Monster Cable or Cheap Cable???

Username: Cyberuff

Oceanside, CA USA

Post Number: 1
Here is the time old question. I need to buy an HDMI to DVI cable. Monster Cable makes one that costs about $125!!! I can get a no name one for $20. What do you all recommend? Some say there is no difference in cables. Some say it makes ALL the difference.. LET ME KNOW!!! :-) Thanks!

Bronze Member
Username: Jdsaenz1

Post Number: 61
Just like designer clothing, a little is in the materials used to produce the product, and a lot is in the name.

Omaha
Unregistered guest
I totally agree with J.S. Monster cable makes nice stuff, but is it really worth spending 5 to 10x as much for it? I purchased a no name DVI to HDMI cable for $20 and I have been very happy with it. Saving $100 to buy some movies for my new TV is alot better than having a big name on my cable.

Unregistered guest
I agree with Omaha and Jacob Saenz. The only time I would spend the money is if I had to use a very, very, very, ......long cable and signal strength was an issue.

OHIO
Unregistered guest
It depends. IF you have a higher end product, better cables make tons of noticable difference - enough to make paying the extra money worth it

Unregistered guest
Just purchased from sears a Hitachi 51S715.Excited to hook her up. have to relocate her to another spot in room and have to reroute the anolog cable coming from present location.(about 15') Have a splitter taking signal to three other rooms and sets. Sears crew will set up,but I question if I should purchase top dollar cables for loss of signal due to cable going to so many locations? Also--How far should you be to view this set properly? Any help for this old guy (75) would really be appreciated. Thought I knew everything, but I'm still out there in rude awakening! Any advice about anything concerning this unit is welcomed. God Bless

toxicchill
Unregistered guest
2 x the screen size/12
i think your set is 51 inch.. so i think 8.5 feet should be good.

Username: Jlberry1978

Post Number: 7
dont even buy the cheap dvi cable.... go buy a sammy841 upscaling dvd player take out the dvi cable and take the crappy dvd player back then you get a free dvi cable thats about 5 foot which was the only good thing in the box anyhow...

Username: Gibscreen

Post Number: 1
So you buy a dvd player, take the cable out, then return the dvd player? I'm no lawyer (actually I am) but isn't that stealing?

madmarty
Unregistered guest
I bought a hdmi to dvi cable from ebay for 11.98. I'll let you know if it was worth it or not. Radio Sh*t wants $90 for the same item.

Username: Tobybul

Grand Rapids, MI USA

Post Number: 6
Hey, Omaha, where'd u get the dvi-hdmi cable from???

Thanks

Username: Dmwiley

Post Number: 4
JS is right on the money, especially when one is considering short lengths of cable. However, Monster does generally use excellent materials which could make some difference in very high end systems or where longer lengths are required. As another analogy: if you change your engine oil every 1500 miles, almost any name brand will do. But if you do it once a year, better get the best.

Bronze Member
Username: Sailbyte

Post Number: 31
I got some great cables from RAM electronics on-line, including a DVI-HDMI cable.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us