Tv, with good HDTV, and good None HDTV

Bronze Member
Username: Rkvfire

Vancouver, British Colu... Canada

Post Number: 28
hey there, just a quick question concerning what tv i should get. i want to get a HDTV, but ill only have access to well, the only source i will have for HDTV is movies. is it alright if i used the HDTV for movies, and then None HDTV, for regular tv? what tv offers a good picture for both? thanx :-)

Tix
Unregistered guest
You can have both utilizing a display with a built in ATSC tuner such as the Sony kd34xbr960. All you need is an antenna and HDTV will be free for your local channels. If you don't mind waiting, there will be displays with 1080p and dvd's with 1080p for awesome picture with movies. Many people buy widescreen HDTV solely to take advantage of dvd.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 29
i heard that the built in tuners arent that good because different companies ie, dish network, voom, direct cable etc etc. they very with different hd formats. so when you have a hdtv you have to buy a tuner that fits whatever one ur gonna use.. is that bs?

Tix
Unregistered guest
Built in tuners and external tuners (i.e. one that comes with direct tv set top box)for over the air are the same in theory. The only difference is the quality of the tuner. Some integrated tuners receive signals better and some external tuners receive signal better. They both perform the exact same function whether it is built in or external in decoding over the air hi def digital signals. There are only two hi def over the air formats- 720p and 1080i and all digital OTA tuners decode these. If a person uses direct tv, voom, etc., the OTA tuner is built in so there isn't a need to buy a tv with one built in. Now, as far as receiving hi def from cable or sat. (not over the air) you must use their respective tuner. Some people go ahead and buy a tv with built in tuner just in case they lose their cable or sat. feed so they can still receive their local hi def stations. Ex. Your sat. goes out from the storm. You switch to your integrated tuner with an antenna so you can still watch Monday Night Football in hi def. Hope this helps.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 31
ah ok thank you! what kind of an antenna do i need, as stated in your last post? thank you :-)

Tix
Unregistered guest
If you are lucky enough to pick up signals with an indoor antenna, Radio Shack sells one for $39 on sale which is #15-1880. If you need an outdoor one an excellent web site is antennaweb.org
Input the required information and you will receive not only a list of your available digital stations but the antenna type as well.
As far as your question on display types for a good picture, there are a multitude of choices. I've noticed on this site Jacob Pagel prefers DLP and VinDSL,Lenon.com prefers LCD. I have a Sony CRT, and other forums talk of LCOS which is similar to LCD but is reflective like DLP. For budget constrained people a direct view CRT works well. If your pocket book is a little deeper the above mentioned technologies offer bigger screen sizes.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 32
alright cool thanx. ill look into these antennas. the tv types DLP, LCD etc. i would get these, but this just a bedroom tv, and i cant fit a DLP sized tv in my bedroom. LCD im thinkin is alright but i want to play vid games, watch movies, and just have a versitile set, with no risk of anything. what do you suggest? im thinking the toshiba 30hfx84 or samsungs LCD 30". your input? you have a sony crt? what moddel? and hows that workin for ya?

Tix
Unregistered guest
I bought the Sony kv32hs500 about two years ago and have been impressed. My previous display was quite a bit larger, a crt rear view behemoth. When the kids came over their main gripe was the inability to see the picture on an angle and the picture was in constant need of convergance. To address these complaints I became the guinea pig of Sony's newest digital direct view crt. My son-in-law enjoys 'play station'and my wife loves dvd on this set. Widescreen was unavailable at the time. Checking the screen carefully has shown no evidence of burn in (and I'm experienced in this area as my old green screen computer monitor with an etched block cursor will attest to). I utilize an LCD computer monitor at work but I find has some trouble with motion. This may not be the case with LCD television displays though. To sum up my rambling, I would recommend a direct view crt in the bedroom for gaming, dvd, and lastly viewing regular cable as the picture is very good.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 33
alright awesome thanks man. so would u suggest the toshiba 30hbs84 model? have a look and see what u think.. thanks man!

Tix
Unregistered guest
I used to recommend the Toshiba AF43 series for those wanting a good analog television as their comb filter is much better than similar priced displays. While perusing Toshiba's latest line of digital models I was expecting the same notch above the competition. At first I was somewhat disappointed that the HF84 series suffered the same upgradeability problem as the rest by only having one hdmi input. Wishing a dvi/hdmi dvd player and dvi/hdmi set top box? No such luck with this configuration. That is until I realized you were looking at the HFX84 series with dual hdmi inputs. While both inputs may not be needed now a future need may arise and you will be ready.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 35
so you reccomend the HFX84 set? if so ill go and buy it tomorrow.. what do dvi/hdmi do? thanks man for all your help!!

Tix
Unregistered guest
For those on a quest for the perfect picture a digital interface is used such as dvi or hdmi that keeps the video information completely in the digital realm without any digital to analog conversions. A person owning a large DLP or other such micro display benefits from having a source such as dvd (720x480) upconverted to 1280x720 when using a player with dvi or hdmi outputs. You and I will not really notice a difference using component connections on our crt's. Another reason to have hdmi is to future protect one's display from copy protection schemes that may downconvert hi def signals. Many sets state their dvi has hdcp which basically means the set will accept a copy protected signal. Hdmi has this built in. Even if one does not utilize the set for hi def it is important to note that many dvd players using dvi/hdmi outputs will not work on displays without hdcp. But i digress from your question. I would definately recommend the HFX84. My only advice would be to use a retailer that has a 15-30 day no hassle return policy. Enjoy your Toshiba!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 36
awesome man! thanks! ill be pickin up my toshiba shortly :-) ill let you know how it goes.. thanks once again :-)

Unregistered guest
Hi everyone...can anyone please tell me if there are any tv or monitors that support the hdmi input but not hdcp?? is it possible to get this at all?
Thanks in advance!!!

Anonymous

not sure if i understand question. if you require hdcp then hdmi will work since it is built into the hdmi standard. this is not the case with tv's having dvi as some have hdcp and others do not

tommysms
Unregistered guest
Hi..thanks for that, but what i want to know is can i have hdmi without dhcp on hdtv tv or monitors?? thanks thanks

Anonymous

hdmi has hdcp(high-bandwidth digital content protection) as part of the specification. many upconverting dvd players will not work on your tv if your tv does not have hdcp on its dvi or hdmi. also, sets w/o hdcp will not display a broadcaster's signal on dvi or hdmi if they start adding copy protection. it's also possible that sets that have only component inputs will have their hi def signal downrezzed to 480. imho it would be best to have hdcp to future proof your set just in case this happens. to my knowledge there is no benefit of having a non hdcp display

tommysms
Unregistered guest
Hi, thank you very much for your reply and info. I understand the benefit of having dhcp but the reason I'm after a tv without dhcp is for test purpose and I just cannot find a tv that have hdmi without dhcp support for my use. If anyone know of such tv available please let me know. Many thanks
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us