Need basic DVR to record TV

Rockwell
Unregistered guest
My wife is tired of dealing with tapes and wants a TIVO like recorder. We don't want or need cable or a monthly fee to record programs. We operate off an antenna so it's not very sophisticated. Just want to record sit-coms and football.
Looking for ease of operation.

Any suggestions?

Username: Porcinus

Post Number: 4
I, like you, am considering a DVR. We are also tired of dealing with tapes and poor quality tapes. We also do not want digital cable/expensive monthly packages from our cable company. Wonder how many are like us out there?

Anonymous

Just want a DVR for recording some TV shows. Don't need any type of service. Want it to replace VCR. I would think that companies would jump at this type of product. Don't need any service to tell a DVR when to record. Have spent a lot of hours looking for a basic DVR with out activating any service.

Anonymous

You can use a TV card in your PC.Captured the program and burn it on your PC's CD\DVD burner.

Bronze Member
Username: Lampright

Syracuse, Utah USA

Post Number: 50
Tivo is by far your best choice, it will work with "rabbit ears". You will however have to pay a monthly subscription to Tivo for their service.
http://www.tivo.com/1.3.asp

If you want something "free". You're pretty much out of luck as far as I know. A computer with a capture card would work, but it'll be a bit clunky.

Skip one lunch every month and just pay for a Tivo subscription with your lunch money....it's peanuts!

TimTrexler
Unregistered guest
Buy the ATI All-in-wonder radeon 9800. I have it, I get free TV Guide and it works wonderfully.

Anonymous

Brian Lampright has a point, but he forgets the PC option. Look up MythTV. It is a group of Linux hackers who have created a step-by-step "recipe" for you to build exactly what you want. At today's hardware costs, it is very affordable, and no monthly fees. Will require a modern speed PC running Linux (free OS), large hard drive, good amount of RAM memory, and at least 1 TV card. Additional TV cards permit picture-in-picture or simultaneous recording of separate shows. All pretty easy to put together, using on-line guides and asking around the Linux community. Linux Journal magazine will have a full spread on it next month.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us