 85%+ between the two.

Unregistered guest
I'd like to have a programm (for free) to compress dvd's to 4.7G from higher. Where Can I find it?

Silver Member

Post Number: 308
DVD Shrink

Jim W
Unregistered guest
I think the biggest pain in the butt is audio sync - My burned DVDs come off either my Samsung deck (dvd-r) or my Pioneer DVD-+RW drive and still have audio/video sync probs.. The part I ain't figured out yet is, some are perfect on my brand new Sony DVD player but are off sync on my Sanyo player (and vice-versa)---Frustrating stuff

Silver Member

Post Number: 312
I've burned hundreds and never had any problems, they weren't factory DVDs though.

Curious
Unregistered guest
what do you mean "factory" dvds ?

Silver Member

Post Number: 318
They were my recordings, not bought DVDs.

Unregistered guest
HOW DO I COMPRESS MY DVDS FOR FREE NEED HELP

Anonymous

I know of 2 programs, dvd2to1 and dvdshrink. They are both free to download.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us