Help with Hitachi 42" LCD 42v515

Username: Throttle

Post Number: 1
Hi there, I am new to this forum. I have just purchased a new Hitachi 42" LCD Porjection TV. I am wondering if it is HDTV ready? I also noticed there are standard audio/video Inputs on the back of the tv (red, yellow, white) I also noticed that there are other ones that are green, orange etc. also, what is S-video and what does it do. Is there a section in this forum for people who are as clueless as myself? I love my new tv, and would like to get the most out of it. By the looks of things you guys know what you're talking about. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Post Number: 2
I have been reading threads in these forums, and it says you need a box to convert your programming to HDTV. are these boxes or converters universal? Or do I have to buy one specially made for a Hitachi. I am trying to learn as much as possible in the shortest time possible. Thanks again

Post Number: 3
Also, I am running my dvd player through normal RCA connections, does component video give better picture quality?

Bronze Member
Username: Vindsl

Post Number: 59
"...does component video give better picture quality?"

Generally speaking, from lowest to highest picture quality: composite (RCA or F-pin), S-video, component, and finally RGB.

"...what is S-video and what does it do"

The one redeeming feature of s-video is it will run long distances with no signal loss. You could run it out your back-door and over to your neighbors house with no problem. :-)

"Also, I am running my dvd player through normal RCA connections, does component video give better picture quality?"

Yes!

"I have been reading threads in these forums, and it says you need a box to convert your programming to HDTV. are these boxes or converters universal?"

They're universal. They plug into your TV, like any other device (DVD, VHS, video game box, et cetera). Most of the ones you'll see (no pun intended) come with subscription packages. Without buying programming, you can't buy the 'box.' However, they also sell what they call 'terrestrial receivers' that pull in 'off-the-air' HDTV signals from local broadcasters. That's what I use. I don't subscribe to cable or satellite progarmming services.

If you go this route, I recommend the Motorola HDT-101. It's the smallest one on the market, and it works great!

Post Number: 4
VindDSL, thanx for clearing those things up for me. I am in Canada, an bell expressvu is a satellite provider up here. They have a HDTV receiver that puts 20+ channels in HD. I think i'll go with them, but i'm still not sure if i need an HDTV converter, or if there is one in the satellite receiver. Thanks again.

Doug
Unregistered guest
Rob J. How do you like your hitachi 42V515, any problems with it, stuck pixels,noisy fan, etc, how is pic quality?

D.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 14
The tv is awesome! In the last two months, I have learned alot about cables, connections, etc. I have no complaints about the tv. The picture quality is absolutely beautiful on HD programs

The non hd programs are obviously of lower quality, but I have no complaints. My parents have a sony grand wega 42" lcd, and on non hd, they are about the same, and the same goes for HD. There are no stuck pixels, the fan is quiet.

The biggest thing I noticed in comparison to the sony grand wega that my parents have is that the tv speakers absolutely destroy the sony's. I have a full surround sound, but still use the tv speakers as they have alot of bass, and really add a full sound.

Username: Gpi

Post Number: 1
Hi Rob,
Did your 42V515 come with any cables ?
Thanks
PS How do you still like the set ?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 18
I think it came with some low grade rca and component video cables.

I have since upgraded to monster component video cables, coaxial audio, and DVI to HDMI cables for my various rceivers (sattelite, dvd player, surround sound etc.)

I love the set, I have no compaints. I watched Shrek 2 on dVd last night, and wow. The colors are so vivid it was awesome.

Post Number: 2
Hi Rob,
I noticed severe vertical banding on mine as well as some other people had indicated on theirs too. It mostly shows up on light colors (gray) backgrounds.
Have you noticed this at all ?
Thanks

Bronze Member

Post Number: 20
Yes I have noticed this, and have been reading on AVSforums from experts that it is called a Silk Screen Effect, or SSE.

I guess it is a common thing with the Hitachis. I can live with it. Some people can't. I don't know if there is a fix or anyhing that you can do about it. Does it look like you are looking through a screen door sometimes? That is what mine has on light colors. I have a small living room, and am only 8 or 9 ft from the tv, but it still doesn't bother me.

Let me know if you find any fixes for it.

Post Number: 3
Hi Rob,
Thanks for the reply. I think the problem I'm describing is a little different.
I've posted a link below.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?s=ee7663c61c2dc396f8537e0cd4d12a9f &threadid=451866&highlight=42v515
These faint vertical lines show up on light colored backgrounds. To my surprise, at Soundsaround, they had a 42" LG LCD do exactly the same thing. Could it be a 42" screen issue?
This may be enough for me to return the set. I did not notice this banding problem at all on the Hitachi 50v500
Gord

Bronze Member

Post Number: 21
do you mean there are vertical lines all over the screen? mine just has the silk screen effect on lighter backgrounds, like lookin through a screen door. there are no other problems with the unit in my eyes.

I don't know if you are describing the same thing. the SSE is not horrendous, so I can live with it. maybe the lines you see are more than than SSE showing up. I can't say for sure without a picture.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us